Quantcast

worst day ever

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It finally happened yesterday. My little girl got hurt. Not badly...but bad enough.

Worst of all (well not THE worst)...it was on my mom's watch. I was helping my dad with his boat, my stay-at home-mom wife was enjoying her non-baby day, so Emily was at my mom's place.

So basically my daughter (almost 16 months old) tripped over her feet in my mom's kitchen and smacked head on the corner of their kitchen counter. Her forehead split open vertically right in the middle. A deep cut over an inch long.

The hospital glued it back together. But in the days before the glue, she would have been looking at 6-8 stitches easily....right in the MIDDLE of her forehead.

So my mom feels just awful. My wife WAS initially angry with my mom...ya know knee jerk reaction...but she's calmed down. She is upset though that our perfect little girl is going to have such a gnarly and visible scar. Boys can pull that off better than girls, ya know?

Funnily enough, Emily was acting as if nothing happened once it was all over.

But my god that was awful. I can't imagine something REALLY bad happening to her.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
That must have been tough. I've had to stop myself sometimes because I have the tendency to walk around behind my daughter, ready to catch her at a moments notice. She's 4 now, and I'm learning to let her go do things on her own and learn from her mistakes so to speak, but it's hard. I can't be under every jungle gym and at base of every tree she climbs forever.

Or can I... :think: :p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My friends 2 1/2 year old tripped and hit the corner of two walls. It left a knot in the middle of her forehead about the size of a grape for a day or two. I had never heard such screaming before.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Since they glued it together and with her being as young as she is, you might not even notice the scar. Facial wounds usually heal better than others.
We were in an accident about 9 months ago and my girlie leaned across the carseat to cover our 7 month old. She took the full impact of the window directly in her face. It looked like she had been shot with a shotgun. The worst cut was in the corner of her right eye where it meets her nose. It was very jagged and deep and required several stitches. Now, unless you look REAL close, you can hardly tell its there. All of the other cuts are almost completely invisible as well.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
All the best man for your little daughter, as someone else said, wounds at a very early age, heal up cosmetically to an almost perfect rate as i ve heard.

The most important part though, is that she is healthy!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hell man you think a bump on the head is bad, wait till she brings her first boyfriend home.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yikes! One part of parenthood I don't look forward to. I am sure she'll heal up fine. If you're worried about the scar, a little vitamin E will help to minimize it...talk to her dr. and I am sure he/she can recommend something.

Glad she's ok though!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Bless your daughters heart, I'm glad to hear she's ok.

Noah rolled out of the bed at the sitters about a month ago, he was fine, but like your wife, I was pretty riled up at the sitter for a while...........but I got over it.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
My mom was chasing one of my daughers around and the daughter, who was 3 at the time and clumsy, tripped and split her head open on the fire place. I about killed my mom.

Kids do mend quick Mike, she'll be good quick.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
glad to hear she's OK. that can be pretty scary. we've been lucky so far in terms of blunt trauma, but miles did fall into a pool once (luckily our friend Jen was right nearby, leaned over, grabbed his leg and pulled him out), and he was choking on some food once too (that was not fun but nothing bad happened- definitely brush up on the heimlich maneuver).