Quantcast

Worn drivetrain?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I haven't had any problems with my chain slipping, but my cross bike has many hard miles on it; how do I tell if the drivetrain is worn out? Is there a way to tell if one component has more life left than the others (like cassette vs chainrings)?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Your cog and chainring teeth are supposed to be exactly 1/2 inch apart from center to center of each tooth.

Roloff makes a cog checker tool, but you also just measure it.

Chainrings are a little easier: you can just look for the shark's tooth, a hooked profile to the teeth. That is usually another indicator for wear.

Finally, I would check the pulleys for wear, but if you are running shimano, you might as well replace the derailleur.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I compared the pulleys to a new der. and they look good, and I measured the chainrings and cogs.....it looks like the cassette is fine, but the outer chainring is worn. I spend most of my time in the big ring, so I guess that makes sense. It seems odd though, that the chainring would wear quicker than the cassette. Here is the rough age of my components

cassette: 24 months
chain: 24 months
chainrings: 13 months

This is my cross bike, so it sees hell during the winter (I do most of my training on it as well).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I compared the pulleys to a new der. and they look good, and I measured the chainrings and cogs.....it looks like the cassette is fine, but the outer chainring is worn. I spend most of my time in the big ring, so I guess that makes sense. It seems odd though, that the chainring would wear quicker than the cassette. Here is the rough age of my components
Chainrings are usually made from aluminum while the cogs are made out of steel.

cassette: 24 months -- OK

chain: 24 months -- Way too long -- maybe every six months tops
chainrings: 13 months -- OK as long as you change out chains regularly:poster_oops:

The standard way to measure chain wear is with a ruler or steel tape measure. This can be done without removing the chain from the bicycle. The normal technique is to measure a one-foot length, placing an inch mark of the ruler exactly in the middle of one rivet, then looking at the corresponding rivet 12 complete links away. On a new, unworn chain, this rivet will also line up exactly with an inch mark. With a worn chain, the rivet will be past the inch mark.

This gives a direct measurement of the wear to the chain, and an indirect measurement of the wear to the sprockets:

*If the rivet is less than 1/16" past the mark, all is well.

*If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.

*If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn. If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.

*If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the info! I'm interested to see how badly work my chain is....I'll have to measure it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you are going to replace a piece of your drivetrain, be prepared to replace the entire thing.

I've made that mistake of just trying to get one piece at a time.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
If you are going to replace a piece of your drivetrain, be prepared to replace the entire thing.

I've made that mistake of just trying to get one piece at a time.
I partially agree. If you let rings wear, replace it all. If you replace your chain before it's worn, your rings and cassette will outlast the chain 300 - 400%.

splat

Nam I am
I need to replace my Entire drive train , my one chain ring is beoyond shark tooth , it is nore of tiny spikes , and My chain is sooo stretched it is bad! make a lot of noise pedaling at this point. andthe worst part is I have 2 wheels I swap on and off so that means 2 cassettes that need replacing. and all my stuff is campy $$$ and right now my left shifter is out for a rebuild

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I partially agree. If you let rings wear, replace it all. If you replace your chain before it's worn, your rings and cassette will outlast the chain 300 - 400%.
I am with Loco here, as much as it pains me, but truth be said, if you replace your chains on a regular basis, your Drivetrain will last damn near forever, I mean the casette on My roadie is about 5 years old now, and I havent had any problem with wear yet. Then again, I have the park tools chain strech indicator, and when My chains get to half life, I swap them out. Only reason I have new chainring is, they came with the new cranks when I went from a triple to a double.

Here, linky to tool I use

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-2

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have the old school dial chain checker, but I never really knew how to use it....or if it works on 9 and 10 speed chains. I'll try and find a link