Quantcast

Worlds in a week! Track preview with Brook!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Maybe he just read a few comments about the wc being boring with him winning everything that he came up with that brake-failure-story to get away with that bar-hump run.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Conspiracy Theorists have been working overtime on Vital on the Gwin brakes failure issue. I'm sure that anyone who's suggesting tampering is just exercising a bit of satire and isn't being serious.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/What-Really-Happened-During-Aaron-Gwins-2012-World-Champs-Race-Run,504

All I cans ay is thank **** he went into the crash netting and didn't get all squirrelly into a tree like Cedric. On that note was brilliant to see him up and walking in the vids and photographs

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Can we talk about how steezy Charre is?

been peeping
-hot damn.

I'm pretty sure she's the first woman to win a World Championship on flats.

Her riding is tight and her eyes scare the hell out of me.

I'm one of the people who's never heard of her. Heck, I had to search for her name 3 times while typing this.
I did remember one specific picture though;

everything about that picture is perfect

and:
When I first saw the pictures on Vital I assumed she was a dude. I hate saying stuff like that, but dang, she has a sort of intense aggression that has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with drive.

Moar shreds per pixzel!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I remember watching her run and thinking that despite never having heard of her she was friggen flying, especially through that technical woods section. Awesome to see.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Any nerds want to explain what's up with her brakes and those air lines?
From what I can see, there's a air valve on the right side of the bar, that valve is connected to the air hose, the air hose is mated to the top cap of the master cylinder. I think to possibly combat fluid expansion(inconsistent lever feel??) when under heavy braking, air is pumped in the air hose and into the master cylinder in between the plastic top cap and the rubber diaphragm, thus putting positive pressure on the fluid and aiding in combating fluid expansion.

Warning.: Im tired, kinda drunk and mostly french. What was written might not make any sense.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
From what I can see, there's a air valve on the right side of the bar, that valve is connected to the air hose, the air hose is mated to the top cap of the master cylinder. I think to possibly combat fluid expansion(inconsistent lever feel??) when under heavy braking, air is pumped in the air hose and into the master cylinder in between the plastic top cap and the rubber diaphragm, thus putting positive pressure on the fluid and aiding in combating fluid expansion.

Warning.: Im tired, kinda drunk and mostly french. What was written might not make any sense.
Something like that. Also explained in the vitalmtb slideshow for the finals. Something like self bleeding brakes and totally bad ass. Love that sh!t. I want to see moar of this "I'm mechanic and need to customize sh!tty parts on the bike" stuff.
And yes, last pic of her shows eyes with the will to win. Pure dedication.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Can we talk about how steezy Charre is?

been peeping
-hot damn.

I'm pretty sure she's the first woman to win a World Championship on flats.

Her riding is tight and her eyes scare the hell out of me.

I'm one of the people who's never heard of her. Heck, I had to search for her name 3 times while typing this.
I did remember one specific picture though;

everything about that picture is perfect

and:
When I first saw the pictures on Vital I assumed she was a dude. I hate saying stuff like that, but dang, she has a sort of intense aggression that has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with drive.

Moar shreds per pixzel!
Such a cool story!

The French coach was telling us at the finish area that it was so cool to see her traveling/sleeping in her van all summer and then this! He said at Ft. William she would take her bike to the bike shop and pay for a service like a normal client. He also said she comes from a dirt jumping background and did not come up through the French national program. Even though I wanted Floriane to take it I was still stoked to see Charre up on the top step.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
This is why i think Champs is cool, its one run one afternoon, fastest down is the king/queen for a year. I think it is good both overall and champs still exist. Some say being consistent through a whole year is what a great athlete is but i also think that a great athlete can deal with the pressure of only having one shot at winning something. It is like saying an Olympic gold is not worth anything just because it only happens every fourth year.

Nah, i like Champs, it is the only time we get to see the best in the world go absolutely flat out and push their limits above and beyond

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nah, i like Champs, it is the only time we get to see the best in the world go absolutely flat out and push their limits above and beyond
:thumb: Yesssss! No tactical racing but flat out, checkers or wreckers!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Such a cool story!

The French coach was telling us at the finish area that it was so cool to see her traveling/sleeping in her van all summer and then this! He said at Ft. William she would take her bike to the bike shop and pay for a service like a normal client. He also said she comes from a dirt jumping background and did not come up through the French national program. Even though I wanted Floriane to take it I was still stoked to see Charre up on the top step.
Shouldn't be entirely surprising though; from what I've read, her results this year have steadily been building towards this:

5th @ Val di Sole
2nd @ France National Champs
winner of the overall French Cup

I agree, watching her race run, it was pretty clear she was riding faster than the other ladies. I hope the rainbow jersey gives her wings in Hafjell....

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Re: Charre, I think it's particularly nice to have her win on the day that Jonnier has left the sport. It was also a little touching seeing her on the podium and in interviews, she could barely hold it all in.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I hope the rainbow jersey gives her wings in Hafjell....
...and a place in a factory team. Hell, she was even riding a steel spring and had to pay for the bike service at Fort Bill.
Though, I still don't understand that she was riding this bleeding system...
Maybe a genius called brother or boyfriend...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
:thumb: Yesssss! No tactical racing but flat out, checkers or wreckers!
I'm not a fan of Worlds. I've seen rider after incredible rider simply blow off the track riding over their head for that one single shot each year...for 15+ years now. Sometimes it feels like "the guy that doesn't come off the rails wins" kind of thing.

I know there is a lot of preparation in place for this thing, but it just always seems chaotic and anti-climactic when it plays out.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm not a fan of Worlds. I've seen rider after incredible rider simply blow off the track riding over their head for that one single shot each year...for 15+ years now.
Being an incredible rider is not enough. You have to be ET. ;)
Can you now appreciate what a perfect racer he was? Knowing exactly where his limits were and not letting the excitement get the better of him.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not a fan of Worlds. I've seen rider after incredible rider simply blow off the track riding over their head for that one single shot each year...for 15+ years now. Sometimes it feels like "the guy that doesn't come off the rails wins" kind of thing.
Which is exactly why I've LOVED watching worlds since freecaster. Entertaiment value is awesome. The only thing that really goes through my mind the last few years is "lord, please don't let matti die" :D

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I just skipped through last years broadast of the leogang wc and man warner was relaxed back then. Laughing, not paying attention to riders etc. sad that we wont get the old warner back.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I know there is a lot of preparation in place for this thing, but it just always seems chaotic and anti-climactic when it plays out.
You mean like Danny last year? Hill in FT. Bill? Peaty in Canbera? Crashes happen in all races.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
what was monkdawg's explanataion?

is he still TWR/Gwin's mechanic?

Last edited: