Quantcast

Would I be stupid to pass up this deal? (Mongoose BDS @jenson)

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI308B04-Mongoose+Black+Diamond+Single+Bicycle+06.aspx

$900 seems like a steal even if it is an older model.

Right now I have a Giant Reign I've outfitted with a marz. All mountain 1 (160mm) and Vanilla R rear shock. The bike descends, jumps, and drops well, but it doesn't inspire any confidence in the rough stuff, and I can't quite make it hit a berm right, which I think is do to the fork being to soft. I'm mainly just a trail rider since there are only 2 places within 5 hours of me that a downhill bike will useful (windrock and snowshoe).

I'm only about 130 pounds with gear on so I don't need an ultra beefy frame and 8 inches of travel, I just need something that is more stable when the trail gets sketchy, and in the process of making my reign DH'able I've managed to make it weigh 36lbs so with a DH specific bike I could put my lighter weigh component back on my reign to make it more trail friendly.

My biggest concern is the steep head angle and what looks like a high bottom bracket, which is what I believe is the biggest cause of my reign not handling right. I'd probably put a Boxxer on the front eventually so that would slacken it out a bit but raise the BB even more. Also the fact the BB looks like it would move some with the rear linkage worries me since another problem I've had is not being able to keep my feet on the pedals. I've read many reviews and only one mentioned that a front-back motion was noticeable. There also appears to some woes about the linkage hardware which can be easily fixed with some stronger bolts.

TL;DR: What's your opinion on a Mongoose Black Diamond single.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
It's probably not a terrible bike for a beginner but I think you'd be better off saving up a few extra hundred dollars and looking in the classifieds here. If you really want to ride rough stuff and have a DH bike, you should probably keep looking. Only if money is the main factor would I consider that bike.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
It's probably not a terrible bike for a beginner but I think you'd be better off saving up a few extra hundred dollars and looking in the classifieds here. If you really want to ride rough stuff and have a DH bike, you should probably keep looking. Only if money is the main factor would I consider that bike.
It's not that I couldn't afford spending a little more, it's whether or not I could justify it with the limited amount of DH I have access to. I do keep an eye on the classifieds but more often than not it's not in my size or out of my price range. I wouldn't mind spending a little more though considering I would eventually put a boxxer or some other dual crown fork on the 'goose anyway.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I think you answered your own question. :thumb:
The thing is it's easier to let go of the money in steps as opposed to spending $1300 all at once.

I found what seems to be a decent deal on a 2009 Kona Stab and an yeti as-x, but I'm afraid it's more bike than I need and it won't pedal as well people claim the mongoose does.

I'd rather ride your Reign. The fork on that Mongoose is a POS.
Yeah I realize the fork would ****e. I'd probably put my AM1 or steal my brother's Z1 until I could find a good deal.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'd be that pedal efficiency between the mongoose, kona and yeti will be roughly the same. None of them are made for the up, that's for sure.

If you really want to pedal up, I'd look for something like an older VP Free. I had one of those for awhile and pedaled it all over the place.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
The thing is it's easier to let go of the money in steps as opposed to spending $1300 all at once.

I found what seems to be a decent deal on a 2009 Kona Stab and an yeti as-x, but I'm afraid it's more bike than I need and it won't pedal as well people claim the mongoose does.

Yeah I realize the fork would ****e. I'd probably put my AM1 or steal my brother's Z1 until I could find a good deal.
That yeti is a sick deal. I can testify from 4 years riding one as my only bike that you will be able to both trailride and DH it.

Just make sure to use the 6" travel setting and to drop the 40 to 6". Otherwise it will ride like a turd. Seriously a solid do-all bike.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Keep the reign and just upgrade the suspension to something that works. The van r is just **** and the all mountain is decent at best. Quality upgrades will make your reign an amazing bike that can climb decent and rip trails.

If it was my bike Id do a lyric or 36 up front with a good shock... dhx 5 vivid ect. And go from there.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
That yeti is a sick deal. I can testify from 4 years riding one as my only bike that you will be able to both trailride and DH it.

Just make sure to use the 6" travel setting and to drop the 40 to 6". Otherwise it will ride like a turd. Seriously a solid do-all bike.
That sounds like a bike that would replace my reign. With the yeti at 6" I would have less travel than on my reign so I'm not sure how much of a step-up that would be. I realize there's more to a bike than travel but I was already bottoming on several sections at windrock...

Keep the reign and just upgrade the suspension to something that works. The van r is just **** and the all mountain is decent at best. Quality upgrades will make your reign an amazing bike that can climb decent and rip trails.

If it was my bike Id do a lyric or 36 up front with a good shock... dhx 5 vivid ect. And go from there.
Unfortunately my reign is the year with the "gory hole" so I'm stuck with either my van r or my float r. I have a 400lb spring coming so I'll definitely have to see how it rides with that before making a decision. If I don't get a new bike I will be replacing the AM1, but I need something with travel adjust.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Unfortunately my reign is the year with the "gory hole" so I'm stuck with either my van r or my float r. I have a 400lb spring coming so I'll definitely have to see how it rides with that before making a decision. If I don't get a new bike I will be replacing the AM1, but I need something with travel adjust.
With that said, what about sending your shock to Push or CR1? A custom tuned shock can do wonders for a bike.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Cant you just flip the shock over or something...? I havent studied the reigns too much. I highly doubt you couldnt get another shock in there.
Pretty sure there's no way any shock with a piggy-back hort of one with a remote reservoir will fit. The piggy-back won't fit inside the hole and with the piggyback up top it would hit the frame under compression. There are other air shocks that fit but I don't think anything will be enough of an upgrade to be worth it.

With that said, what about sending your shock to Push or CR1? A custom tuned shock can do wonders for a bike.
I've thought about it, but I've yet to get/find any feedback as to how well they are able to improve the van-r.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've thought about it, but I've yet to get/find any feedback as to how well they are able to improve the van-r.
I haven't felt your specific shock and bike setup, but I can speak in generalities.
The majority of bikes I've seen have been improvements, some of them vast improvements.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
My brother has a black diamond single (same year), and i can tell you that those brakes and fork that come stock on it are terrible. and the BB is a little high, but its not to bad. It is a tall bike once you put a dual crown on it though. I would keep your reign X, i wouldn't consider the 'goose a step back. BTW where are ya that you're 5 hrs. from snowshoe? If you're in OH or PA, i can show ya new places to ride.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
My brother has a black diamond single (same year), and i can tell you that those brakes and fork that come stock on it are terrible. and the BB is a little high, but its not to bad. It is a tall bike once you put a dual crown on it though. I would keep your reign X, i wouldn't consider the 'goose a step back. BTW where are ya that you're 5 hrs. from snowshoe? If you're in OH or PA, i can show ya new places to ride.
I have better brakes layingaround I can put on it and I'd eventually get a fork and probably lower it some depending on how difficult it is. I do plan on keeping my reign (not the X btw) and putting my lighter wheels/tires back on it, and maybe a smaller/lighter fork.

I live in eastern KY, I don't quite remember how far snowshoe is from me.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
I have better brakes layingaround I can put on it and I'd eventually get a fork and probably lower it some depending on how difficult it is. I do plan on keeping my reign (not the X btw) and putting my lighter wheels/tires back on it, and maybe a smaller/lighter fork.

I live in eastern KY, I don't quite remember how far snowshoe is from me.
My bad misread and thought you said it was an X. I mean if you plan on upgrading the stuff, its not a bad frame, and its a good price, but if you have the reign I think you should look for more of a full on DH bike that is designed around a dual crown and is a little lower and slacker.