Quantcast

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Im about to put my Session 88 up for sale and its got a few dents on the downtube...Worst thing is, it only happend a few weeks ago after 2 1/2 years of beating !?!?:mad:

I glued a patch of thick rubber for the time being in order to prevent further "dentage" but it sure is going to be hard to sell that bike now.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone on here has had any luck getting a crash replacement since the "dent" issue seems to be a well know fact on the first generation Session.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Doubt it, since there is nothing really "wrong" with the bike, and the fact that you "did" it. It might be a known issue, but if you look at it from Trek's point of view, you fell or hit rocks or ect, and dented your frame, its not their "fault"

that being said, i think you should try, and i agree its an issue, but you know how it goes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i ran my car into a tree. can i warranty the fender?
More like I decided to buy and alfa and there was a hail... (you know what Im talking about if you ever seen one alfa from italy ;) ).

Im still amazed how easily many modern frames dent. 1st gen session was exceptional at it but with very wide, flat downtubes that tend to be very thin in the mid part its silly. The bike companies have their hands clean as the bike is not really broken or damaged in a way that it would be a warranty issue so Im suprised why the hell people(sheeple? ;) ) go for it?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Wow , so much hatred on this forum, kinda sad actually.The reason why Ive asked is because a good friend on mine was offered a crash replacement frame after he sent back his 2009 Demo 8 with severals dents on it...I guess there's more than one frame made out of pop can eh ? :thumb:

Drop machine : thanks for the constructive reply, people like you highly contribute to pollute this forum.Hec I didnt ask for you opinion, nobody forced ya to post that why bother? Perhaps you should stay on your own forum ? Keep the same attitude with your members and let me how that goes.

marshalolson : does your car model comes stock with an "extra" fender protection for 2011 like the Session ? Im pretty sure there's something going on with their downtube otherwise why would they be one of the only bike manufacturers to make fenders for their DH bikes downtubes?

norbar : well since you ask, the reason why I WENT for it is simply because the bike was given to me for some work I did...That said, the bike has been solid to me for over 2 years of serious abuse and I only dented this years during C-worx ( I had never seen the park with so many loose rocks!)

I would actually buy another one in a heartbeat to be honest as I have yet to see a bike company build a bike with zero issues what soever and I believe Trek are the only one to sell that sort of protection for a DH bike as of now.

I went and asked my LBS but it'll be a little while until I hear back from them and I was hoping some fellow monkey would have known this answer to my question.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i ran my car into a tree. can i warranty the fender?
when i worked at a car dealership i had a client who wanted warranty coverage for a crash.

"hey, my TRUCK (a freaking rav4!) crashed a tiny peugeot 206 (sub-compact hatchback) and now it has this huge dent in the fender!, this is CLEARLY a warranty issue, THIS IS A TRUCK crashing a tiny car, and the other car wasnt very damaged!"

god, how i hated the customers there, i was a few weeks short of going all unambomber on those mother****ers....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Wow , so much hatred on this forum, kinda sad actually.The reason why Ive asked is because a good friend on mine was offered a crash replacement frame after he sent back his 2009 Demo 8 with severals dents on it...I guess there's more than one frame made out of pop can eh ? :thumb:

Drop machine : thanks for the constructive reply, people like you highly contribute to pollute this forum.Hec I didnt ask for you opinion, nobody forced ya to post that why bother? Perhaps you should stay on your own forum ? Keep the same attitude with your members and let me how that goes.

marshalolson : does your car model comes stock with an "extra" fender protection for 2011 like the Session ? Im pretty sure there's something going on with their downtube otherwise why would they be one of the only bike manufacturers to make fenders for their DH bikes downtubes?

norbar : well since you ask, the reason why I WENT for it is simply because the bike was given to me for some work I did...That said, the bike has been solid to me for over 2 years of serious abuse and I only dented this years during C-worx ( I had never seen the park with so many loose rocks!)

I would actually buy another one in a heartbeat to be honest as I have yet to see a bike company build a bike with zero issues what soever and I believe Trek are the only one to sell that sort of protection for a DH bike as of now.

I went and asked my LBS but it'll be a little while until I hear back from them and I was hoping some fellow monkey would have known this answer to my question.
I wasnt saying it personaly to you but to all the ppl who go for the fancy new bikes (as a large % of the new bikes dent extra easy and not all of them are light). As for extra protection offered by trek - what do you mean? Crash replacement? Im sure santa cruz offers it but many companies with good CS offer it unofficialy under the table ;)

As for no issues - I can understand bearing problems or some smaller stuff but If I have to make extra protection for my frame or it will be worthless if I want to sell it its not really a small issue. It essentialy makes the frame more expsensive for you in the long term because you will sell it for much less. My current frame is only covered with clear tape to protect the paint and has no dents after a very rocky season but MANY of the new frames my friends have require special protection. That is silly. I hope that if car mfgs understood that you cant make them out of tinfoil (or profiles that behave like it) the bike industry will get that too.

Sorry for the rant. Im just pissed that my frame options are limited (not that I want to change for now ...) because recently the frames lost only a little weight and a lot of them became bikes for ppl who dont crash or for pussies(though one of my frames is called a pussy I get up fast after crashes ;) )

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
If you think Trek built a bike with Zero issues...you need to research further. And you can see that they've beefed it up for this coming round. They woulnd't have done that if they were perfect. They're great bikes, but man...scary. I can't imagine what it would take to get me to buy a second hand 88.

There was no attitude in the post, just fact. Next time I'll put a smiley or something. I'm just saying you can buy a super thin tubed DH bike, then act surprised/ dissapointed/ confused or whatever when it dents. Its not an issue with the bike, its an issue with thin tubed alloy frames. I bet they'd be open to a crash replacement though, as you aren't asking for anything free. Seems a reasonable request to me I'd say.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
dang man, just giving you a hard time. this is the internet afterall, remember sarcasm does not always come across the way it does in real life.

lets say you owned a 1st gen santa cruz nomad, but was not in love with the shock curve. would you try to warranty it for the gen 2 version to get the updated shock curve, since santa cruz is clearly admitting by that the platform was flawed? or are they just listening to their customers and speaking to their needs and feedback?

the point is that most bike owners feel really entitled about their toys, and seem to think warranty should cover every single anything ever on a bike. you are riding down a steep rocky hill on a super light tube of aluminum at high speeds with knobby tires. getting dents in the frame is part of the game.

if the frame cracked or failed, that is probably a manufacturing issue. but the trek frame was specifically designed to be the lightest dh frame on the market. the only way to do so is to use lighter and thinner tubing. there are clear compromises with this sort of mentality... such as probably having to throw it away every few years if you are riding hard. that is the compromise that the trek explicitly made to come out with arguably the lightest, quickest handling, yet stiff enough to be stable bike on the market.

i don't doubt they would give you a great deal on a replacement frame. think wholesale or so. like 40% off msrp on the frame.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
you also forgot that for 2011 the session 88 got whole new front triangle too. But the session 8 remains the same from 2010 to 2011. I don't remember seeing any frame protection on the 2011 session 8 which shares the same front triangle as your frame. Now this is not to say they don't need protection, as many people know they are lighter, but hell they are race bikes, designed to be that way, think Intense FRO tubeset thickness.

so basically the protection you are referring to is on the new 2011 session 88 frameset, and thus doesn't prove the validity of your claim.

but damn they ride well.

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
you also forgot that for 2011 the session 88 got whole new front triangle too. But the session 8 remains the same from 2010 to 2011. I don't remember seeing any frame protection on the 2011 session 8 which shares the same front triangle as your frame. Now this is not to say they don't need protection, as many people know they are lighter, but hell they are race bikes, designed to be that way, think Intense FRO tubeset thickness.

so basically the protection you are referring to is on the new 2011 session 88 frameset, and thus doesn't prove the validity of your claim.

but damn they ride well.

The 2011 Session 8 at least has a non-integrated downtube armor... Zip-tied and will be sold aftermarket from what I've read...

I'm currently contemplating on buying a 2010 Session 88 but now i'm having second thoughts after reading this thread...

@ Tuumbaq: How'd u dent it anyway?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm currently contemplating on buying a 2010 Session 88 but now i'm having second thoughts after reading this thread...
I've had tons of rocks ping off the downtube of my 10' Session, some quite large and audible. None have left any dents. There also haven't been any top tube dents from crashing or washing out. Maybe its that I don't put as many weekends on the hill as I used to, but I'm certainly not riding any slower or more forgiving than I used to. There hasn't been a single instance where I thought my Session was "fragile"; I've got complete confidence in it. The bike shreds. This is the same website that refuses to buy a frame based on torx hardware. Widespread windbags and finger jockeys. Buy what you want.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've had tons of rocks ping off the downtube of my 10' Session, some quite large and audible. None have left any dents. There also haven't been any top tube dents from crashing or washing out. Maybe its that I don't put as many weekends on the hill as I used to, but I'm certainly not riding any slower or more forgiving than I used to. There hasn't been a single instance where I thought my Session was "fragile"; I've got complete confidence in it. The bike shreds. This is the same website that refuses to buy a frame based on torx hardware. Widespread windbags and finger jockeys. Buy what you want.
Pretty much sums up my feelings. I have some mcgyvered downtube armor, so that if I ever want to sell it I can sell it in top condition, but like you said, never once have I worried that it would dent/crack/break or be in any way unsafe to ride. I don't think it'll be an issue, because I'm poor, and have no interest in buying a new one, but the only thing that might possibly sway me is going to carbon and a slightly stiffer and quieter fame. Until then, I'll ride the piss out of mine and have 100% confidence it will handle any dirt I happen to ride over (because northstar, norcal, and socal have no rocks)

The funniest part is, I used to be swayed by the fingerjockys opinions on RM, and I almost didn't buy this bike because I'd heard of it denting and seen a couple.

Incredibly glad I bought it. By far the most perfect feeling (for me) bike I've ever ridden.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Pretty much sums up my feelings. I have some mcgyvered downtube armor, so that if I ever want to sell it I can sell it in top condition, but like you said, never once have I worried that it would dent/crack/break or be in any way unsafe to ride. I don't think it'll be an issue, because I'm poor, and have no interest in buying a new one, but the only thing that might possibly sway me is going to carbon and a slightly stiffer and quieter fame. Until then, I'll ride the piss out of mine and have 100% confidence it will handle any dirt I happen to ride over (because northstar, norcal, and socal have no rocks)

The funniest part is, I used to be swayed by the fingerjockys opinions on RM, and I almost didn't buy this bike because I'd heard of it denting and seen a couple.

Incredibly glad I bought it. By far the most perfect feeling (for me) bike I've ever ridden.

Almost any frame with downtube protection will not bend ;) Its only silly that it requires one. Though what is more silly for me is that even a heavier frame like demo or an m6 dents as easily. Though it prolly all depends on how you ride - met a guy that was on his 5th rear end on his session ;)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
hold the phone, so you're trying to get warranty on a frame that you (in effect) damaged, but didn't actually pay for, so you can get more money for it?? If I've picked that up right, dude that's cheap!
??? Like I said I DID SOME WORK FOR A FRIEND A MINE and the bike was a payment for my work...So basically, pretty much the same deal has buying one, beside unless if you are millionaire I personally dont know of too many people in north america who dont mind spending extra money just for fun.

I love the bike, it shreds and its unfortunate the dents ALL appeared within a matter of a few days... didnt change anything to my riding, it just happened...bad luck I guess.

I dont recall signing an agreement or reading small imprints about the bike being a "race" bike only.Beside, its not like I put serious stress into the weldings by chucking the bike off 100 foot cliff or stuff like that! (what does FRO really stands for anyway , seems kinda of a gray area to me)

I bet the dents could have just happened on my first run and I dont believe they suddenly started to appeared because of metal fatigue.

Im not saying the frame is any weaker than any other frame Ive had, just pointing the obvious here since TREK themselves went on to put some extra frame protection in 2011.Im not expecting to get a new frame for free (but wouldnt refuse it if they offered it;-) ) Im thinking wholesale would be nice, or at least some sort of a deal.I simply think I'd be a nice for Trek to recognize the facts and stand up behind their product.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
crash replacement possibly - warranty no
Doesnt exist anymore

They do however have a customer loyalty program now though

Direct answer for the OP....... No, your not covered for warranty for dents on a DH frame.

EDIT.... read the posts... some funny some not. Note that you are not the original owner...... dont waste anyone time by asking a shop to make the call for you, no receipt, no warranty.......

Im not gonna slam, degrade, or any crap like that..... Bottom line is, dents are not covered for warranty, and warranty is a non transfferable item.....

Another note for the 88's.... Friend of mine has one that has had a dent in the downtube for a little over two years now. One which he acquired by way of a shuttle pad. Dakine shuttle pad to be exact....... We hit a pothole in the road, bikes bounced a little bit...... Out of the Blindside, the M3, the Socom, the 88, and the Demo...... The 88 was the only one to get damaged..... And in all seriousness...... Its a bull**** dent, tat happened from a designer using too thin of a tube.

Last edited: