Quantcast

Worst bike industry website?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Just a rocks & glass-houses scenario. If you're gonna reference a website in yer signature that isn't updated you have to be able to take yer lumps too.

-ska todd
I'm not sure if we were talking about information or design or both in the case of this thread. But the IH site has neither (but speedmetal isn't really any better). The old site was fine and the info was readily available and easy to navigate. Now you have to watch a bunch of flash crap and aren't even rewarded with information. I understand it's a work in progress and hopefully the real and final site will be better, because no one actually likes watching flash. That's just my 2cents.

Also the canfield site works fine for me, I'm running 1024x768 in safari.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm running a 24" LCD, and its too wide for my screen too.

Funny stuff. :)
The physical width of your screen has little meaning in this discussion... it's the resolution you're running that is important. For example, you can have a 24" screen & run it @ 800px across...

The canfield brothers appears to be "optimized" for 1280px ... i.e. HUGE.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The bike line on the IH site is just a preview. I am sure once the site is done you will be able to easily navigate through the entire line. I can see why they wanted to get some new content up, since all of the '07 bikes are now released. Just give them a little time, I am sure it will come out fine.

When I went to the new site looking for some information I was also dissapointed that I could not find what I was looking for but I was psyched to see the new rider video.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Regarding the IronHorse new temporary site...

I can't imagine the thinking behind removing all 2006 information and putting up 3 pages of "show."

What should have been done to place these 3 pages as a feature on the existing site while maintaining the "full" site.

pretty bonehead move imo.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I'm not sure if we were talking about information or design or both in the case of this thread. But the IH site has neither (but speedmetal isn't really any better). The old site was fine and the info was readily available and easy to navigate. Now you have to watch a bunch of flash crap and aren't even rewarded with information. I understand it's a work in progress and hopefully the real and final site will be better, because no one actually likes watching flash. That's just my 2cents.
I just like being a prick and calling people out if they're gonna smack talk, that's all :) It's all good natured ribbing. Sorta like "your momma jokes".

In reference to the "new" Iron Horse site, a change HAD to be made on the website and we'll leave it at that. New content is in process and will be uploaded in the next couple weeks.

-ska todd

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
next we'll see ironhorsebikes.com appear as a generic link-farm... only to reappear a few days later as iron-horse-bikes.com

:D

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The physical width of your screen has little meaning in this discussion... it's the resolution you're running that is important. For example, you can have a 24" screen & run it @ 800px across...

The canfield brothers appears to be "optimized" for 1280px ... i.e. HUGE.
of course, cause somebody would definitely plunk down the chunk of change that a 24" costs to run it at 800x600. Makes perfect sense.

1920x1600 here. And the Canfield site blows hard. It wasn't optimized for anything. In firefox its a complete write off, and in everything else it looks amateur at best.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Just for the record. I eventually found the info I was looking for. The 2006 site is still up, but you wouldn't know it by looking at www.ironhorsebikes.com
A simple prominant link from the new site to the old would be a nice stop gap until you get the new site completed.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just for the record. I eventually found the info I was looking for. The 2006 site is still up, but you wouldn't know it by looking at www.ironhorsebikes.com
A simple prominant link from the new site to the old would be a nice stop gap until you get the new site completed.
Exactly, or maybe a huge banner on the 06 site linking to the 07 preview site. To completely remove (or hide) the 06 site before you have the 07 site up is pretty lame.

In hindsight though, the 06 site for IH isn't very good either.

Any bike company that doesn't have true specs and archives for 3-5 model years past on their site has a crappy site. It's really annoying to have to hunt all over the intarwebs/call or email a company to figure out what seatpost size you need.

LISTEN TO ME BIKEY COMPANIES!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I just like being a prick and calling people out if they're gonna smack talk, that's all :) It's all good natured ribbing. Sorta like "your momma jokes".

In reference to the "new" Iron Horse site, a change HAD to be made on the website and we'll leave it at that. New content is in process and will be uploaded in the next couple weeks.

-ska todd
Oh, believe me I know that you like to talk smack too. Anyways the new content is OK but flash is just too slow and cumbersome to be useful. That's why I like the Giant site, no flash bull**** and no stupid games.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
of course, cause somebody would definitely plunk down the chunk of change that a 24" costs to run it at 800x600. Makes perfect sense.
You're funny & you'd be surprised.
Again, physical size says nothing of what you actually see. Have fun!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Oh, believe me I know that you like to talk smack too. Anyways the new content is OK but flash is just too slow and cumbersome to be useful. That's why I like the Giant site, no flash bull**** and no stupid games.
Course I like to talk smack; keeps people on there toes, but I generally will bring solid argument to back it up. I have a BA in BS :biggrin:

The Giant site is plenty functional but lacks any sort of soul or feel (no hard feelings AJ). I like sites of a product I'm scoping out to give me some feel and vibe about their company.

In reference to the flash, if the flash on the main page and team page is too much for you I suggest maybe your computer needs some help. On my haggard, beat up laptop it works pretty peachy.

-ska todd

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Course I like to talk smack; keeps people on there toes, but I generally will bring solid argument to back it up. I have a BA in BS :biggrin:

The Giant site is plenty functional but lacks any sort of soul or feel (no hard feelings AJ). I like sites of a product I'm scoping out to give me some feel and vibe about their company.

In reference to the flash, if the flash on the main page and team page is too much for you I suggest maybe your computer needs some help. On my haggard, beat up laptop it works pretty peachy.

-ska todd
Soul? I hate nothing more than "soul". Every single time some Canadian says something about "soul" in a riding (or lack there of) video I want to kill something. Trying to put that extreme amount of Canadian hucksickle-ness into a website is wrong.

And there is nothing wrong with my computers (my mac runs FC5HD very fast and my PC maxes CS:S at 90FPS). Flash is just ugly and obnoxious. Flash websites don't create soul either, they turn people away from your website. And because the market you are targetting is mainly under 30 (and none of us have any patience to watch a bunch of crap) you will end up frustrating your consumers.

That's my view, yours may be different. But there is no soul in bike riding, there is a scene of idiots who think they are soulful though.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I fvcking hate sites that are completely flash-based, or have major flash-based components. Such a giant pain in the ass.

For something that you'd think would be flash and isn't (thank you jeebus), check Orbea's made to order thing. Proof you can have non-flash widgets on your site.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
But there is no soul in bike riding, there is a scene of idiots who think they are soulful though.
That made me laugh out loud really loud. I am sure my wife is wondering why I laughed so loud right now.