Quantcast

Worst downhill bike of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
i would have to say the khs is prob the worst but im gonna get flamed for this the karpel Armagedon (if thats how u spell it) or apocalypse, oh fu*k knows sumthing to do with the end of the world...lol..well it had 14" of travel whats the point, and bender the fender rode it...:busted:

and i heard they were crap made too, but i just heard it so dont kill me.....:imstupid:
As far as a "DH" bike goes, the Karpiels are great preforming bikes, the Armys are definitely not a top race bike for sure, the Disco was a good one for racing. They were one of the more durable bikes out there, the had a few issues at the end.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Did Pro-Flex (great name, btw) ever make a 'downhill' rig? Maybe even one with a Noleen Smart Shock and it's swell little red light...Set up with a Noleen sprung Girvin, and you've got yourself a pinner!
The Animal. They even made a version with cheetah spot print paint.

K2 version - fancy paint.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Did Pro-Flex (great name, btw) ever make a 'downhill' rig? Maybe even one with a Noleen Smart Shock and it's swell little red light...Set up with a Noleen sprung Girvin, and you've got yourself a pinner!
I think they tried more when K2 bought them over in 1998. There was the K2 Animal and that was considered a DH bike back then...I guess (yellow with black tiger stripes or something). It had 6" of rear travel and the shock passed through the seattube.

edit. There ya go! I knew there was a pic somewhere. And it DID have the smart shock.

They also had this cool looking single pivot team racebike. I don't know anything about it though but they ran it with Magura disc brakes and the Noleen DH fork.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ha, I used to have one of those Girvin Chubby forks! It was really smoothe after you got the Mountainspeed spring kit for it.

Then I crashed at Mont Tremblant and bend the lowers.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Huh, I didn't know Girvin made traditional telescopic fork...I was hoping to see that wacky scissor link contraption :) The Vector was it?

Btw, nice find on the 'fancy paint'...I can almost see one of the 90120 punks rolling around the boardwalk on it...

derry

Chimp
May 27, 2006
Look at all the poor single pivot designs from the past, what do they remind you of,

AN ORANGE 224...........

Enough said.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
worst fork ever? zzyzx
worst frame ever (and avail to the public?) khs Dominatrix

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Woo hoo, Renegade frames, thats a blast from the Past! Christian Bizotto raced shorter travel Renegades for years in xc and DH races in FL without incident. I remeber looking at the DH bike in question after it snapped and thinking it likely was not heat treated.

Story time.

Back in '96 there was a team called Pro-Dynamix that was run by an Italian living in Florida. He had connections and was trying to import bikes from the famous Battaglin from Italy. They made beautiful XC hardtails, but being a roadie company, didn't even know what a Dh bike was. Instead of getting an M1 and slapping their stickers on it like Tomac and everyone else, they had a local Florida framebuilder make a prototype DH bike.

The bike finally arrived at the Michigan DH race (yeah, DH in Michigan - the start of the Norba's fall). Shaums March saw the bike shortly after it was built and asked to ride it. He was bouncing up and down in the parking lot and the frame broke. The look on his face was priceless - too funny. He let the inteded rider use one of his Mountain Cycles for the race which was a good thing.

I don't think the bike even had one run on it before it broke, so it gets my vote as the worst ever. Although, there are only a few people that ever saw it.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
No, but before it was the pipeline it was the vertex TO or something along those lines, and was essentially the same bike, but it was definately marketed toward DH. I'll dig out my 96 MBA downhill special if you want....

I'm not saying it wasn't a good bike, but not for DH.
I stand corrected then I didn't know that.

I'm surprised no one has bashed the mantra yet tho

or these:

:busted:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Aren't you the wise one? Did you or did you not at one point own a Ted Wojick with a carbon Battle rear triangle?

Those bikes were raced competively by the Lake Racing team out of florida, and one of my next door neighbors won the Expert race at Mt St Anne on one. That was at least as non-suited to DH in 1997-8 as the bike that the Prodyamix cats were flogging.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I heard the haro 357 was crappy enough that mick was running one of kovarik's m3s (or his own he bought) in europe before going to cannondale. Lots of footage of him in haro suit on a red m3 in earthed 3.

I heard the haro 357 was crappy enough that mick was running one of kovarik's m3s (or his own he bought) in europe before going to cannondale. Lots of footage of him in haro suit on a red m3 in earthed 3.
There is a lot of footage of him riding all sorts of different bikes, I remember seeing him on a Cove shocker some time that year. I thought it was cause he pretty much broke all his Haro's that year and had no choice but to ride whatever he could get his hands on just to race.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I'm surprised no one has bashed the mantra yet tho

or these:

:busted:
Umm.. why bash a f/s bike that was never even intended to go off-road, much less DH?

I test-road a Soft-ride road bike some years ago... incredibly comfortable to ride, although pedaling took getting used to. In a way it was good because it forced proper technique. If your technique was bad, you'd bounce around like crazy. I believe they are still popular amoung the tri-crowd. I wouldn't mind one for commuting/touring.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Aren't you the wise one? Did you or did you not at one point own a Ted Wojick with a carbon Battle rear triangle?

Those bikes were raced competively by the Lake Racing team out of florida, and one of my next door neighbors won the Expert race at Mt St Anne on one. That was at least as non-suited to DH in 1997-8 as the bike that the Prodyamix cats were flogging.
no, the battle rear end was aluminum.

as for FLA DH, i took yr post to mean that there were actual downhill races in florida, not that the team was from there.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
as for FLA DH, i took yr post to mean that there were actual downhill races in florida, not that the team was from there.
Back in the day, you would not believe the number of people from Florida who would drive up here for a crappy local DH race.
People would drive from Miami to some local NC race, some of them being short 2 minute pedalfest runs. I can remember groups from down there being at races at Clemson, Charlotte, Fontana etc...

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
As far as a "DH" bike goes, the Karpiels are great preforming bikes, the Armys are definitely not a top race bike for sure, the Disco was a good one for racing. They were one of the more durable bikes out there, the had a few issues at the end.
ahhh im guessing u ride one??? lol so u would be leaning towards liking it....but i thought they were pritty bad and when i rode one it was liek riding a mush...but i was talkinf about the super big one the 14" rear best...not yhe standar4d issue ones:pirate2:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ahhh im guessing u ride one??? lol so u would be leaning towards liking it....but i thought they were pritty bad and when i rode one it was liek riding a mush...but i was talkinf about the super big one the 14" rear best...not yhe standar4d issue ones:pirate2:
there's someone on here who owns an apoc, and uses it for dh race, not hucking. I'm not going to deny the silliness of that bike, but I would love to play with one for a while, imagine 6" of sag with 7" of active travel left...it would be neat to ride, but maybe not race-effective.

Secondly, karpiels were some of the best bikes I've toyed with, and I think most people agree. You must have gotten a skinny person's bike or something. I've ridden an army and a disco and they both pedalled fantastically, with no bob. Jan's QC wasn't the best, and it's sad to see those bikes go.

Status
Not open for further replies.