Quantcast

Worst mechanical designs still seen on bicycles

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
yup, it's a gearbox essentially only rohloff packed it in a hub. i think that making a gearbox (as opposed to putting a rohloff hub) in the bb area allows for more flexibility in the design.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
the only uglier bike i've ever seen is the hrotor krutor and old big hits with supermonsters and 24" rear wheels are kinda sexy next to this thing.

1183ugly-friend-get-one.jpg

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This ugly ass thing. While not terrible in it's mechanical layout, it's certainly horrible to look at.

Are those actual new Ellsworths in boxes that people are going to buy? At any rate, it's probably too many of them.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Clipless pedals that require pins to hold your foot in place so you won't unclip. They also used to block all the time and unclip if you used the wrong shoes. It's the KHS DH-50 of the pedal world.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I picture the same guy that buys Ellsworths, and being the same dude who a.) has one of those wide single skis, b.) hardshell boots and a 300 snowboard c.) Well tell you endlessly about why the mechanics of what he's into are awesome.

He'll also tell you on the climb up motivational things like "you've gotta earn it" or he'll tell you dropping your seatpost is cheating. But you'll have to almost smash into him on the descent because he's going 4mph with his seat 36 feet in the air.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He'll also tell you on the climb up motivational things like "you've gotta earn it" or he'll tell you dropping your seatpost is cheating. But you'll have to almost smash into him on the descent because he's going 4mph with his seat 36 feet in the air.
and he'll be wearing full lycra, with hard shin and elbow pads over it

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
^^^

Really?

I'm no WTB hater, but when I tried the weirwolf a few years ago I found that it was one of those tires that will dump you in the dirt with no warning at all.

I did like the Prowler (forget which model) on rear wheel.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
The WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LTs are the best tire I've ever used. Can't wait for the new version in 26".
+1 on that. I had the opportunity to get a couple extra for cheap and I never did. I am still kicking my self for that mistake. Just hope they dont over think the new version and screw it up.

^^^

Really?

I'm no WTB hater, but when I tried the weirwolf a few years ago I found that it was one of those tires that will dump you in the dirt with no warning at all.

I did like the Prowler (forget which model) on rear wheel.
The LT version is different than the regular Weirwolf. Big, balloony, rolls fast and grabs onto everything. I picked up a regular weirwolf and don't like it nearly as much.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I picture the same guy that buys Ellsworths, and being the same dude who a.) has one of those wide single skis, b.) hardshell boots and a 300 snowboard c.) Well tell you endlessly about why the mechanics of what he's into are awesome.

No need to be coy, you can just say "alpine slug".

As for p!ss poor designs, I have to include bikes with tiny, undersized pivot bearings...Drives me nuts.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
dissent's 2.3 single ply i have had since the beginning of the last summer are only halfway worn and they've seen tons of pavement. that 50a durometer is really good and best of all, they only cost me 45$ a pair. best hardpack rubber i've ever ridden (haven't tried the minion or hr yet though).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dissent's 2.3 single ply i have had since the beginning of the last summer are only halfway worn and they've seen tons of pavement. that 50a durometer is really good and best of all, they only cost me 45$ a pair. best hardpack rubber i've ever ridden (haven't tried the minion or hr yet though).
these don't seem to be on the wtb website. link anyone?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Say what you will about Cannondale's system integration but it works. Really well. I'm hard on my bikes and my 2005 Prophet still has the original bb, hs, Lefty Max, and front wheel (along with seat post, stem, cranks, and all the pivots). And I'm not one to do much maintenance or cleaning. The only thing I grease is the chain and cables. Also, Cannondale isn't the only one using 1.5" hs and bb30. They just pioneered/developed them.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
What woodsguy said.

I would tend to agree that cannondale's proprietary stuff is BS, BUT, it works great, they are on top of the service, and every cannondale only sort of frame feature (1.5 headtube and BB 30) as woodsguy said, are not standard

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
What woodsguy said.

I would tend to agree that cannondale's proprietary stuff is BS, BUT, it works great, they are on top of the service, and every cannondale only sort of frame feature (1.5 headtube and BB 30) as woodsguy said, are not standard
Cannondales are not 1.5"
They are their own, distinct size.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I know I'm a bit late on this, but why does everyone hate on Kenda tires? I love my small block eights. They are the fastest, lightest tires I've ever run and they grip perfect on almost everything. Plus they're pine scented! They're the only kendas I've ever run though. Maybe I'm missing something..

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I know I'm a bit late on this, but why does everyone hate on Kenda tires? I love my small block eights. They are the fastest, lightest tires I've ever run and they grip perfect on almost everything. Plus they're pine scented! They're the only kendas I've ever run though. Maybe I'm missing something..
They're fine if you only like to go in a straight line on dry hard-pack. Have you ridden OVT or Warrior Creek with them ?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
They're fine if you only like to go in a straight line on dry hard-pack. Have you ridden OVT or Warrior Creek with them ?
Actually they work great for racing dual slalom and 4X which is why I bought them. Dirt jumps too except they're pretty prone to pinch flats, but that's to be expected with tires that light. I still run Minions for DH/FR. I don't do much trail riding anymore though, I haven't had a trail bike built up in a while.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How about using regular ball bearing cart bearings for pivots on the first place..... ACB bearings would work soooo much better. Still cannot belive the mountian bike world has not figured this out
Why does it make a difference? I get that you can preload them as they wear but what other advantage is there?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Actually they work great for racing dual slalom and 4X which is why I bought them. Dirt jumps too except they're pretty prone to pinch flats, but that's to be expected with tires that light. I still run Minions for DH/FR. I don't do much trail riding anymore though, I haven't had a trail bike built up in a while.
I love the small block 8 but...

They will wash and destroy you if there is even a little dust in the corners. I can run 8's front and rear for DJ but when it comes to DS I have to throw a Larsen on up front for extra bite.

PS the 8 is the only Kenda that I will use.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Non-DH casing Nevegals have absolute $hit sidewalls. Way to thin. The DH casing Nevegal's are much better, but the weight penalty isn't necessarily worth it. The old Stick-E Kinetic's were a good front tire, but they stopped making them.

DTC Kenda's suck even worse. Thin sidewalls AND $hitty grip. I have a UST DTC Nevegal on the rear of my Trance right now, and it's coming off as soon as I have time to swing by Milford Bike for a Specy Clutch or Butcher.