Quantcast

World Cup Round 1 Results

olie

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Newcastle, Uk
Cant Climb said:
I'm not a Peaty hater.......he still hasnt done it and won it when it matters most yet. That's all i'm saying........he's got to do it when the heat is on, we will see.....

He always crumbles at World Championships and Fort William where he wants to win the most. And dont tell me about injuries, staying injury free is part of the game too........
mate you dont know what your on about, if you can buy the new issue of dirt and listen to the peaty interview, he said he didnt try at fort william as he didnt want to get injured for the rest of the season, 4th place is alright i suppose for someone who didnt try. At the worlds he crumbled? yeah, 3 seconds up on barels time 1 turn from the finish sounds like he crumbled to me, an unlucky slide out is what i put it down to. he can smoke any one in the world on a dh course and has proved it on many occasions, inc last weekend. he has worked hard to get to where he is no and deserves alot of respect. simple as that
olie

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
bizutch said:
you are such a hater for no reason...you must sit at home and think of ways to cock punch the world. Poor thing.....I pity your miserable existence. Someday the light of hope will shine on your sad, solitary destitution. :stupid:
Lol.......

You all know Peaty crumbles under the pressure and everyone feels sorry for him. He is the fastest rider actively competing right now without question.....but how many times in the last 4 years have you cringed when he blew his World Champ race run or blew himself up immediatley befroe the race.

I'll stop now.....the world loves Peaty, i love watching him too......

And everyone always hated the robot Nico and Peaty always openly mocked him which i thought was completely classless.......Nico had the last laugh. Well, he had all the laughs really......but Nico had to much class to publicly act in that manner.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
really....I would take the opposite view. Nico had to sacrifice everything personal to achieve what he did and was so hard on himself physically and mentally that it almost looked like a JOB instead a sport that he enjoyed. All that discipline and brutal structure and fanatical study and analysis.

I would think Peat had the last laugh because he got trashed the night before...trashed after...rode however the heck he wanted to and on the edge of sanity getting every thrill out of riding and possibly scaring himself silly. He got to have a rip roaring blast of a time every single day and always got to come to work with a smile on his face and a hop in his step.

And he probably got paid more too...

THAT is a JOB!

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i don't think nico sacrificed. i think he enjoyed the tactics and strategy and training...2 different personalities. peaty is rad. one particular race shouldn't define success. i feel he'd love to win it, but he's successful regardless of the world champs.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I agree with @2001 100%.....some racers enjoy the tactics and study along with the riding. And not everyone finds joy in getting trashed.......i think Nico enjoyed trying to achieve a maximum performance for each race........

Barel talks about this in his recent interview for Dirt Mag......maybe the best DH interview i ever read......

I love Peaty but i think he should have saved some of his talking for the stopwatch......

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Cant Climb said:
Lol.......

You all know Peaty crumbles under the pressure and everyone feels sorry for him. He is the fastest rider actively competing right now without question.....but how many times in the last 4 years have you cringed when he blew his World Champ race run or blew himself up immediatley befroe the race.

I'll stop now.....the world loves Peaty, i love watching him too......

And everyone always hated the robot Nico and Peaty always openly mocked him which i thought was completely classless.......Nico had the last laugh. Well, he had all the laughs really......but Nico had to much class to publicly act in that manner.....
We could bicker all day on this topic, you are just not a peaty fan. It is things like this that make the world go round, but to say peaty has crumbled under pressure would be wrong, he has been in MANY pressure cooked moments in his life and MANY times come out on top. He has choked at the worlds, true, but to say thats the race that matters MOST is your opinion. Some do not care about the worlds, some find it to be the prized possesion (rainbow jersey), fact is the rainbow jersey has lost its luster over the years and in regards to financial payback owning the rainbow doesnt command the money it once used to...Peatys story of missed worlds glory makes for a great story in DH mtb history, without it, it would be the same old boring tale of the same guy winning every year (Nico all those years, then Peaty winning em all after Nico retired) Peaty obviously still has a few more chances at it so only time will tell-but to condemn the guy because he has not won one race (while DOMINATING others and winning CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES) is just stupid really.

I have been to every world championships (minus 1) that has existed and seen Peaty not win, at times I think "maybe it is just not meant to be, maybe there are powers keeping him from winning for a reason" because he certainly COULD win...who knows??? Anyway, he is still my favorite rider to watch and just a great guy to be around and a really good friend when you need him. (insert gay fudge packin music here)...

rambling ends now

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Cant Climb said:
I agree with @2001 100%.....some racers enjoy the tactics and study along with the riding. And not everyone finds joy in getting trashed.......i think Nico enjoyed trying to achieve a maximum performance for each race........

Barel talks about this in his recent interview for Dirt Mag......maybe the best DH interview i ever read......

I love Peaty but i think he should have saved some of his talking for the stopwatch......
You Backpedal quite well...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
stiksandstones said:
You Backpedal quite well...
I don't think so Stik......and i am not Peaty hater. Just a fan of the sport and watching Peaty over the last few years has been painful for almost every true fan of the sport.

Once again, i respect you honesty and perspective although i don't completely agree with everything you say, but discussing it further would be just be bickering about your opinion Vs. mine.......

Maybe if Peaty wins the next 3 World Champs and he retires after Ft. Bill in 2007 he will put this all behind him........

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
I think it is a bigger honor to be the Overall World Cup Champion rather than a one day World Champion. It shows that he can more be focused and consistent during the whole season! Which I know is hard to do! Assuming that you can get through the season injury free! But Im sorry to inform that he'll have to take the back seat at the Worlds again at least one more time! I'll be taking top honors thanks :p

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
New question...

Why can World Cup races draw such big crowds and I not see 1 single person down the entire Snowshoe National course last year except those I passed. :devil: I know the weather was crappy and all and I'm not world cup pro, but why do those seem to draw so much and our nationals don't. Is it Norba? Is it America?, Is it... what?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
profro said:
New question...

Why can World Cup races draw such big crowds and I not see 1 single person down the entire Snowshoe National course last year except those I passed. :devil: I know the weather was crappy and all and I'm not world cup pro, but why do those seem to draw so much and our nationals don't. Is it Norba? Is it America?, Is it... what?
Well, W Va. national for example, ask some of the townfolk the week before the race if they know whats going on "this weekend" they will look at you like you just said "shazbot". Every year I went to Snowshoe, Switzer, etc... I would pull up in a huge race rig and always be asked "whatcha here for?" at the local gas station, hardware store, market, etc.

I know when we goto Fort William, Les Gets, etc... there are banners hanging across city streets, flyers everywhere, basically a simple word called PROMOTION. There is ZERO promotion to a NORBA race, none.

Also USA mentality, they care about golf, nascar, and ball sports. Not saying anything new here though.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
stiksandstones said:
Also USA mentality, they care about golf, nascar, and ball sports. Not saying anything new here though.
When I was in high school I had bowling class! Enough said!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
two1 said:
When I was in high school I had bowling class! Enough said!
True!
I had Surf Class when I was in High School...although they did eventually give me credit for racing MTB on weekends.

Bowling class! thats awesome.

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
Peat is the man! It's too bad NORBA are a bunch of boners and can't come up with some money, I would be stoked to see Peat state side. I guess he will be here for angel fire...

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
I just checked out those photos and the bottom line is World Cups are RAD! I don't think NORBA can spell the words Jump or Berm. Durango was ok last year, but they aren't running it this year : (

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
stiksandstones said:
I know when we goto Fort William, Les Gets, etc... there are banners hanging across city streets, flyers everywhere, basically a simple word called PROMOTION. There is ZERO promotion to a NORBA race, none.
U would have to say that is not completely true, yesterday I was fliping through Mountain Biking mag (yeah I know) and there was two full page adds of the WC in angel fire and a page for the Norba in Snowmass. I think cycle cyndicate is doing what they can like bringing back a WC to the states and possibly (rumor) of having Phil Sexton make the Snowwmass 4x track. That would be so badass because last year was such Sh"t. But My hat off to Eric Jean and Cycle cyndicate.

Side Note:
Also I think that Bike mags should not charge promoters for add space. in the full circle if they didn't charge them, the money that would have been spent on the add could go to other things like, a pro purse and bring the big names to the race inturn better coverage for the mags. light bulb.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Juano said:
U would have to say that is not completely true, yesterday I was fliping through Mountain Biking mag (yeah I know) and there was two full page adds of the WC in angel fire and a page for the Norba in Snowmass. I think cycle cyndicate is doing what they can like bringing back a WC to the states and possibly (rumor) of having Phil Sexton make the Snowwmass 4x track. That would be so badass because last year was such Sh"t. But My hat off to Eric Jean and Cycle cyndicate.

Side Note:
Also I think that Bike mags should not charge promoters for add space. in the full circle if they didn't charge them, the money that would have been spent on the add could go to other things like, a pro purse and bring the big names to the race inturn better coverage for the mags. light bulb.
Promoting in the small world of cycling enthusiasts is not what I am talking about-if you ride, you know theres a race coming. I am talking about promoting it to the masses...promoting it to the locals, etc...

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
burgerks said:
Word has it that marz let cedric down... This is from the cannondale press release

Cedric Gracia:
“I am naturally disappointed by the outcome of this race weekend, but a suspension problem which occurred just before the start made it just impossible to fight for the first places and unfortunately time was too short to solve this technical issue. But on the positive side I really feel that my form and the bike potential are ready to fight for it and no worries – I will be back!”
Where did you read that?

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
stiksandstones said:
Promoting in the small world of cycling enthusiasts is not what I am talking about-if you ride, you know theres a race coming. I am talking about promoting it to the masses...promoting it to the locals, etc...

True and that yet has been tapt. Supercross has it right lets have Clear Channel take over and they could blurb on us on the radio.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
santacruzer87 said:
One more thing, Oranges rock and it doesn't hurt that his fork AND his rear shock are both blackboxed.

-Ryan

right on all accounts... except the rear shock is a 5th, so not part of the black box program.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
this looks like it will hurt, big for a HT :eek:

LOOK AT THE DIRT, man that is some nice looking terra firma!

BRAAAAACKP

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
bcd said:
this looks like it will hurt, big for a HT :eek:

LOOK AT THE DIRT, man that is some nice looking terra firma!

BRAAAAACKP

and two of the three are sporting NoFear DH shorts...cool! I beg them to make a DH short and it goes straight to the World Cup riders...sweet.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
bizutch said:
anybody besides me think Hill looks like he's a little league bat boy in that photo. dude looks like he's all of about 3 feet 6 inches and been eating nothing but field greens and carrots. :rolleyes:
Sam Hill is short as it is. Id say like 5,8-5,9 maybe a 5,10. He does look to be lighter tho must be hitting the road bike or something.

Plus as said Rennie is pretty much a Gorilla strait from the jungle while Peat is just a really tall odd looking fellow.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
geez...I hate frickin' computers. You two just don't comprehend sarcastic jokes.

I've met all 3 in person....if you took Peat and Rennie out of the pic, he'd still look like a juvie... :eviltongu :eviltongu :devil:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
bizutch said:
geez...I hate frickin' computers. You two just don't comprehend sarcastic jokes.

I've met all 3 in person....if you took Peat and Rennie out of the pic, he'd still look like a juvie... :eviltongu :eviltongu :devil:
I perfectly understand the sarcasm I was just stating he was real short. But you have to admit he does look lighter this year, almost skinny.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
biker3 said:
Sam Hill is short as it is. Id say like 5,8-5,9 maybe a 5,10. He does look to be lighter tho must be hitting the road bike or something.
Sam has grown a bit in the past cpl years. He may be up to 6' now. Looks like he got a hair cut too. That prolly took a cpl inches off his height.

-ska todd