Quantcast

Worst bike injury ever?

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
There's one guy here in Montreal Name LUC, last summer he wanted to jump a wall at bromont, missed his wheelie drop, went over the handlebars, broke his 5th vertebra... He his now in recovery, he now have use of his arms and hands, one leg started to move...before christmas the doctors were saying that he would never walk again, but unsuspected progress from his barely working leg got the hopes up!....he was able to stand up by himself a few seconds a few weeks ago!

Luc is already thinking of going back to bromont with a downhill wheelchair someday!

here's the thread on dhracer...it's in french...

dhracer

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I ruptured my kidney and spent 4 fun filled days in the hospital. Some of the activities included; hold your breath in the claustrophobic MRI machine, prodded by needles and 'mystery' food..... sucked

Kidney healed on its own, the hospital did nothing but torture me ;)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
biggins said:
well, here we go.

broke both bones in my right forearm and my scaphoid, dislocating my hand thumb and wrist. compound. Tearing ligaments and tendons. 36 staples and stitches, sutures in my tendons, 4 pins, 4 screws and a metal plate. Synthetic bone reconstruction. 3 different casts 2 braces 12 weeks of pt. I will never have more than 50% mobility in my arm.the red circle is one of the pins that was stickin out of my arm for 6 weeks.

DUDE! You like, broke your hand off! :dead: :dead:
It looks like some kind of wierd alien hand or something you'd find in one of those cheesy joke shops.
That sucks! You win. (I sure hope its better now though :thumb: )

WhItTy

Monkey
Feb 3, 2005
P.E.I., Canada
I actually almost lost my boys, luckley(SP?) my handlebars decided to enter me 2 inches away :rolleyes: Anyways i had 8 stitches there, and then the next year i put my pedal in my shin and got 9 more for a grand total of 17 stitches. :)

mine from riding is a permanently dislocated collarbone at my rigth shoulder, both AC and CC joints are blown apart. went over the bars DHing, 5 feet to only my shoulder on a rock. was lucky it wasnt worse...wearing body armour saved any broken bones, but had teh dainese honeycomb imprint on my shoulder for a week. worst injury ever is a blown acl when snowboarding, and when i mean blown, it was like two frayed ends of a climbing rope, there was nothing connected. not bad comparatively, but should still bugs me at times. the knee is better than the other one, even 8 years later.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
biggins said:
may 7 last year. http://www.dcstreet.com/video/ there is a video on that page, just look for the nasty x-ray picture. i broke it doing something i had done 2 times before.

after a few weeks of PT i had them custom make a brace that i could ride in, i brought my bike in and got on squeezing my handlebars while the brace was still heated forming it around my handlebars.
Biggins is my broken hand buddy! My big injury was similar, and happend about 2 months after biggins. I broke both hands and shattered my wrist. One hand not too bad. The right hand though was pretty messed up.

Right hand and arm:
-snapped the head off the radius (apparently a rare inward distal radial break)
-8 screws and two plates to put the radius back together
-shattered the scaphoid in too many pieces to count
-small pieces were removed, and had a fake "real" bone made from my pelvis and grafted between what was left of the scaphoid. Acutrak screw holding that all together
-severed all the tendons and ligaments and soft tissue holding my hand on to my wrist (other than the skin)
-Tendons and ligaments were sewn back together, some were shredded so are now shorter
-ripped out the cartiledge between the radius and ulna
-broke a piece of cartlidge off in my elbow
-fractured my forefinger

Left hand:
-fractured a bone at the base of the hand (pisiform)

Rest of my body:
- visibly bruised my skull/concussion, had some wicked memory loss
-bruised my abdominal wall, stomach, and intestines and pelvis
-still trying to figure out why my knee now doesn't work right (maybe an mcl)

Biggins-what kind of brace do you have?? Do you have a picture? I'm getting a custom carbon fiber brace made in about 2 weeks. It's an Innovation Sports brace, they also make the CTI knee braces. I'm pretty stoked!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
OMG!
All hail Biggins and DH Diva -the royalty of bike injuries!

Diva, I know by your posts that your recovery continues.
~~~good healing vibes your way~~~

(I've only managed a collarbone broken in two places and a large chunk of flesh out of the inside of my knee.)

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
This is an impresive list. Damn near scared me off my bike.............................Just kidding I love the pain.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Stoney's list enough is enough to make me want to quit. Im a pretty methodical rider so I dont wreck all that much, but I have only been in DH for two years and trials just gets you cuts and bruises for the most part. My only memorbale injuries were a broken collar bone, broken finger/hand, and a tennis ball sized hematoma about 1 inch north of mister happy from the end of a handlebar.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DH Diva said:
Biggins is my broken hand buddy! My big injury was similar, and happend about 2 months after biggins. I broke both hands and shattered my wrist. One hand not too bad. The right hand though was pretty messed up.

Right hand and arm:
-snapped the head off the radius (apparently a rare inward distal radial break)
-8 screws and two plates to put the radius back together
-shattered the scaphoid in too many pieces to count
-small pieces were removed, and had a fake "real" bone made from my pelvis and grafted between what was left of the scaphoid. Acutrak screw holding that all together
-severed all the tendons and ligaments and soft tissue holding my hand on to my wrist (other than the skin)
-Tendons and ligaments were sewn back together, some were shredded so are now shorter
-ripped out the cartiledge between the radius and ulna
-broke a piece of cartlidge off in my elbow
-fractured my forefinger

Left hand:
-fractured a bone at the base of the hand (pisiform)

Rest of my body:
- visibly bruised my skull/concussion, had some wicked memory loss
-bruised my abdominal wall, stomach, and intestines and pelvis
-still trying to figure out why my knee now doesn't work right (maybe an mcl)

Biggins-what kind of brace do you have?? Do you have a picture? I'm getting a custom carbon fiber brace made in about 2 weeks. It's an Innovation Sports brace, they also make the CTI knee braces. I'm pretty stoked!

yeh we are broken buddies. how is recovery coming? last i remember it wasnt going to well. are you gonna have to get the scaphoid removed? The doc talked to me about that. in the future it can dies from being wrecked so bad. mine actually made it in an issue of twenty-six magazine as well.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Don't have any serious injuries, but I've cut my shin down to the bone with cleated pedals quite a few times, which is why I wear shin guards while doing almost anything. It was more annoying than anything else, but would definitely ruin my day.