Quantcast

World Cup Finals - Maribor Slovenia

CJM

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
i assume you need to add qualies to that though, i think theres a chance but its slim.

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
from trandscendmagazine
qualifying results unofficial

Men
1. Sam Hill AUS Monster Iron Horse 2:56.58
2. Florent Payet (FRA) Ssang Young Fusion +1.55
3. Marc Beaumont (GBR) Santa Cruz MBUK +1.63
4. Gee Atherton (GBR) Animal Commencal +1.71
5. Josh Bryceland (GBR) Santa Cruz +3.04

nz_dirtboy

Chimp
Jul 20, 2007
from trandscendmagazine

Men
1. Sam Hill AUS Monster Iron Horse 2:56.58
2. Florent Payet (FRA) Ssang Young Fusion +1.55
3. Marc Beaumont (GBR) Santa Cruz MBUK +1.63
4. Gee Atherton (GBR) Animal Commencal +1.71
5. Josh Bryceland (GBR) Santa Cruz +3.04
thats not the final result ay ?

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
nah its quali's,

looks like transcend was right about there being no live timing, which sucks

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
BooYah...

Rachel won. This was the first time she raced a World Cup this year due to being injured. Not a bad road to recovery A National Points win here in the UK, a silver medal at the World Champs and to top it off a World Cup win at what appears to be an amazing venue.

Eikka

Chimp
Aug 18, 2005
From Dirt Mag:

Elite Men
1 Sam Hill
2 Gee Atherton
3 Julien Camellini

Elite Women
1 Rachel Atherton
2 Tracy Moseley
3 Tracey Hannah

Apr 26, 2004
From Dirt Mag:

Elite Men
1 Sam Hill
2 Gee Atherton
3 Julien Camellini

Elite Women
1 Rachel Atherton
2 Tracy Moseley
3 Tracey Hannah
You sure that not qualifying...posted at 1.34pm on the dirt website...quals finish at 1, finals dont finish till 4pm.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
From Canadiancyclist.com

Maribor MTB World Cup Final Maribor, Slovenia

1. Sam Hill (Aus) Iron Horse / Monster
2. Gee Atherton (GBr) Animal Commencal
3. Julien Camellini (Fra) Mojo Orange
4. Marc Beaumont (GBr) Team Mbuk Santacruz

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
It's sick to see Pedemenaud get himself a podium. The Frenchies are on a bit of an upword sprial towards the latter half of 2007.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
It's sick to see Pedemenaud get himself a podium. The Frenchies are on a bit of an upword sprial towards the latter half of 2007.
Yea. Watch out for those french guys in the future (Sam...).
Besides, Commencal makes sick bikes...

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
From http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=mtb/2007/sep07/mtbXC6DH5worldcup07/mtbXC6DH5worldcup076

Race 6 - September 16: Elite Men Downhill,
Hill finishes off World Cup in style
By Rob Jones in Maribor

Sam Hill of Australia took his third win of the five race series in Maribor today, adding to the world title he won in Scotland last weekend and cementing the fact that he is the strongest downhiller in the world. Today's victory gives Hill a massive winning margin of 384 points over Great Britain's Gee Atherton in the World Cup standings.

Rain, which had been forecast for the morning, never materialized, and the large and enthusiastic crowd of spectators were treated to perfect blue skies and temperatures in the mid-20s Celcius. This left the 2.57 kilometre course bone dry, and the soft loamy ground began to get more and more churned up as the day went on, making some corners ragged, and exposing roots all the way down the course.

Dan Stanbridge (Great Britain) set the first strong time of 3:02.42 which stood up for nearly half the field before it finally fell to Aurelien Giordanengo (France). After that, it dropped rapidly, with a new time going up every few riders.

Defending champion Steve Peat (Santa Cruz) had his hopes dashed when he flatted high on the course. Julien Camellini (France) took the top time below 2:57 at ten riders to go, and it wasn't until Gee Atherton (Animal Commencal), at four to go, came over the last jump that the time dropped by a second.

Atherton's time was barely a second faster than Hill's qualifier, so there was every expectation that Hill could go faster, and he did - almost two seconds quicker to win by 1.33 seconds.

"I think this track suited me more than last week," commented Hill afterwards. "I really like it like this, with turn after turn, lots of technical bits and not as much pedalling. Everything went pretty smooth, but it was a fair bit looser than in qualifying, and some turns were completely blown out."

Hill's three wins in five events meant that he had won the World Cup prior to the final, and it was really a race for second. Peat's flat and Matti Lehikoinen's (G-Cross Honda) seventh place allowed the Finn to jump ahead into second overall.

Race Notes
- Fabien Barel (Kona Les Gets) crashed heavily in the semifinal, hard enough to have been knocked unconscious. He was taken to hospital and there is no report on his condition at this time.

- Crowds for the entire weekend were a reported 23,000 - 10,000 on Saturday and 13,000 today.

Results
1 Sam Hill (Aus) Iron Horse/Monster Energy 2.53.78
2 Gee Atherton (GBr) Animal Commencal 1.33
3 Julien Camellini (Fra) Team Mojo 2.56
4 Fabien Pedemanaud (Fra) France 2.68
5 Marc Beaumont (GBr) Team MBUK Santa Cruz
6 Florent Payet (Fra) 3.28
7 Matti Lehikoinen (Fin) Team G Cross Honda 3.56
8 Brendan Fairclough (GBr) Team G Cross Honda 3.80
9 Josh Bryceland (GBr) 4.65
10 Michael Hannah (Aus) Cannondale The Cut 4.95

23 Luke Strobel (USA) 9.19
36 Cole Bangert (USA) 12.48
43 Steve Smith (Can) 13.63
47 Tyler Morland (Can) 13.96
65 Chris Boyce (USA) 18.51
76 Jeff Beatty (Can) Mojo Orange 32.94

Final World Cup overall standings

1 Sam Hill (Aus) Iron Horse/Monster Energy 1057
2 Matti Lehikoinen (Fin) Team G Cross Honda 673
3 Steve Peat (GBr) Santa Cruz Syndicate 646
4 Gee Atherton (GBr) Animal Commencal 575
5 Marc Beaumont (GBr) Team MBUK Santa Cruz 526
6 Greg Minnaar (RSA) Team G Cross Honda 520

27 Luke Strobel (USA) 136
59 Duncan Riffle (USA) 48
75 Jeff Beatty (Can) 24
80 Tyler Morland (Can) 20
88 Cole Bangert (USA) 15
96 Steve Smith (Can) 11
105 Hans Lambert (Can) 6
111 Luke Kitzanuk (Can) 3
114 Charles-Alexandre Dube (Can) 1

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
my highlights of the day: bryceland in the last turn before the bridge near the finish area ... unbelievable

and steve smith... that guy looked so crazy fast through the woods .. als super stylish !

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
I hope Fabien is ok..any more news

Some good results there for us Brits both today and in the overall. Bad luck for Peaty I'm sure he will be back more determined than ever. Nice one Josh taking the Junior WC overall with his 9th place...heard a little rumour about him stepping up from Peatys royal team to the full Syndicate team..

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Congrats to Sam as Overall World Cup Champ!!!

...I wuz riding with SkaTodd this morning at Diablo when he told me that Sammy won it...

So that's 3 WC's, 1 World Championship, and 1 Overall....

Way to go Sam and Iron Horse!

:biggrin: :rockout: