Quantcast

evilamish

Chimp
Nov 9, 2009
New Mexico
I just want to know what you think is worst trend for biking is. I would like to know why you think is bad or stupid.

I would like to start things off with Clipless pedals

1. It has a misleading name

2. Why would anyone like to be attached to a bike when its flying towards a tree or falling down a mountain

Now your turn

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I just want to know what you think is worst trend for biking is. I would like to know why you think is bad or stupid.

I would like to start things off with Clipless pedals

1. It has a misleading name

2. Why would anyone like to be attached to a bike when its flying towards a tree or falling down a mountain

Now your turn
Do yourself a favor and google the history of clipless pedals and why they are called that instead of just being ignorant of it.

But why are they called "clipless" when they are actually "clips"? Good question. These days you'll hear them being called clipless pedals and clipped pedals just to confuse you even more. Originally they were called clipless to explain how they were different from the old fashioned "toe-clips" we described above. Hence "clipless" meant "not-toe-clips" but something new and different. The name has stayed with us and only recently are people calling them "clip pedals" now that toe clips aren't seen as much.
Also, how about trying clipless before ****ting on them. I ride clipless on all of my bikes and won't go back to flats.

*Attitude used mainly because of Eaterofdog's post.*

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
1) Clipless pedals don't have toe clips and straps, hence the name.

2) Clipless pedals (usually) release upon impact, and no one is making you give up flat pedals.

:stosh:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Candy pedals. Riding pedals that only last a year and wreck your shoes is just stupid. I have a pair of Shimano 747 pedals from '98 that are still going strong. That's a true testament to their durability and design (not to mention they haven't wrecked any shoes).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
geared bikes
bikes with freehubs
bikes with chains

I prefer the simplicity of the penny farthing, you feel more connected with a direct drive system.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sigh. This might have been good if the OP didn't give such an out-of-touch example.

Personally I am tired of the constant marketing-driven effort to re-categorize every micro-niche of riding. Aside from branding, what the hell is the difference between "All Mountain", "Over Mountain", and "Mountain biking"?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Aside from branding, what the hell is the difference between "All Mountain", "Over Mountain", and "Mountain biking"?
All Mountain = the whole of the mountain
Over Mountain = From one side to the other via the top
Mountain biking = riding a bike on a mountain in no particular direction or orientation to said mountain.

:rolleyes:

I miss down tube mounted shifters.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
loving without question anything that DW/Turner/Evil/Intense/any other company makes...it's OK if that isn't so great anymore....