Quantcast

Worst Ride Ever- send healing vibes to my friend.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
L1 & L4 compression fractures. No nerve damage, surgical realignment possible, and a full recovery expected. Couple weeks of hospital, a couple months of drugs. It's ****ty, but way better than what could have happend.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but you took some girl who just really rides fireroads on a DH trial?

That was smart.

I hope she is fine though.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Just a little singletrack. Not too bad except the fault line comes through at this one spot and theres a step down. Seen multiple people ride the whole thing on hardtails with sids.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh dude not always a good idea, but hey they got to learn some day.

ohh yeh the best of luck to her man. shes in my prayers dude and hopefully she will be back.:thumb:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sorry to hear about that... gotta be extra careful with green riders.
Best of luck & heal fast!

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
The moral here is the same one I learned when I got my buddy hurt on my trail. Make sure they only do what they feel comfortable with. A buddy who isn't at your level riding with you will feel pressured to try to perform at your level. Try to get them to remain aware of thier own capabilities. And in this case, you may have done this, but when a beginner is about to hit their first tricky line, Always let them scope it out first.

Don't get down on yourself. All the best to her.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
RobsterCrw said:
The moral here is the same one I learned when I got my buddy hurt on my trail. Make sure they only do what they feel comfortable with. A buddy who isn't at your level riding with you will feel pressured to try to perform at your level. Try to get them to remain aware of thier own capabilities. And in this case, you may have done this, but when a beginner is about to hit their first tricky line, Always let them scope it out first.

Don't get down on yourself. All the best to her.

I HATE riding with lesser skilled riders because I feel responsible WHEN they get hurt riding above their heads. I'd rather hurt myself.

I tell them NOT to go fast or do anything because I do it. I also keep reiterating how difficult, dangerous, etc. the course is and that there are easier ways down - or - tell them to walk portions.

The situation here is brutal. Luckily, she regained feeling in her legs, and I hope for a speedy and full recovery.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
chicodude said:
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but you took some girl who just really rides fireroads on a DH trial?

That was smart.

I hope she is fine though.

I have actually seen more people get hurt om Fireroads than DH/singletrack trails......We all get that Its just a fireroad feeling goin aand next thing ya know 40 mph Unexpected ejection......Either place should warrant expierience
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZERS

Last edited:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That totally sucks, best wishes for a speedy recovery for your friend.

I took this girl out for a ride, and there's this pretty mellow little singletrack that I can ride up on my DH bike. Well, I told her she could ride it, so she rolled down it perfect, completely in control and without even skidding. In the run out, she freaks, and instead of slowing down with the 30-40 feet of space for braking, she steers straight across the field and into a boulder at the end of it, going over the bars and head over heels into a ravine. You just never know with beginning riders, I thought it would be obvious to use the brakes to slow down. Luckily, she was fine, but that was the worst feeling ever. Seeing anyone get hurt at something you've encouraged them to do is by far worse than anything else, even getting arrested or getting caught having a huge party with many broken family heirlooms. Good luck dude, at least things will only get better from this point.

p.s. Are (or were) you dating this chick?

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Ouch. The injuries make it seem worse than what it really was. If she would have just scraped herself up you wouldn't feel so bad. Like Weed said, it was her choice and we all do crazy stuff, you can never tell what will happen out on the trail. We may think what we do is easy or safe but there is a large part of the population that isn't interested in physical risk. Mtbikers are a different breed. I prayed for her and it sounds as if her recovery will be complete, that's awesome. Sorry for your plight.