Quantcast

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Great coverage, Spomer! Sven and Gary always do a great job, but that shot Gary got of Fairclough ripping off a tear-away in mid air is just spectacular.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
No argument, I know the facts about our system and he doesn't. :)
That's weird I'm pretty sure that I posted a reply yesterday to this thread, I must have missed the reply button...

Anyhow instead of being so confident about your system why not take it as advice instead of just brushing it off. SDSL, ADSL etc are all DSL lines. And many DSL lines like my own can upload at 1 Mbit/s which is more than what your stream was, since it was no HD-stream. And if one line isn't sufficient, you can always use loadbalancing. I'm guessing you aren't familiar with networks or haven't worked with them yourself? With loadbalancing you can achieve the upload speed of a 2 Mbit/s SDSL line with 2 1 Mbit/s ADSL-lines. But as I said a 700 kbit/s stream (which isn't HD) doesn't need 2 Mbit. 1 Mbit/s is sufficient.

And if you do this the only reason for freezing is the servers streaming to the clients, their bandwidth and performance are setting limits too.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
©2001;3050509 said:
again, for the millionth time, thanks freecaster! being able to watch it live is so freaking awesome!

fraser (maybe this has been said...if so, sorry, just too many posts to weed through), any thoughts on offering a lower quality stream option? the live WCT surf contests offer high and low quality options and i usually go to the low quality b/c it's hiccup-free.

i wouldn't mind low quality for live if it meant more consistency. plus i think half the time, it was my pipeline that couldn't handle the stream. i'd just come back and watch high quality footage after the race. i don't know what that entails on the production end, however, just wanted to throw it out there.

no matter what, the coverage is sick!!!
i agree sometimes the internet down under isnt that great hence
a lower quality alternative would be good just to get it live

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's weird I'm pretty sure that I posted a reply yesterday to this thread, I must have missed the reply button...

Anyhow instead of being so confident about your system why not take it as advice instead of just brushing it off. SDSL, ADSL etc are all DSL lines. And many DSL lines like my own can upload at 1 Mbit/s which is more than what your stream was, since it was no HD-stream. And if one line isn't sufficient, you can always use loadbalancing. I'm guessing you aren't familiar with networks or haven't worked with them yourself? With loadbalancing you can achieve the upload speed of a 2 Mbit/s SDSL line with 2 1 Mbit/s ADSL-lines. But as I said a 700 kbit/s stream (which isn't HD) doesn't need 2 Mbit. 1 Mbit/s is sufficient.

And if you do this the only reason for freezing is the servers streaming to the clients, their bandwidth and performance are setting limits too.
You don't know the cause of the problems. I do as do the entire freecaster staff as well as the UCI. Please stop speculating/arguing as you do not have the facts that you need. An 8mb adsl line is not a 2mb sdsl line no matter how you cut it.

What YOUR connection at home can do doesn't matter. My connection at home is enormous, but that doesn't really help us in the backwoods of South Africa or the valleys of Andorra. :)

edit: spelling

Last edited:

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
You don't know the cause of the problems. I do as do the entire freecaster staff as well as the UCI. Please stop speculating/arguing as you do not have the facts that you need. An 8mb adsl line is not a 2mb sdsl line no matter how you cut it.

What YOUR connection at home can do doesn't matter. My connection at home is enormous, but that doesn't really help us in the backwoods of South Africa or the valleys of Andorra. :)

No complaints from me, I was happy to see as much of the race as I did! I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into putting these races up on freecaster for all of us to view. Sh!t happens and it's not like the freecaster staff has multiple satalite feeds beeming down on them so that everone can view without issues, ie NBC Sports. Great job Freecaster and I'm sure it's going to get better. Thanks again.

CamMiller

Chimp
Sep 14, 2008
Saw some of the women's runs up on freecaster now, hopefully Faircloughs
will be up soon, Great coverage of the event! is their going to be a live reply?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the litter crew kills it again! the shot of keene is oh so awesome.....love the finals pics, grainy, wet, full of texture....definitely highlights what it must've been like out there, thanks!

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007

So you are telling me that you don't have 3G-coverage, any type of DSL-service or other broadband connection in Schladaming? Cos if you have you can use loadbalancing and with relative ease get the 2 MBIT upload you need. SDSL means it has the same upload as download, but that doesn't mean that two 24/1 Mbit/s ADSL with loadbalancing wont be as fast in the upload as 2 Mbit/s SDSL.

Have you tried loadbalancing?

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
So you are telling me that you don't have 3G-coverage, any type of DSL-service or other broadband connection in Schladaming? Cos if you have you can use loadbalancing and with relative ease get the 2 MBIT upload you need. SDSL means it has the same upload as download, but that doesn't mean that two 24/1 Mbit/s ADSL with loadbalancing wont be as fast in the upload as 2 Mbit/s SDSL.

Have you tried loadbalancing?
Just say thanks and enjoy the footage bud. Nobody needs a Monday morning quarterback. They have done a great job and have it all under control.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I just hope Clay finish the movie till December this year.

Wait till May/June is too much time.
No doubt! You could always depend on Rankin/Dirt to deliver a new flick by Xmas!

What happened to Tony Butler of Super8/Hypnosis fame? Those were two of my fav's!

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Just say thanks and enjoy the footage bud. Nobody needs a Monday morning quarterback. They have done a great job and have it all under control.
I'm not criticizing, I'm giving advice on how to fix a problem. I've watched their live feed several times and sometimes they work great, sometimes not so great. I appreciate what they are doing, just think the frame drops could be avoided with some fairly simple changes.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Well done to Bryceland and Rach Atherton taking there respective overall titles and massive respect to Rach for taking it in such style!! This year has been amazing with the footage from Freecaster, can't wait until next year! Again big thanks to the guys at freecaster.

So Gee, Minaar and Sam are they the old guard now :p 'cos I reckon Fairclough and definitely Blenkinsop are going to be pushing them hard next year! and if so what the hell does this make Peaty :eek:

dondon

Monkey
No doubt! You could always depend on Rankin/Dirt to deliver a new flick by Xmas!

What happened to Tony Butler of Super8/Hypnosis fame? Those were two of my fav's!
C
  1. Clay Porter made Hypnosis, not Tony.
  2. First was out in April, not June as was reported.
  3. The next film will be out earlier than the last one, just shooting on the new format can save literally days, weeks and months when it comes to capturing and editing. He also spent some time in New Zealand with this weekends winner so expect some good stuff there.
  4. Alex Rankin is working on a full length MTB project, out in April, not sure if I can let the cat out the bag yet what it will be about.
  5. MTB Cut will also have a world cup race DVD out before Xmass.
... its still raining here in Schladming and the XC bandits won't be able to match last nights party.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

Didn't realise Josh had taken the Juniors overall, good man! Him & Rach seem to be enjoying themselves there.... ;)