Quantcast

worlds largest freshwater fish caught

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
in thailand
BANGKOK, Thailand - This big one did not get away. Thai fishermen netted a 646-pound catfish believed to have been the world's largest freshwater fish ever caught in Thailand, a researcher said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The nearly 9-foot-long Mekong giant catfish was landed May 1 by villagers in Chiang Khong, a remote district in northern Thailand, and weighed by Thai fisheries department officials, said Zeb Hogan, who leads an international project to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.

He confirmed it was the heaviest fish on record since Thailand started keeping such statistics in 1981.

The fishermen had hoped to sell the fish to environmental groups, which planned to release it to spawn upriver, but it died before it could be handed over and then was chopped up and sold in pieces to villagers as food.

Hogan, whose work is funded by the World Wildlife Fund and the National Geographic Society, said he is planning to write a paper about the catch for a scientific journal.

"That's the best way to document this kind of thing," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

The Mekong giant catfish was listed as critically endangered in 2003 after research showed its numbers had fallen by at least 80 percent in the past 13 years.

Fishermen believe the catfish species has been declining largely because of dams and environmental damage along the Mekong River — home to more species of giant fish than any other river, said an earlier statement by WWF and the society
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/thailand_big_fish
pic: http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050630/481/xbk10206300509;_ylt=ArW39tS9F.Fh.dX5kpiTj_IuQE4F;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bGk2OHYzBHNlYwN0bXA-

J

JRB

Funny how the fishermen blame damns and what not for extinction. Doesn't have crap to do with pulling fish out of water and letting them die.

:stosh:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
manhattanprjkt83 said:
yeah i dont think abotu sh1t that big when i am in fresh water, asia is crazy.
I was at the dock at this one lake by the marina...and they have a cafe kinda place and I guess people would feed the carp and catfish french fries and stuff...so I got this box of crackers and I was feeding them, and I wanted to see if they would eat from my hand...well...this one friggin GINORMOUS bastard came up from the depths...probably to just feed on the crackers on the surface since none of em would eat from my hand and I about died...I screamed so loud cuz he came outta the water. Fortunately, I had done all the wakeboarding I could do that weekend cuz I was NOT about to get in the water with f'ers that size!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
manhattanprjkt83 said:
is that a stergeon, if so i didnt know those are in NA :confusion:

For real? They're actually rather plentiful here. I know they are one of the most predominant large fish in the St. Lawrence, biggest thing next to a beluga really.

…man what kind of pussies are you? scared of fish?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
CreeP said:
For real? They're actually rather plentiful here. I know they are one of the most predominant large fish in the St. Lawrence, biggest thing next to a beluga really.

…man what kind of pussies are you? scared of fish?
i guess in alot of the northern lakes i can see it, esp the st laurence, i just never thought about it much, i thought that was mainly russia

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
next spring my pops and i are rolling down to south africa to fish for some new monster fish that no one has seen in years that suddenly resuraced. on a flyrod (which we will be using no pussy **** here) the biggest they have brought in was somewhere around 500lbs and on big boat tackle close to a ton i believe. should be fun. nothing like fishing for big fish

oh and did i mention you can catch these from the beach on occasion?? dhgirlie would love it