Quantcast

Worst Trails In San Diego

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Which ones? I want to find out for myself this weekend.
Oh, and for those interested, I think my GF will be taking pics at Serpent... she could use some poster boys! :)

"Worst" is so...subjective.

--That fire road climb up Black Mountain to the microwave station really sucks.

--That macadam Pine Valley Road abomination leading up near Penny Pines really sucks.

--That climb up Nate Harrison Grade really sucks.

--Sidehill, in Los Pen, really sucks if you're climbing it.

--"The Way Up" in Mt. Israel definitely sucks, on the way up.

--The Mission Beach Boardwalk sucks if your baby oil dries up.

:evil:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anderson really sucks now. Climbed it this evening. Sucked. Descending was no better. Ugly and dirty from the trail abuse and the fires; it's a really depressing ride if you knew what a great place it once was.

cbcbcbcb

Chimp
Dec 3, 2003
San Diego
EBasil said:
--Sidehill, in Los Pen, really sucks if you're climbing it.
I must object.

Climbing Side Hill is:

Pain.
Chest pounding,
Legs burning,
Loathing the rider ahead.
Pain.
Pity for the rider behind, and triumph.
Pain.
Done already?​

In short, climbing Side Hill rocks.

/cb

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
MikeD said:
Anderson really sucks now. Climbed it this evening. Sucked. Descending was no better. Ugly and dirty from the trail abuse and the fires; it's a really depressing ride if you knew what a great place it once was.
Well for those of us who never rode anderson before the fire it's still fun. Slowly the vegetation is coming back and the ground is firming up or at least the uppermost layer of dust is blowing away. There are a couple of guys cutting new lines around the worst stuff, if you can find those lines they're for the most part more fun and less crappy. The climb sucks though, no bones about it I'd rather stab myself in the knee with a yucca spike than climb up that road. I know a quite legal short cut though, PM me if you want details.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I actually climbed the pavement from the Carl's Jr shopping center to the beginning of Anderson at the tanks...didn't want any conflict with Puetz Valley residents from parking under the bridge. My wording was a little off; I hadn't meant that I'd climbed the trail, just that I hadn't shuttled.

Anyhow, the whole flow of the lower trail is gone now that Bofus has had his fun and the three inches of heavy ash make high speed turning pretty much impossible in a lot of places. What used to be a great, fast singletrack is now an ugly, much-too-wide scar in the earth.

World Cup is coming back together, but it's still not the same.

I really am hoping the area recovers well; it's too bad we can't do any overt trail maintenance on it.

Aquaholic

Chimp
Jan 5, 2004
Noble Canyon
Mike Deeeee:

I have to disagree with ya on ATT. I think that the ride still delivers. No question,though, the vibe is totally different now, post fire. But look at the bright side...despite the BS from Bofus, and the fires, we can still ride this trail. And that's a positive.

Sure, climbing this trail is not what it used to be. The sand washes are now brutal and more prevalent. But, it only makes you a stronger climber.

The descent is sketchy and loose, but I still dig it. Again, if you can ride this trail now, it hones your skills, and can only make you a stronger rider. You have to concentrate more and really keep on top of any potential mechanicals issues. This includes bike setup, and tires, etc. If you ride that descent at speed without trusting your equipment or beyond your skills, your going to pay the price.

I had one of my best ATT rides last week. Up and down. Sometimes, that trail bitch slaps me. That ride, I walked away with bugs in my teeth. One thing I really like about ATT is being up top and looking down at the El Capitan Resevoir. I really feel that for a local ride, I'm up in the mountains. I don't hear cars, freeways, and the other misc. evils of the city.

As far as Bofus goes, He's been relatively quiet. Ever since he put up the "Great Wall of Bofus", he's snookered himself in keeping his "toys" off of the trail.

The ride still delivers!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sheesh, optimists...

To some of us, the trail is 3/4 burned down....to others, it's 1/4 recovered.
"Always look on the bright side of life...[whistle, whistle, whistle, whistle whistle]"

-MD

PS Ash isn't sand. Sand and dust I can deal with. Ash pisses me off.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Orven said:
Round up all your secular and religous friends and pray for gobs and gobs of rain!!! Lots!!!
Or, maybe we should just have a keg party out there. We can 'organically recycle' the beer into trail-saving water...although that might make me feel even worse when I do inevitably crash.

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
Anderson is waaaaaaaaaaay different but still fun.

The bottom doesn't flow in the singletrack way it used to, but at poser-racer-boy speed on the M1 it's still rad picking lines over all the rocks and garbage, almost like racing on my moto.