Quantcast

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So this is it. The overall comes down to one last race. Greg is up by 116 points over Sam. Gee is 67 back. Guido and Rafa duking it out for 4x.

I think Rachel already has it sealed up, as does Anneke.

Coverage starts tomorrow from Redbull's Hangar 7 (home of the Flying Bulls air team), as long as flights all go as planned.

Oh also, look for some exclusive, official, ridemonkey content!

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
*rubs hands in anticipation, dopy grin on face*

The boys left today, gutted I can't be there.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
should be good, wondering what this exclusive ish will be.

but yea should be good, sam has a good track record the last 3 times with a 1st, but gregs been top 5 each time as well.

itll be a close one

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Isn't greg up by 116 points on sam? Not gee? As i recall greg is on 1224 and sam 1108 and gee is 1078 or somewhere around there.. As it stands, greg has to get a top 5 to win overall even if sam wins(which he probably will judging on his past performances), gee also has an outside chance provided greg and sam crash out and place out of the points... Its going to be a very interesting finale for one of the closest world cup seasons in years... If you take it terms of total time spent on track in qualifying and finals, greg leads sam by only 9 seconds and gee is only 8seconds off sam, over a whole season. Can you say tight? GO GREG!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So this is it. The overall comes down to one last race. Greg is up by 116 points over Sam. Gee is 67 back. Guido and Rafa duking it out for 4x.

I think Rachel already has it sealed up, as does Anneke.

Coverage starts tomorrow from Redbull's Hangar 7 (home of the Flying Bulls air team), as long as flights all go as planned.

Oh also, look for some exclusive, official, ridemonkey content!

Rachel is far from a lockup, she only has 113pts on Sabo, and Rachel is 3 for 3 with crashing at Schladming. In saying that, she just has to finish top 3 in semi and final and she will be good, which should be an attainable goal.

And ya, Anneke has like 500 pts on 2nd place in 4x, done deal.

Considering Sam went into finals last year with about a 400 pt lead I think, this is a pretty off the charts final....throw in the fact that it is the FINAL race of the season (no worlds, no nats, no nothing) there will be some people laying it all on the line for a good final race result..."Your only as good as your last race".

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yup, super stoked. This will be a good one. for some reason i thought Rache was was out in front. I forgot that Tracey spoiled her plans a few times, and Sabrina has been pretty consistent.

Way to already be putting that spreadsheet to good use. Dork. ;)

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Go Greg!

I am so excited about this final. Greg as been a great assistant coach at my camps and something happened at my camp with Greg this spring that might of given him a little extra motivation.

As you may or may not know Greg is a genuine, down to earth guy but obviously very competitive on the track. Well one of our students looked Greg in the eye and said something like, "So Sam (Hill) is pretty much untouchable now, huh". The look on Greg's face was priceless as he tried to stay calm and not over react. Although he turned red he managed to calmly say something to the effect of, "Sam is quite fast but I feel I have a good shot of competing with him this year".

This ought to be the most exciting final in years. Looking forward to your coverage Fraser

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
is this even really that close?? i know first gets 200, but what about 2nd, 3rd.. etc. seems to me like a big gap for sam to make up in one race.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
is this even really that close?? i know first gets 200, but what about 2nd, 3rd.. etc. seems to me like a big gap for sam to make up in one race.

I think someone already explained that all Minnaar has to do is finish in the top 5.
that being said, a few years ago the UCI changed up the point structure to put i bigger premium on winning.

1st place semi = 50pts, 1st place final = 200. going 1/1 gives you 250

2nd place semi = 40pts, 2nd place final = 160. going 2/2 gives you 200

Going 5/5 gives you 132

it is a very real scenario that Greg's lead could disappear if Same doubles up and Greg makes any mistakes in semis or finals. Sam goes 1/1 and Greg 5/5, Sam wins by 2 pts. If Greg finishes in the top 3 in the finals it won't matter where he qualified, he still wins, but 4th or worse and he'll need his semi points. So yeah, it's still close.

Full point spread is on p.59
http://uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34424&

Rumor has it rumor has it Man Caroline Chausson is doing 4x. the rest of the girls are done for, and the DH chicks should be happy she's not entering that event too. They might all get embarrassed, along with a number of the men.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
My brother left on Saturday to make a mini vacation out of it. I wish I could go, but the school district doesn't really like it when their teachers take time off when school's actually in session. :(

too bad, looks like it will be a good one. I'll be glued to freecaster for sure.

Stik, don't tell me you and Warner are teaming up? that'll be the saltiest commentary ever (and by that i mean it'll be brilliant).

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Your brother is a lucky man, I am sure his stories will be good though. It really is an exciting time and this event will be outstanding, points battles, riders up for new contracts, great venue, all the stars are aligned for a killer event.
Ya, I will be cohosting with Rob, I meet him tomm. in munich for the beginning of our excellent adventure ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just remember Stik (although I'm sure you wouldn't forget)...Warner is from the UK. For every 4 beers he drinks...you take ONE sip, not 1 Beer. You want to remember the moments...:D

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
If Anne Caroline did decide to race again do you think she could be competitive with Rachel ? I've heard a number of 'insiders' say she probably wouldn't beat Rachel on the technical steeper races. I'm not so sure considering how outstanding Anne Caroline is/was. I'd still love to seem them race against each other.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
If Anne Caroline did decide to race again do you think she could be competitive with Rachel ? I've heard a number of 'insiders' say she probably wouldn't beat Rachel on the technical steeper races. I'm not so sure considering how outstanding Anne Caroline is/was. I'd still love to seem them race against each other.
i think Rachel has still a lot of catching up to do to Caroline, to prove hereself in comparisson.
She isnt exactly absolutely dominating the womens field atm.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
i think Rachel has still a lot of catching up to do to Caroline, to prove hereself in comparisson.
She isnt exactly absolutely dominating the womens field atm.
Well, are we comparing rachel to the acc of today, or the acc of 10 years ago? Because I'm sure ACC has her by a mile in her prime, both are great riders though.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
There will never be any girl as perfect on a DH mtb than ACC....others then and now might have their 'moments', but she had what people call their 'run of their life' every single weekend.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There will never be any girl as perfect on a DH mtb than ACC....others then and now might have their 'moments', but she had what people call their 'run of their life' every single weekend.
the same could be said for Nico V when he was in his prime...10 world championships...thats bananas

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Hill owns that course, others may pray for him to fall
You'd be pretty silly to bet against Hill winning there, but also the likelihood of Minnaar finishing off the podium is pretty slim - he's been on every other one this year, no reason this should be any different.

My tips - Hill to win the race, Minnaar to take the overall.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Very nice Littermag.

What this in littermag on Hill?
"... In addition, his major sponsor situations for 2009 are wrapped up..."

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Just got a call from one of the lads in Schladming. They had just done a run and all was good.

I should be there.

Grrrr....

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
so what does this mean:
In addition, his major sponsor situations for 2009 are wrapped up, so there is very little distraction for the guy with bushy eyebrows from Western Australia.
More info on that, please!

in addition i found a semantical mistake:
instead of plural:
...the guy with bushy eyebrows from Western Australia.

it should be singular:

...the guy with the bushy eyebrow from Western Australia. :biggrin:

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
The deal with Specialized is approwed and signed by Hill then I guess. Good for him :)

This is going to be a fun race to watch!!!! Looking forward to it.