Quantcast

Worst place you've ever lived?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So I moved to Colorado Springs, CO about 5 years ago from Portland, OR because of work, and I hate this place. I've lived many places, and liked some better than others, but have never despised a particular place like I do here. The reasons are many, regional politics, schizophrenic weather, terrible drivers, only chain resteraunts, complete lack of culture, etc. The riding is great which is about the only reason I havn't totally lost it. I would move if I could but my industry (aviation) and the housing market, plus a baby would seem to have me pinned down for a while.

Where is the worst place you've ever lived?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I live in Portland, OR, now, but Colorado Springs is the worst place I have ever lived for the same reasons you mentioned. There was a pretty good DJ park with some small "huck" lines in the middle of the suburban sprawl east of downtown that was pretty cool, and I loved the access to the outdoors right from Old Colorado City. The politics and religious overtones on everything were horrendous, though.

Man, in 5 years Portland has only gotten better! Better restaurants, one actual singletrack trail in Forest Park, great riding developing nearby, and the housing market has leveled. Tough break.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
one actual singletrack trail in Forest Park, great riding developing nearby, and the housing market has leveled. Tough break.
Are you talking the illegal one from the zoo down to goose hollow, or an actual trail? I miss my morning zoo runs on the way to the office. One of the only saving graces of working downtown. That and afternoon Timbers/Beavers on Thirsty Thursdays.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Twenty nine Palms Ca. Mostly just cause its desert though. Id like to go back and visit the area again but so glad I dont have to live there any more.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Where I live now, the house not the area.

How about Denver? Does it suck there too or is Colorado Springs an exception?

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Twenty nine Palms Ca. Mostly just cause its desert though. Id like to go back and visit the area again but so glad I dont have to live there any more.
I'll second that, although it was only a few month stay that place is the armpit of the free world. Not to mention the back road from there to Vegas is one of the creepiest stretches of highway I've ever been on, let alone broke down in the middle of the night on.

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
I'll second that, although it was only a few month stay that place is the armpit of the free world. Not to mention the back road from there to Vegas is one of the creepiest stretches of highway I've ever been on, let alone broke down in the middle of the night on.
There I have to disagree. How can you not like Amboy? Population like 50 lol It reminds me of the town from the movie Cars. The cop car is even from the 50s I believe.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Turlock, CA. Spent the first 19 years of my life there and still visit from time to time. I don't consider living there because I didn't have much of a choice. But as soon as I could leave, I did.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Probably a pretty ratty neighborhood in Miami one winter during my transient -ish days. Roach infestation, dirty diapers soaking in the laundromat washers, getting hit on every time I walked my dog...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Man... if the Springs is the worse place you've ever lived then you are SPOILED.

Just imagine having to live in Cozad, NE. :dead:
Man Cozad sucked, only lived there for a summer when I was 19. The only good part was that the girls were easily impressed.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
colorado springs is the worst place you lived.....you have a job and are not homeless...shut the fvck up.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
991 Forrest Street.
In the ghetto of North Memphis. Total **** hole. No heat. No stove. Crackheads smoking crack everywhere. Crazy landlord. Got broken into. Saw lots of drug busts. Lived surrounded by poverty of 3rd world standards. etc...

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Sorority house. Senior year of college. 42 high-maintenance chicks. 24 of us sharing one room for sleeping (picture orphanage with bunk beds).

:banghead:

Edit: 41 high-maintenance chicks, present company is excluded

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've been lucky to have lived in some nice places. In my experience, a lot of it has to do with what you make out of the situation presented to you.

In all the places I've lived, I both love and hate things about it at the same time. It just varies by degrees... pretty much like life.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Eastmain-1 Work Camp in James Bay, QC on and off for a year and a half. It was essentially a prison, but with lots of beer to drink.

With a close second of Bathurst, NB. From September to December of 1999. A pretty depressed little mining town, but there were passably cute girls, but a little too skanky and could neither speak English, nor French.

Both had their benefits though.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Town: Vallejo, CA

Home: Mobile home in Nacogdoches, TX when I was going to school ie could open a cabinet and see sunlight, fire ants constantly getting inside, etc.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Eastmain-1 Work Camp in James Bay, QC on and off for a year and a half. It was essentially a prison, but with lots of beer to drink.

With a close second of Bathurst, NB. From September to December of 1999. A pretty depressed little mining town, but there were passably cute girls, but a little too skanky and could neither speak English, nor French.

Both had their benefits though.
You're gonna hurt Luc's feelings.......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I hated Seattle itself, but once you got an hour out of town it wasn't too bad I guess
really? i live in the heart of capitol hill and would hate to live most of the places an hour out...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I've really only lived in three places: Flagstaff, AZ, Tucson, AZ and Kansas City, MO. Of the three, I'd have to say KC was the worst. Lived in midtown where there still was some unique stuff. Made some great friends and Landahl was a pretty cool place to mtn bike... kept me sane. But once you got out to the 'burbs it was flat and boring as hell. Miles of strip malls, Starbucks and chain restaurants. And effing HATED the winters... just bitter cold and ice/sleet.