Quantcast

Worlds Deepest Pool

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
that is friggin awesome to get used to the depths of scuba diving... now they just need to throw in more fishies

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Awesome. I figured the one that NASA had would be the deepest.

That'd be fun to go swimming in... You could play, "retrieve the ring off the bottom of the pool" and it'd take you an hour to get it ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Awesome. I figured the one that NASA had would be the deepest.

That'd be fun to go swimming in... You could play, "retrieve the ring off the bottom of the pool" and it'd take you an hour to get it ;)
I was thinking it would be fun to throw pennies in it.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well thats freakin sweet.

probable THE cleanest water they'll ever dive into

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it looks like a hole on a river that i fish a lot. the river is a limestone bottomed river and has various pot holes in it from underground springs. there is one hole in the river that we call the hole to china. i have run 105 foot long fly fine down it and it didnt seem to touch the bottom. the opening is only about 5x8 feet but man when you go over it in the boat all you can do is stare down it.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
golgiaparatus said:
How Was the back wall... describe
Awesome.

Dropped in around the actual crater, and moved out into the current. Current made it a drift dive, so hardly any work. Max depth around 135 feet (at least that's what we were limited to). LOTS of sharks. Maybe 50 or 60 total on the dive, but not too close to us, unfortunately. Back wall is a little sparse in terms of coral growth, but it has a goodly amount of fish life and large animal life. Vis was around about 150-200 feet, incredibly. It was awesome looking down and seeing the bottom in 275 feet of water when you're at about 80 foot depth.

Wonder if I have any of the pictures on my computer...

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
The ocean creeps me out. Rather, the deep ocean. This pool would freak me out a little..

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I would rather have a 100 foot long snake run in my backyard down a slight grade varying in depths of 4 to 8 feet emptying out into a nice kidney shaped pool.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
How many people on this board are avid SCUBA divers anyway?

The place I got the most vertigo underwater was in this place in Missouri called Bonne Terre mine - literally almost infinite visibility, 1000+ ft., large underground caverns that are about 500-600 feet deep off the dock you jump in off of, and you can see straight down to the bottom where there lies all kinds of stuff people have dropped when they jumped in (fins, lights, etc.). It's basically a subterranean lake with the above ground held up by massive pillars that were mined around. There's even a little underwater town with a bar and a theater that was built for the miners way back in the day. It's pretty dark down there (plus cold - constant 53 degrees) which only adds to the intense vertigo. If any of you divers are in the Midwest at any point, it is VERY worth it to check that place out.

The part that creeped me out the most was the clearly visible faultline of the New Madrid that runs right overhead of the walkway to the dock. You can see about 3-4 feet of translational displacement along a large crack.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
How many people on this board are avid SCUBA divers anyway?

The place I got the most vertigo underwater was in this place in Missouri called Bonne Terre mine - literally almost infinite visibility, 1000+ ft., large underground caverns that are about 500-600 feet deep off the dock you jump in off of, and you can see straight down to the bottom where there lies all kinds of stuff people have dropped when they jumped in (fins, lights, etc.). It's basically a subterranean lake with the above ground held up by massive pillars that were mined around. There's even a little underwater town with a bar and a theater that was built for the miners way back in the day. It's pretty dark down there (plus cold - constant 53 degrees) which only adds to the intense vertigo. If any of you divers are in the Midwest at any point, it is VERY worth it to check that place out.

The part that creeped me out the most was the clearly visible faultline of the New Madrid that runs right overhead of the walkway to the dock. You can see about 3-4 feet of translational displacement along a large crack.
Have any pics of this, sounds very nice. I allways wanted to go scuba under the ice caps in Antartica, but not haveing any scuba experiance that would be hard to do.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Any pictures available you could find online somewhere. They don't allow any cameras in the water for some reason which now escapes me. Same with dive lights, which is really odd since it is kinda dark down there. Only the dive leader who works for the dive outfit is allowed to have one.