Quantcast

World Cups gimpiness preview

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
6th Feb 2010

http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/news31/world-cups-added/

I've had to add a new section to help filter out some of the columns, as with all the splits it's too much information for most people do want to look at! Once into a race you'll see a panel top-right where you can pick and choose what you want to see. This remembers your settings in a cookie so you don't need to re-set them every time you look at a race.

Let me know any features/ideas you think would be good for me to add, so we can get the best out of this when the 2010 season starts.

Also, remember to join the Facebook group (groan, I know) if you want to be kept up-to-date when I launch new features or add new races:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RootsAndRaincouk/293008574697

- seb

Original post:

So I'm in the process of importing all the world cup data into my site. Taking a while as I'm having to recode to allow a few things that we don't get in any UK races - multiple splits & speed traps for a start.

Calling it a night now, but thought I'd share the following screenshots:

Really highlights how Hill's pulled it together mid-season and managed to take the overall.

Hope to have the whole lot up live in the next day or two. All results from all races; can select which columns you want to see, sort by any column, see who lost out on which splits, who was fastest through the speed traps, etc etc. And I'll be adding the 2010 races as they happen.

Last edited:

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
can one see comparisons between riders/same rider for different years on the same course. would be interesting to see the effects of bike changes year on year for the essentially the same course. Give the fanbois something to chew one ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I could add a filter to the pages so that you can select one specific venue to show data from - nice idea Capricorn, I'll get on that.

Will also be a filter so you can choose to see just '09 World Cups (as in the images above), or just '10 world Cups, etc etc.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Nice work. You'd make a good team manager...

"Hey Mr Minnaar, uh, yeaaah... I was going over your numbers here. We need to work on this... By the way, did you see we're using the yellow cover sheets for TPS reports?"

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
that is amazing dude...

how cool would it be if a team who frequents this site saw this and decided maybe you could do some work for them. i think you may have found your "talent" for getting inside the door. if thats what you want...:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
As a fan of Peat, I insist you put an asterisk next to Peat's Maribor finish since it was the only mechanical of the contenders. Minnar and Hill blew off their bikes to cause their blips.

Peat - World Champion and (shoulda, woulda, coulda been) World Cup Champion. Stupid tires. :shakefist:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't know if the extra points would have been enough to give Peat the overall, but certainly even if he'd matched Hill's time he still would have been about 10 seconds adrift of Hill's aggregate time - and that's despite Hill losing 8 seconds in his spectacular Vallnord crash...! :)

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
ok,finally managed to find the graphs on your site, and it's staggeringly professional work. I reckon Rob and co need this stuff, so they can talk more race talk than some of that utter rubbish they utter (sometimes, it's damn funny, so they shouldnt ditch it completely :P)
They should pay you handsomely to crunch these numbers.
Again, amazing work!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Anyone know if they move the speed traps between men and women? If not the UCI has some dodgy readings I'm surprised they haven't spotted. Couple of the girls hit 66-69 km/h at Pietermaritzburg where the guys were topping out under 64.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/news31/world-cups-added/

I've had to add a new section to help filter out some of the columns, as with all the splits it's too much information for most people do want to look at! Once into a race you'll see a panel top-right where you can pick and choose what you want to see. This remembers your settings in a cookie so you don't need to re-set them every time you look at a race.

Let me know any features/ideas you think would be good for me to add, so we can get the best out of this when the 2010 season starts.

Also, remember to join the Facebook group (groan, I know) if you want to be kept up-to-date when I launch new features or add new races:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RootsAndRaincouk/293008574697

- seb

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
i like the little info bubble that pops up when you mouse over the data points. Just to contextualise certain data points, for example Sam Hill's time at Valnord, include the fact that he crashed? same for all riders and their respective crashes. With no crash, it might imply the rider is not exactly well suited to a track, or some other technical reason. Always good discussion points ;)

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Much as I'd like to make notes about crashes/mechanicals, it's impractical I think - we only know about a few, many go unmentioned.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK