Quantcast

Would any of y'all hitchhike....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
From the Gooseberry Mesa trailhead to SLC-Jackson Hole, with a bag of bike gear, and a Titus?
Kooky, stupid, or adventurous?

( I am thinking of doing this this coming Sunday PM...)

J

JRB

kidwoo said:
Please list the parts spec of the titus, total value of bag contents and how big you are (in a physically tough guy kind of way) and maybe we can work something out. Also....do you carry firearms?
Find out if he has the dog too. The dog looks like he could be mean.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i was told one of the TX4000 riders hitchhiked from Seattle to Portland; bag of bike stuff and a Trek 1500.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'd try it. Leave some info in the headtube/seat tube of your bike on a lanimated (how do you spell that??? All I can think of is the Spanish word, plastificado) 3x5 card so if yo sh1t gets jacked you might one day find it.

Don't just stand on the side of the road, maybe go in a bar or restaurant or something and try to solicit a ride by first approaching people and explaining stuff. Plus, that way you can find the rich people so you can hostage them off later when you reach your secret hide away.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are a ton of people who wait at the bottom of Timberline Road for someone to give them a ride to the top.

I have never hitched anywhere, but I did get a ride from some cops in Guam when they found me stumbling home from the bar. They drove me right to the ship too, they were very nice.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'd try it. Why not? I've hitched dozens of times when whitewater boating and while hiking the Appalachian trail. Hell, I even hitchhiked in Spain and I don't even speak Spanish.

Just be prepared to wait awhile.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
jdschall said:
I'd try it. Why not? I've hitched dozens of times when whitewater boating and while hiking the Appalachian trail. Hell, I even hitchhiked in Spain and I don't even speak Spanish.

Just be prepared to wait awhile.
I know, I have hitchiked all across the US and Europe as a young un'...but not with a bling bike and a cargo bag! I really would only accept a ride from other bikers...if a side trip to Moab and fruita presents itself, well.....

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I wouldn't hitchhike with a bike. Cuts down on the number of people who can pick you up. I've hitchiked plenty, never in the US though. Not sure how many people in California would pick up a hitch hiker.

Probably different out there. It'll still be tough with a bike and large bag.

The Ito

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
ito said:
I wouldn't hitchhike with a bike. Cuts down on the number of people who can pick you up. I've hitchiked plenty, never in the US though. Not sure how many people in California would pick up a hitch hiker.

Probably different out there. It'll still be tough with a bike and large bag.

The Ito
No choice, really...I have a one way ride to Gooseberry, Vegas, or I guess Newbury Park, Ca with team Giant, and I'm too cheap to fly back. I figure getting from the Goose to SLC would be cake, and then the shuttle home to JH is only $28. I can't ditch the bike in the Giant trailer, it's a Titus, that simply wouldn't fly!!

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
rideit said:
No choice, really...I have a one way ride to Gooseberry, Vegas, or I guess Newbury Park, Ca with team Giant, and I'm too cheap to fly back. I figure getting from the Goose to SLC would be cake, and then the shuttle home to JH is only $28. I can't ditch the bike in the Giant trailer, it's a Titus, that simply wouldn't fly!!
Oh, I see. sell your store and jump the Giant Ship. Beg and plead for a ride from Frank... Then risk your life by hitchhiking with some bike bling.

Just come all the way to NP then rent a beater to drive back home...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I'm gonna be loading the Giant ship, Bitch!!
I may just c'mon out to NP...can i borrow your car?
(Seriously, could you ride mid week if i am out, Monday PM, tuesday? I *promise* to not ride the Titus...:) )

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I wouldn't do it...because I'm a chick.

I have gotten rides on base from other women... I feel a bit safer when I'm riding in a mini van with a soccer mom (I could take her).

:)

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
rideit said:
I'm gonna be loading the Giant ship, Bitch!!
I may just c'mon out to NP...can i borrow your car?
(Seriously, could you ride mid week if i am out, Monday PM, tuesday? I *promise* to not ride the Titus...:) )
I could probably make it happen...

You can borrow my car- I just need a brief case with about 20k in it:)

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I once hitched from Atlantic City New Jersey, down to Little Rock Arkansas. It took me 3 and a half days. I did it for the adventure as I had just sold my POS car and had $800 cash with me, this was back in 1984 so things might be different now, but it was mostly cool. Most people who picked me up where partying of some sort, lotsa free beer! one dude wanted to save my soul, one Truck driver wanted to give me a massage (He Kindly let me out quickly when I declined his advances...shew). In Virginia I had gotten off the main roads during the night and was actually heading more south than I needed and this guy in a rx7 had picked me up at 6am. he offered to go out of his way by about 20 miles to get me back to the interstate.
I thanked him as he dropped my off and he sped away, about 10 minutes later the same dude comes up and stops and goes man I am glad your still here! and he hands me a grocery bag, says have a good trip and speeds off again. I look inside the bag there is a bottle of water some Lil Debbie's a sandwich and a $20 Bill! wow I was amazed. I felt guilty since I really didn't need financial assistance, but since I had been on the road for 36 hours and wasn't talking about me $800 in my back pack I must've looked needy. That morning changed my life, I do believe there is always good out there, and I try to return the strangers favor whenever I can, like that movie "Pay it Forward".

Another unique part of my adventure happened in Tennessee when a P/U with 3 people riding in the bed stopped to pick me up, All three of the dudes in the back where obviously on the road also. The driver asked where I was going I said Little Rock, and he said they were going to Miss. So I figured I had caught a decent ride. after about ten miles the passenger in the cab, leaned through the sliding glass and asked if I was in a hurry to get to Little Rock? and I said no (primarily I was on an Adventure and had no timetable) The guy then said they worked for a carnival and needed some workers, did I want a Job? when I replied "No" the driver immediatly pulled the P/U over and told me to get out! and they left me on I-40 on the side of the road somewhere East of Nashville...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i m into thumbing rides... hitched all over the world... but i wouldn t do it in the US... especially with a nice bike...

if i did, and who knows... stranger sh1t has happened... i d have some glock backup on me...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I commute along a route students favor for hitching out to the coast - in the summer I probably give out ne 50 mile ride a week - if I were driving my truck I wouldn't think twice about a bike or dog but in my commuter box - no way. I only have room for a hitch-hiker skateboard and backpack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Serial Midget said:
I commute along a route students favor for hitching out to the coast - in the summer I probably give out a 50 ride a week - if I were driving my truck I wouldn't think twice about a bike or dog but in my commuter box - no way. I only have room for a hitch-hiker skateboard and backpack.
I wonder how many dismembered skater boys there are in Lisa's shed?

Had a buddy who hitched from colorado to Alaska, took him just over a week, then he fished all summer. Hitchiked from Alaska to Baja Mexica, again only took a little over a week, then from baja back to colorado, colorado to Florida, Florida to colorado and then colorado to california where he had to get on a plane to hawaii cause there are no rodes going there.
This just goes to show it is possible. And ussually trips like that are where the best stories come from,
goosbery to jackson really isn't that far compared to some of his trips.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Mike Buell said:
And ussually trips like that are where the best stories come from,
sure.. unless you get killed :) but thats the risk you need to take... travelling in any form is dangerous, but by christ... it s the only way to go...
i d hitch in the states, but only alone...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
MisterClean said:
Hitching a ride is a dangerous prospect with monsters like this as a possible ride. I'd rather ride Greyhound.
I think you missed a critical point: I would only have been looking for rides from Mt. Bikers in the trailhead parking lot. Critical difference. Point is moot, though, looks like snow/rain for Gooseberry this weekend. I'm driving down in a few weeks anyway....