Quantcast

Worthwhile purchase? asx vs my bighit

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am looking to purchase a frame to build up for next summer. My bighit (old 2002 comp) has been treating me well but I feel the need for something new.

Which brings me to an asx. I have a line on a good price for it, I would have all the parts for it. But I wonder if good from 6'4inches to 7 inches would be signifigant. Biggest differences on paper are the extra travel, better shock and potentially more active suspension (I don't know for sure, but my bighit doesn't feel like it does much in the rough stuff)

So is it a worthwhile upgrade or should I suck it up and get something longer travel. I also have a line on a full 2006 atomik which is an option as it is more travel.

As for how I use the bike, some dh, some trails/freeriding. I tend to like to keep my bikes pretty versatile as the terrain around here warrants a lot of different riding styles.

Thoughts? Thanks

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
haha now this is quite funny, i have owned all three of these bikes...

pleaseeeeeee stay away from an asx...I bought a 05 one and turned it over for sale after riding it once in the woods behind my house for 30 minutes. the suspension really felt terrible as if it had 4 inches of travel almost...honestly i completely hated the bike...

And guess what i left it for...a big hit. The big hit even though it is a cheaper bike felt so much better in my opinion. Theres other options obviously for upgrading...I raced dh on my big hit all season and it fit me well...i am moving up to jrx so I wanted a faster bike which made me sell the big hit...

I would say go for the norco, I had a norco before I had my big hit and the asx and it was far better than the two in my opinion. Lighter stronger, faster, longer travel.....and just all around a better bike. It was the best bike I have ridden until I recently bought my full on dh bike a orange 223. Haha i guess you could call me a bike whore...

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
gangstamaxx, you must have had that ASX set up all wrong, mine is brilliant. No offence intended, however I suggest you learn how to set up a shock. Selling a bike after 30 mins on it, you cant have even tried to set it up right... :rolleyes:

I would never trade my ASX for a bighit, or indeed for a norco or an orange (used to own an orange). As far as the original question goes, I have mine set up with 06 66SL's up front, and use it for everything from normal trail riding to FR/DH. For example, today I took it for some runs down my local trail, a fast flowy job, and also played around on a 25x8ft stepdown. It really is very versatile. The suspension feels nicer than any other single pivot bike that I have ridden, nice progressive feel the gives full travel without any harsh bottom outs. In comparison it will ride a lot lighter than a bighit, the suspension will feel different as it is a linked single pivot system rather than a 4 bar setup.

I have had it for 2 years now, it is built to a very high standard and I still havent replaced the frame bearings, although I am planning on doing that as soon as winter is over before my 2 month stint in whistler. Take a look at the NSMB review on the ASX, they loved it. Any specific questions, just ask.

I live outside of Boulder Co, about 20mi from the Yeti Factory. I bought an ASX in 2004, in the season that I rode that bike I went through 2 of them because of the same problem, cracked frame (watch the headtube and BB areas). lucky for me I live close. But I guess if your just going to be doing light freeride/trails it would be OK. But its definatly not a wonderful full on DH/hucking bike, built to weak imo.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
I rode a single pivot for three years. No more.
After this much time in the saddle you notice all of the shortcomings.
Huge brake jack and the need for a platform shock.

4-bar or vpp.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
All I can say is that the Bighit is an awesome bike for the price. I would reccomend upgrading your Bighit or getting one of the new ones (they come with a 26" wheel and redesigned frame). I rode one for a year and a half and it never let me down.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Turd Ferguson said:
I rode a single pivot for three years. No more.
After this much time in the saddle you notice all of the shortcomings.
Huge brake jack and the need for a platform shock.

4-bar or vpp.

4bar, vpp, or single pivot with floater and Avy.

Dont they make a long travel kit for the 2002 BiG Hit?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Its almost impossible to find. There is one betd and avy make that also make the rear wheel 26". In total I would have to buy the shock and the rear end which would cost close to 1000cdn. That is always an option.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Don't buy an AS-X, it's one of the worst bikes I've ever ridden. I own one, it's set up right, and both the suspension and geometry suck. This is in comparison to a 2003 Big Hit with a Shiver, an Intense M1, a Santa Cruz Heckler and V10, A Specialized SX and Demo8, and countless more. I normally ride a Demo8 with a Fox 40, but things have been broken lately, so the AS-X gets too much attention. Don't buy one. Big Hits are great.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Roasted said:
Its almost impossible to find. There is one betd and avy make that also make the rear wheel 26". In total I would have to buy the shock and the rear end which would cost close to 1000cdn. That is always an option.

All you need is the link and a 8.75x2.75 shock. I just bought a used Avy for $260 and I have see the links for $200. I bet you could set up your Big Hit for less than $500.

Before you give up, give Risse a call. They know a lot about the Big Hits and Enduros. They may have a link and a shock. Its worth the call.

or
buy this and find a used Romic, Fox RC, etc.
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/bighitlink.html

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Kanter said:
All you need is the link and a 8.75x2.75 shock. I just bought a used Avy for $260 and I have see the links for $200. I bet you could set up your Big Hit for less than $500.

Before you give up, give Risse a call. They know a lot about the Big Hits and Enduros. They may have a link and a shock. Its worth the call.

or
buy this and find a used Romic, Fox RC, etc.
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/bighitlink.html

I think he wants a 26" rear wheel, I am pretty sure a link would not just solve the problem and that he would need longer chainstays...I heard that when you purchase the longer chainstays to use a 26 inch rear wheel it really messes the geometry up (hence why specialized ran a 24)

Personally I dont think the upgrade would be worht it in any sense. I would buy either one of the 2006 big hits that are designed to run a 26" or a norco atomik.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
gangstamaxx said:
I think he wants a 26" rear wheel, I am pretty sure a link would not just solve the problem and that he would need longer chainstays...I heard that when you purchase the longer chainstays to use a 26 inch rear wheel it really messes the geometry up (hence why specialized ran a 24)

Personally I dont think the upgrade would be worht it in any sense. I would buy either one of the 2006 big hits that are designed to run a 26" or a norco atomik.

No where did he say he didn't like the 24" rear wheel. He said he wanted more travel. A rear 24" in Whistler and the North Shore is awesome. I think the 01-05 Big Hits are awesome. I think a link and a shock would be a lot cheaper. If you have the money buy a 06 Big Hit frame. If you dont have the money look for a link and shock.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
24" rear doesn't bug me beyond my own skill level with it. Any disfunction I have is my own and not the bikes :)

I will keep an eye on ebay for the upgrade kit, or I will talk to my buddy about getting a new bighit. I do like the bike, I just find the travel (maybe jsut the shock) sucks and is pretty innactive.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I know what you're talking about, and I think it's just the shock. I had an '03 Bighit Comp with a Vanilla R on the back and it felt very dead. I got rid of mine because of that problem. With a PUSHed shock or a more modern shock I think it would be more lively. A travel upgrade kit would be cool but expensive.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i think thier is a guy on RM selling a bighit with the upgrade rear shock for 8" try to find who and ask if he will sell you the Link.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Bicyclist said:
I know what you're talking about, and I think it's just the shock. I had an '03 Bighit Comp with a Vanilla R on the back and it felt very dead. I got rid of mine because of that problem. With a PUSHed shock or a more modern shock I think it would be more lively. A travel upgrade kit would be cool but expensive.
The other option is a newer shock with the betd upgrade kit. Gives me the travel I want and a 26" rear wheel. Total cost was around 750cdn I think.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
*SPAM*
I have an 03' BigHit Expert. Really good condition. Scratched, but all cosmetic. 8" Fox RC that has been PUSHed. Shock tuned for rider around 190 with all armor on.
Will sell cheap, like $375.
*End SPAM*

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
OK, so I spent three hours today riding a 2002 BigHit (6 something inch travel maximum) with a Foes F1 Wet One fork. I also own an AS-X, which has a Fox 40. Trail conditions weren't that good for testing bikes, they were actually perfect, which means that any bike would ride well. All the trails were super tacky with a ton of sand over all the rocks. Overall, I did notice that the Big Hit is MORE STABLE, corners WAY BETTER, and pedaled with less feedback than my AS-X. The trail is still pretty rocky, but the bike had a 2.5 Intense front tire and a Tioga DH rear tire of similar width, and it had no problems. PUSH your shock or just get it rebuilt, but that frame is rad. It might be better to just spend that money on a 40 or some other high quality 7" travel fork. Pimp your ride rather than buy some weak new frame just because it's new. Remember, quality of travel is waaay more important than quantity!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
You can put an 8"i2i shock on your bighit like a romic or dhx and get close to 7" of travel. Do not get the betd setup I have heard numerous times that it ruins the bike and is a waste of $. Another trick is to find the rear seat stays and chain stays off of the 2000 specialized dh, since you have an 02 you can do it and just grind off the little thing for the fr. der. It will not work if you have the bh with the ARC rear chainstays and the iscg mounts. Or keep looking for the 8" upgrade. The bh is a great bike if the 24" rear does not bother you. I have an 03 bh comp and the 8" upgrade it is really nice but I bought a demo9 in late 04 and the bh frame is just sitting. As of now i will not sell the 8" link seperate.