Quantcast

Would these shifters do?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by legalize, Jul 27, 2012.

1. legalize

legalize Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I bought some brake levers looking to replace my current ones, but after taking a look the shifter is integrated with the current levers...
    Looking for a "cheap" replacement for the shifter as I don't want to dump too much money into this Hardrock and came across these and these .

I mean they're really cheap though, would they do me OK or should I just invest a little more into something more decent?

Here are the specs on the bike, in case you want to suggest compatability :)

Thanks in advance

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Quo Fan

Quo Fan don't make me kick your ass

Rep/Likes:
    38 / 36
    Unfortunately, if you want to get better shifters, you will need to get even more parts, like a new chain and rear cassette because you would have to upgrade to 8 speed. An 8 speed chain is narrower than a 7 speed chain, but you can use the same derialers.

You cannot use 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed cassette.

But in answer to your question, yes, those will do.

3. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Necro thread. But an 8sp and 7sp chain are one and the same. When we went to 8sp, they simply added a cog on the cassette and made the freehub body longer. We all had to buy new hubs.
    So yes, you can use an 8sp shifter with a 7sp cassette. The last click just won't do anything.