Quantcast

Worth it to move to seattleish?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm thinking about relocating...right now I'm in syracuse, ny and the riding around here kind of blows. We have a few good trails, and plattekill is 3 hours away...but it's 3 hours away.

One of the places I'm considering is seattle. I guess whistlar isn't too far away, same with the NS and etc. While I'd love to have this stuff in my back yard, 2-3 hours for incredible riding isn't too bad, better than 3 days of driving, or so.

Anyways, is it worth it? I don't know too much about the area, but I'm 22 with a BS in bio. I don't have any ties, so I can go anywhere, pretty much.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Bellingham. It's about 1-1.5 hours north (depending on traffic) and right in between Seattle and Vancouver. There is a great biking community there too, and trails are generally a lot closer, and there are a lot of other outdoors things to do too. It's a beautiful college (WWU) city, but about as expensive as Seattle. I've lived in both, and I love them just the same, but miss the super easy access to outdoors in B'ham. It's worth a look, and I'm sure there are bio jobs in the area too.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
more jobs in the seattle area but only a bit further to the ns and whistler

come out here while you are unattached, you can always move back to da east if you want or don't like it here jersey joe(joecool on hcor) moved out here for a while. jobs are toough here in b'ham.

LMO

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
Redmond, WA
joelsman said:
more jobs in the seattle area but only a bit further to the ns and whistler

come out here while you are unattached, you can always move back to da east if you want or don't like it here jersey joe(joecool on hcor) moved out here for a while. jobs are toough here in b'ham.

Come on out! job market is getting much better around here. Bellinham is an awesome town, close to Mt. Baker for snow, Whistler for snow and biking, the NS, and Galbraith mountian right in your back yard has amazing riding. Jobs are scarce in BHAM. I moved here [Seattle area] from AZ and love it. Good luck on your decision.

LMO

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the pac nw is much cooler than upstate ny :D

-t, former nyc resident of 9 [young] years, cooperstown for 1 yr, boston for 4 yrs

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I moved here from Massachusetts by way of South Florida 13 years ago, at exactly your age: never once have thought about going back. Mountains, water, hiking, biking, big town, small town, this place has it all. I work in legal, so I don't from the bio job market, but the amenities are great.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
I grew up here in Seattle, moved to Rochester NY for a year, and had fun, but when I came back I really appreciated everything Seattle has going for it. Big city, cool people, big mountains, water, and mild weather.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Seattle has its problems, but the area is a great place to live. You should do it while you can. Who cares if its expensive, with bad traffic, and no legal FR?... Everythign else makes up for it...Pluse we can ride all season here.... without studs and chains..... :)

Have you looked into the job market for your field?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Seattle's a pretty cool town. I'm originally from Hawai'i, moved to Seattle in the late 80's then to NYC for a few years. I moved back to Seattle in 97 and am loving it. If you're into outdoor activities, there's lots to do. The rain bothers some people - it doesn't bother me. I have a few friends that are in bio and they seem to be doing fine...come to think of it - none of them are from Seattle.