Quantcast

World's Pics-Livingo '05

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
I was looking at the photos by Perkin over on Flipper.co.uk, he is a great phtographer, pity he doesn;t give us a few full quality shots! If you look in his selection of shots you can see loads of pics of the "pros" hitting this jump from behind, Fabien is getting it flatter then everyone, he is a beast, saw him ride earlier this year in Les Gets,some little things were mind blowing.

This thing of New Zealand getting fined for not wearing skinsuits has to be a slight mis-inturpretation, had to be something to do with logo's or colours or something, I have never heard of that at any other World Champs.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
blt2ride said:
Dang, Rennie's crash looked painful!
Was a little scary in person. I was afraid he was gonna highside it and fall off the bridge.

-ska todd

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
It was kind of hard to tell on the computer because it was a little blurry...but it look like his rear wheel slid out right before going over the bridge, he got sketchy and smached head first into the side of the bridge(little narrow thing on the course)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
sayndesyn said:
So did Dylan secure a contract with Hill now? I see pics of him with Spy and Utopia, and I know that Dylan painted his helmet, but had to run TLD stickers... Must be some new contracts soon to come...
That pic of Iron Horse rider in Utopia goggle is Jusso. He practiced but couldn't race b/c UCI had field limit on number of Aussies.

-ska todd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
konabiker said:
It was kind of hard to tell on the computer because it was a little blurry...but it look like his rear wheel slid out right before going over the bridge, he got sketchy and smached head first into the side of the bridge(little narrow thing on the course)
OMFG? Was it in his race run? I jinxed him. Was talking to him on IM and told him to win or blow completely off the course trying. Well, actually he would do that without my saying so...but ironic that I told him that non the less??? :confused: :confused:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
bizutch said:
OMFG? Was it in his race run? I jinxed him. Was talking to him on IM and told him to win or blow completely off the course trying. Well, actually he would do that without my saying so...but ironic that I told him that non the less??? :confused: :confused:
haha what?

you talked to Rennie on IM? he had time to talk **** on the computer before his race? what messenger was he using?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
AlmostHeaven said:
haha what?

you talked to Rennie on IM? he had time to talk **** on the computer before his race? what messenger was he using?
he popped up on IM Friday oddly enough...didn't ask why he was on. guess he was checking in back home. as to what IM he's using, that's up to him to let you know bro. I just have his info from getting him in touch with FiveTen.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Consistency and luck, he has said it himself he finds it hard to do a good final, some bad luck coupled with some bad decisions mean he isin't always the fastest man on the hill nor is he a top 3 fastest come final time on a regular basis, this year at the Schladming W.C. Barel managed to miss his final run.

He might to 2 time World Champ and a phenomenal bike rider, but he has never nor in my opinion will ever be consistently the fastest man in Downhill.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
CBJ said:
Barel champ two years in a row but he is still hasn't been a contender for the world cup - why is that?
Jeremy R said:
Say what you want to about the French, but they have been downright God-like when it comes to kicking azz at DH Worlds. Year after year after year.
When you see the organization, preparation, and lengths that the French national team/federation goes to at Worlds it's easy to see why they dominate at Worlds. They had an army of team support people there, cameras, radios, etc. Much more so than any other team.

-ska todd

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
ska todd said:
When you see the organization, preparation, and lengths that the French national team/federation goes to at Worlds it's easy to see why they dominate at Worlds. They had an army of team support people there, cameras, radios, etc. Much more so than any other team.

-ska todd
No wonder, aren't the French olympic/cycling teams supported with government funds?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
ska todd said:

-ska todd
And they always have.
They take a "Lance like" method approach every year to the worlds.
The Worlds are important to them, and they kill it year after year.
The only surprising thing is that other countries have not followed suit.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
ska todd said:
-ska todd

Barel starts preparing and focusing on this race about 10 months before it even takes place. He shows up the best prepared and ready to deal with adversity. The guy shows up mentally and physically fit.......having the support crew there is just the cherry on top. Barel has it all figured out in his head......when to Mach and when not to Mach.....

Now he gets to get home and race his neighbor to see who the fastest guy on the block is.......

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
nah...don't buy that crap at all...Barel is big, fast and friggin talented as hell. Plus, fast courses suit his style. He is one of the top 10 racers in the World and that gives you pretty good odds to win a World Cup or Worlds at this point now that Nico is out of it. If your odds of winning Worlds was 1 in 10 and the course even suits your riding style...your odds just went to 1 in 5....he won b/c of what he did on course. I don't believe he beat Hill, Minnarr and Peat b/c a bunch of French people with stopwatches and radar were trackside all weekend.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
nah...don't buy that crap at all...Barel is big, fast and friggin talented as hell. Plus, fast courses suit his style. He is one of the top 10 racers in the World and that gives you pretty good odds to win a World Cup or Worlds at this point now that Nico is out of it. If your odds of winning Worlds was 1 in 10 and the course even suits your riding style...your odds just went to 1 in 5....he won b/c of what he did on course. I don't believe he beat Hill, Minnarr and Peat b/c a bunch of French people with stopwatches and radar were trackside all weekend.

The typical US view...

Then read the article with Oliver Bossard in Dirt and you'll see that there is a clear difference.

NASCAR vs. Formula 1

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Well, let's see.
How about 23 World Senior DH Champions since '94?
Gachet won in 94.
Nico won 10
Barel won in 04-05
Chausson has won 10, not counting her junior title.
And this is just in DH.
On the XC side, you had Martinez and Absalon racking up titles as well.
Who knew, tons of preparation makes you a better racer?
Not "buying" is what everyone has always said, all while they keep racking up the stripes.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Nico is by far my favorite racer of all time, even though he's a Frenchie.

I'm pretty sure all 10 of his World Champs wins weren't Senior. 3 or 4 were Junior I think,maybe even 2.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
AlmostHeaven said:
Nico is by far my favorite racer of all time, even though he's a Frenchie.

I'm pretty sure all 10 of his World Champs wins weren't Senior. 3 or 4 were Junior I think,maybe even 2.
Yeah, I think you are right.
And that WAS including Chausson Jr. titles as well.
But it still does not take away the fact that French own Worlds.
5 of the top 10 women were French this year in DH including the top 3. :think:

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
©2001 said:

how nasty is minnaar's style? like he's at the trails or something!

akula, it's mary jane rottencrotch, not crotchrot...fyi.

Yo nasty why you got hate? will you be at sonoma?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
©2001 said:

how nasty is minnaar's style? like he's at the trails or something!

akula, it's mary jane rottencrotch, not crotchrot...fyi.
He looks sick in the air but I must say his hunched over style when on the ground is not too pretty. I much prefer Kovarik's totally original sit down power style or Neethling's off the back of the bike G-unit style.

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
blt2ride said:
Wow...what's up with all the spandex? Kyle Strait, Sam Hill, Steve Peat, Nathan Rennie, etc. It just looks WRONG! The worst part is, Steve Peat was making fun of spandex riders in both "Earthed" videos. Well, at least they left their visors on...
Even Cedric was in full lycra .. for the 1st time ever !!!

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
konabiker said:
I confirm, his rear wheel slid out on the mud just before the bridge. It was dry everywhere except this small 1m square section just after the last turn before the bridge which was still a little bit muddy .. His crash was impressive, he hit the bridge at full speed.