Quantcast

Worst Ride EVER

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Thursday nights is usually ride night with my girlfriends. Last night there were 7 of us and we headed out on the trails. It was warm out and there were thunderclouds off in the distance but we chatted happily as we hammered the singletrack. About 2 miles in we hear a guy on an adjacent trail screaming at us asking if we could call 911 - rider down. Our group split with some staying to make the call and myself and some others sprinted up the trail in full race mode. About a mile up there was a gentleman on the ground not moving and one guy was administering CPR. No pulse, no breathing. We jumped in and started rotating the CPR but still nothing.

I grabbed his pack and retrieved a cellphone but no id. The worst moment came when I was scrolling through his phone to find someone to call. I saw his recent call was to "Sandy" so I passed the phone off and the call was made. Really we just wanted to know who the guy was and if he had any medical conditions (Diabetes, allergy to bees...) Sandy was his wife. UHG. We didn't tell her he was dead, just that he was unconcious and the paramedics were on their way.

Bend PD, Deschutes County Sheriff, Search and Rescue, and Bend Fire all showed up at the scene and after they hooked him up to some stuff and did some attempts, they pronounced him dead.

It was horrible. I've never seen someone it that capacity. His dog was with him and was so sad.

RIP Ray, whoever you were.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That sucks. Had he crashed or did something just catch up to him while riding?
Looked like a heart attack probably. He was riding uphill and looked liked he'd just had a heart attack and fell over. When I arrived his bike was still between his legs and everything.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I came across one of those a few years ago. Rider fell, blunt force trauma to the base of skull. It really f*s with you for a while.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow...RIP Ray. That's a crazy story. I feel really bad for his family. Please keep us updated.

I had a similar thing happen when I was a snowboard instructor a few years back. The guy was only 21 (same age as me at the time) and was riding drunk. It definitely stays with you for awhile.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sounds like you guys reacted well. One of the racers last week crashed really hard and it looked like he'd almost snapped his head off his body. I just sorta winced with an "OOOOooooooooooo" like most of the crowd. My GF (a nurse) was already giving him a neuro-assessment by the time by the time I stopped "ooooooo"ing.

I suck at teh medical emergencies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A good example of what not to do.

Local race last year a kid crashed into a stream. Next rider found him and attempted medical help. The kid said his toes were numb, instead going to get help that was a few hundred yards away the would be doctor duct taped the kids head to a stick. Turns out the kid was fine, he couldn't feel his feet because they were cold.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
A good example of what not to do.

Local race last year a kid crashed into a stream. Next rider found him and attempted medical help. The kid said his toes were numb, instead going to get help that was a few hundred yards away the would be doctor duct taped the kids head to a stick. Turns out the kid was fine, he couldn't feel his feet because they were cold.
Who races with duct tape in their pocket?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
That is the worst thing I've heard in a long, long time. Similar to the owner of Wicked Racing last year at Sea Otter.

Blessings and prayer for his family. God, that's awful. Actually makes me hurt and tear up.

Enjoy your family, enjoy your rides. It doesn't last forever.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Came on a fatal atv accident a few weeks ago and it will definitely rattle you. The guy was alive when the paramedics arrived, but as soon as they pulled his helmet off and flipped him over he died. Hit face first doing about 70 on pavement so I don't think he had much of a chance.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Wow.

Nothing to add that hasn't been, so prayers and hugs.

Actually I did think of something. See if your county offers PTSD counseling; I know ours does for S/R and other personnel.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
^^^^ I'm not an EMT, but if there is a possibility of head/neck injuries should they really be "pulling his helmet off"?
If it impedes airway management, is too difficult to immobilize, etc...then yes.

Ms. Heidi-

It's a shame that you had to come upon that, but it sounds as though everyone did the best they could. The upside(if you can call it that) is that he is suffering less now than he would be had he survived and lived out the rest of his days as a shell of a human being. The odds of someone surviving out of hospital arrest to full neurological recovery are beyond slim.

Good work and my condolences to all involved.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
^^^^ I'm not an EMT, but if there is a possibility of head/neck injuries should they really be "pulling his helmet off"?
Thats why i didn't do it myself in the 15 min or so I was waiting, but I got shoed away from the guy when the pros arrived.

If it had been my rescue, I would have intubated him in position, slapped him on the backboard in his helmet, and let the surgeons deal with it but I wasn't in a position to argue.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Wow.. RIP RAY and best wishes to his family

Sorry you had to go through all that Heidi, thats not so easy to deal with and saddens people terribly.. hang in there

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I echo the RIPs to Ray...

Heidi, I just hope that if something like that ever happens to me on the trail, that someone like yourself happens along. Thank you for doing your best for a stranger...

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Good on you for getting in and helping Heidi. I can think of worse ways to go. too so I hope that is some comfort to his loved ones.