Quantcast

would this work instead of a compressor for notubes?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I used to do that all the time with my old boss. He had a couple trailers with tires that would go flat all the time, so we'd use the old flame trick.

I've never seen it done with a tire that big, though - that's awesome!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Does the tire melt to the rim at all?
no, the heat has apparently no effect, its just the rapidly expanding gases from the fuel combustion that seat the tire to the rim in a very cool way.

im thinking it would rule to do that on bikes too, but im not sure if it will work. guess ill have to try myself. hope the latex dont go boom.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Yeah, I envision some kid from SoCal blowing his face off while flaming his tires, then some advocacy group banning tubeless tires since the consumer risk is too great, and there's too much risk of lighting Santa Barbara on fire.:bonk:

I think I'll try that when I get home.:busted:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The tire is seated but is it inflated to the correct psi? Getting a stans to seat is not the problem its inflating.
Um... Huh?

Seating the bead is just about the only problem when installing Stan's. Once you get that seal between the bead and the rim strip, you could inflate it with the crappiest hand pump around.

Anyway, I.. uh.. wouldn't try this whole thing with bike tires. It's a little dangerous, first of all. It can also result in the tire blowing clean off the rim if you get too much of whatever flammable fluid you're using under the tire and it creates a seal - which is a lot more likely to happen with a rubber Stan's strip than it is on a metal tire rim.

Just consider the volume of air you're moving on that big car tire to seat it. Then consider the volume of air you're moving in a bike tire - much greater pressure.

That said, if someone wants to give it a try, please make a video and post it up :p - if you're going to carry a can of something volatile and flammable, though, you may as well just carry a couple CO2 cartridges.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Anyway, I.. uh.. wouldn't try this whole thing with bike tires. It's a little dangerous, first of all. It can also result in the tire blowing clean off the rim if you get too much of whatever flammable fluid you're using under the tire and it creates a seal - which is a lot more likely to happen with a rubber Stan's strip than it is on a metal tire rim.

Just consider the volume of air you're moving on that big car tire to seat it. Then consider the volume of air you're moving in a bike tire - much greater pressure.

That said, if someone wants to give it a try, please make a video and post it up :p - if you're going to carry a can of something volatile and flammable, though, you may as well just carry a couple CO2 cartridges.
BV, of course it's dangerous. Why else would you want to do that to a tube? Where's your mountain biking spirit?

Sep 10, 2001
One of my co-workers was just telling me about how he has done it with a tractor tire....

With a bike, I can see somebody trying to use about a half gallon of unleaded.. End result would be a funny video for the rest of us...

Brian

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
no, the heat has apparently no effect, its just the rapidly expanding gases from the fuel combustion that seat the tire to the rim in a very cool way.

im thinking it would rule to do that on bikes too, but im not sure if it will work. guess ill have to try myself. hope the latex dont go boom.

I'm not sure what is in the Stan's stuff but normal latex is thinned with water or ammonia, it shouldn't be flammable. Heat can cure rubber though, raw rubber for compression molding has to be stored in a freezer because it will vulcanize at room temperature, the molds are heated to accelerate the curing process. The heat generated in this case should be so brief that it wouldn't cause the latex to cure completely, but it might make a light film on the surface of the puddle of sealant.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i think ill give it a shot, but i dont have a clue as to what sort of fluid to use.

a few cc's of unleaded?

i wasnt thinking of this as a way to replace an eventual co2 cartridge or hand pump, but sometimes you have a hard time with a ghetto tubeless setup and you just need to go to the gas station, thats what i want to avoid, hopefully, nobody will get hurt.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd use something like butane lighter fluid, something like hair spray may even work. I don't think that unleaded would flash like that unless it were vaporized, getting unleaded to vaporize without flashing is tough.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
God I wish I could see this vid at work.

Somebody give me a synopsis........it sounds divine.

I'm getting combustible fluid or gas, but how do you spark it with a tire on a rim?
theyre using some sort of aerosol or squirt bottle of lighter gas

spray it onto the rim and in under an opening in the rim/tire combo.
then they get the can of lighter fluid about 3ft away from the tire, and use it as a flamethrower.

it goes boom and instantly mounts and seats.

all this in a glacier setting.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
wd-40 or similar would work

you may want to try this on a junk tire and rim if possible, to bad I just threw away a somewhat bent 823! woulda been perfect.

and psi is easy to adjust AFTER the bead is seated.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Um... Huh?

Seating the bead is just about the only problem when installing Stan's. Once you get that seal between the bead and the rim strip, you could inflate it with the crappiest hand pump around.

I do not agree seating is one thing another is to seal the small holes and gaps on a non disc rim with the stans setup. With the stans it can take some time with full inflation/high psi before it stops loosing air pressure. At least it has for me.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
use starter fluid, it has the best results

and on a truck tire (big tires remember, mine were 42") it only took one second of spraying in the tire

it is a very very small amount

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
it will deffinatly work. its an old trick that semi techs. used. its a lot faster, cooler, and more dangerous than using the tire leavers. it can be done its just not recommended due to the fact that you can blow yourself up, melt the tire to the rime, and many other reasons. it all depends on the amount of either/ starter fluid you use to make it work. to much big boom and bad stuff happens, to little and well it doesnt do squat.:cheers:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I've seen this done successfully with large truck tires when I was in the military and I've seen it go horribly wrong with three piece rims being blown apart.

I can just see the e-mails I'll be getting now when some Pinbiker gives it a whirl. :biggrin:

For the record, this may void your warranty :clue:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
wd-40 or similar would work

you may want to try this on a junk tire and rim if possible, to bad I just threw away a somewhat bent 823! woulda been perfect.

and psi is easy to adjust AFTER the bead is seated.

wd40 wont work, tried it already, ill keep trying, there are some other isses to sort out though.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
i think lighter fluid would be pretty good... I just burnt off my eyebrows last night messing with my wood burning stove... i sprayed a ton of the stuff in there and then blew on a little glowing piece of burnt stuff and that floated a little burning ember over, ignited the lighter fluid, and knocked me on my ass... it was pretty funny... my eyelashes were burnt as well as my weekend beard...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
it has to be something with a low flash point so it burns off "qickly" so it seats
if it burns slow it may burn the tire....
Ditto.

Gasoline, starter fluid, etc.
Use too much you'll blow it off the rim, to little you'll lite your tire on fire.

And to my knowledge, that's the only way to seat tractor tires. (unless you've got a huuuuge high velocity pressure tank).
You take tractor tires off with a pickaxe. Hard work.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Good god, so this is how Darwin got his theory, huh?
Put it this way, the tire DOES get hot, very hot. And if you fail to seat the tire, the fluid sits in there and burns away. ALSO, I didn't bother watching the vid as I've had about 12 years of doing and watching this be done, there's a TON of force being blown into that tire. Usually when my 40s seated on my crawler, the tire and wheel(if NOT on the rig) would jump a good foot in the air. You're talking a 100/150 pound combo.
Gas doesn't pop anything like starter fluid. If you're gonna do it(how friggin lazy are we getting now, anyway), do it right. Use something highly combustable, and learn how to start flick matches. And when it DOES seat, I think you can assume the sealant you are using will be junk. Hell, the straight CO2 I use dried my Stans out faster than straight air(air carries moisture, especially from a compressor), I can't imagine what it looks like after it's been lightly toasted.
Go to Walmart, buy a damn $40 air tank, drill out the bung, thread it for a 1/2" fitting, buy 1/2" hose and a quick release lever for another $8 and you have enough pressure to blow your tire right off the rim, which is what the starter fluid and match trick is going to do anyway.
For those of you who have a team or get a LOT of flats, invest in a PowerTank. it's a 10 or 15(your choice) pound tank that your local welding supply shop can fill with straight CO2 for $12. a 10 pound tank will fill approx 20-30 40" 4x4 truck tires, or like 5000 bike tires. My 15lb tank runs all my air tools in my basement, my air brush, fills all my tires, runs rescue duty for our truck mishaps and flat tires in the parking lot, and blows off dusty riders and has been doing so on ONE $12 fill for about 2 1/2 years now. C02 is way more stable than air so the PSI doesn't fluctuate when the tires get hot(not really usefull to us, unless it's a high speed downtown urban session) and is drier, so you don't get any moisture buildup on cool nights.
I really still fail to see the plus side of going tubeless. I've tried it on 3 separate occasions and it's just dumb. I run 12-15psi on the trail and 25-35psi on the courses and have NEVER pinch flatted. During my last gotta-see-why-they-love-it tubless run, I cased a flat sided rock at like 20mph, blew my tire off both sides of the rim, coated everything in Stans and soaked a new set of pads and a rotor. A month ago I cased the edge of a boat dock trying a dumb flying wedgie gap and did the same thing, 2" dent in the wheel, bent spokes...but didn't even flat and kept the tire on. Grabbed two big rocks, smashed the rim back in far enough to clear the seatstays and rode it for a week. It was a little bouncy at speed, but climbed nice...