Quantcast

would you be annoyed?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
kidwoo said:
I raced road bikes in college so part of my midweek regimen involved a lot of group rides during the week. In my experience the majority of folks on the ride know the route and if someone on the front goes another way, the group won't follow......it's not the route.
semi related note...i was doing an xc race and at the front of the train, i missed a turn and took a bunch of them with me...man were they pissed :nuts:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
kidwoo said:
.....Things like this combined with some of the comments I used to hear during races have brought me to the very well founded conclusion that the majority of hardcore roadies are some of the most insecure, clueless and rude people I have ever come accross in my life. Some sort of wierd power trip comes from a supposed greater degree of knowledge in a pretty simplistic activity that I just don't understand. I have a lot of venom for a significant part of the community.
Couldn't agree with that more. "Just shut the F up and ride your GD bike!!!" They bring everything to a ride that a ride is suppossed to cleanse. Bastards!

My gf was a member of a "racing" club for a year. Mostly roadies which was fine b/c she wanted to do a lot of training on the road but had few people to ride with. Too many clubriders are over the hill but still act like they are going to win the tour. If they know you are a mtb rider it gets even worse. K would get yelled at by other riders for riding too fast in races. They were so concerend with being a team that they would lose sight of the fact that they were racing. Add that to the fact that the "leader" is the most popular but not necessarliy fastest and it get even worse. She would try to work with them but woulf always end up dropping them. They always treated her like a noob even though she has an expert XC and DH license. Lately K has found out that all of the best riders she knows hate clubs and would rather ride on their own or with small groups of friends. No sh!++Y egos, just good riding. One of my firends had a similar experience in college.
Just yesterday K was talking to two of the fastest women in New England (Dawn B and Anda) and both said the same thing: They ride 5 days a week, take time off when they need to recover. No trainers. Sprints on some nights, epics on others. I think that being laid back is a huge part of being fast at most levels, especially local. Too many club riders seem to join up b/c they feel like it will be their only opotunity to hit the "big time". I wrenched for a shop that sponsored a very large club and they were wicked pains in the ass, but spent lots of money.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
I get annoyed just reading about people's unfortunate experiences with group rides. I'll never know how or why some group riders take everything so seriously while making sure that nobody enjoys the ride anymore.

I say show up with beer, smoke, cut-off jeans, Slayer t-shirt, mp3 player and ride at the front the whole time...really give them something to get flustered about :thumb:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
MtnBikerChk said:
TOO TRUE! Ever notice that if you are riding down the street and there is a "real roadie" on the other side that he/she won't wave to you unless you are on a road bike and dressed the part of a roadie? If you are on your mtb in regular shorts, forget it!
you need to move to a nicer part of the country....

I'd say if the roadies are getting pissed at you for being the new guy then you need to find a new group.

It also sounds a lot like how am golfing can be. Those who are really good are more than happy to show another the ropes. Those who aren't all that good and want to be better are willing to be a dick to someone who doesn't know the route or isn't "good enough".

I've been riding with a group that consists of mostly 1,2, and 3's lately with a few slower 4 riders. I get dropped about half way through the ride, but I still am included as one of them during the pre-ride sh*t-talk.

It sounds like this group is too slow for you and not very friendly. i say go find a new group or get going on some solo rides.

The Ito

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
welcome to road riding. I ride 12-22 hours a week solo or with one other person. It's like riding on the front the whole time without all the bull****e.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been riding with the Rowads lately. They got some funny traits. I just go along with the program and follow the rules. All except one. I git across the rowad. I wait for nobody when it comes to that. I have seen group rides where the group is so big it clogs intersections and pisses of drivers. Just lame IMO. If I know the route I race up ahead and wait instead of getting caught up in the cluster fack. I also dislike when group rides become group races. Dropping folks on group rides is not like riding into the Champs Elysée. You don't win anything but your own ego trip.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I remember reading an interview w/ one of the Houseman bros a few years ago- whichever was riding for Tomac. They (both Housemans) were on a road ride and no one owuld give them the time of day. Then it came time for the first town line sprint and they destroyed the group. I get so sick of how even the sh**iest roadie somwhoe thinks they are better than the best MTBer. I know that there are exceptions, but the overall attitude sucks. Another reason I love DH.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I used to ride road......

When I was wearing a jersey, the "correct" shorts, etc., they would usually wave back when I waved.....but if I got home from work and threw on a T-shirt and "regular" shorts for a quick ride they looked at me like I was a nut. I'm riding a bike; it's not a fashion show!

Like everything, some people's attitudes just suck. Show up in full DH gear, drop all of them, and then laugh in the parking lot at the end of the ride....

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Repack said:
I get so sick of how even the sh**iest roadie somwhoe thinks they are better than the best MTBer. I know that there are exceptions, but the overall attitude sucks. Another reason I love DH.
I got much of the same attitude when I showed up to a DH race in a t-shirt and riding a hardtail. I see the same attitude in DH racing when some new guy shoes up on his XC rig with a XC lid and clipped in.

Seriously, don't think that the group you claim is any different, you all seem to have the same prejudice.

The Ito

P.S. I'd love to see some of you show up at a real road ride and try to "ride at the front". None of you seem to understand the ideas behind a group ride, but then most of you probably haven't been on one. Forget this tough guy act, just learn how to appreciate the damn sport.

P.P.S. I do apologize for those roadies who have been idiots to you in the past. I feel similar dislike towards the downhillers who don't respect the trails in my hometown and help get them shutdown.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ito said:
P.S. I'd love to see some of you show up at a real road ride and try to "ride at the front". None of you seem to understand the ideas behind a group ride, but then most of you probably haven't been on one. Forget this tough guy act, just learn how to appreciate the damn sport.

ok your highness, please explain these things to all us dumbasses

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
ito said:
P.S. I'd love to see some of you show up at a real road ride and try to "ride at the front".
Please explain what a "real road ride" is, because I'd hate to show up for one that's fake. What should I be looking for? Matching uniforms? $4000 bikes? :)

Meh, I'm glad I have family and friends to ride with. These roadie group rides sound too snooty for me.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
ito said:
...P.S. I'd love to see some of you show up at a real road ride and try to "ride at the front". None of you seem to understand the ideas behind a group ride, but then most of you probably haven't been on one. Forget this tough guy act, just learn how to appreciate the damn sport.
From most of my experiences with group rides, most of the "real road riders" don't understand the ideas behind a group ride either. People get competitive and want to show others how fast they can go, or push hard to see who will keep up or get dropped. Amuses me to see a group ride with everyone separated and spread out, hotrods showing off, other people trying to keep up. Save the racing for race day. People would appreciate the sport much more if they didn't get involved with the wrong group...the group with the tough guys out front making sure everyone else knows they aren't slow.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
douglas said:
ok your highness, please explain these things to all us dumbasses
Never called any of you dumbasses, but if you want some explainations I'll do my best.

First thing is first, figure out what type of ride the group is doing. From the sounds of it most of you want a group ride that goes at a mellow pace and has regroups so that no one gets left behind. That's fine, you should be able to find one. Go on the club's website and look at the description for each of the rides. If you want a hammer-fest that will get you fast then look for the fast rides with the top guys. There are usually plenty of options so don't get stuck in one ride. Also, in a large group on a fast ride don't expect everyone to slow down because you are hurting. If you blow your wad early on and start to fall back try to find someone' wheel to hook onto, but if you get dropped just realize what you did wrong and learn to correct that mistake next time.

Next complaint I saw a lot of in here, roadies not talking to you or remaining aloof. I had this happen the first ride I went on. Showed up early for the second ride and started talking to people. I ended up making a friend and the guy was more than happy to show me the ropes of group riding(oh and I don't have shaved legs or a full racing kit or a $4000 bike, I just started talking). I've been on four group rides with the club now and I seem to meet more people each time, it's because I try to be a nice guy and don't attempt to clash with everyone I meet(you wouldn't show up on the Whistler Chairlift without pads and a helmet, don't show up to a road ride with a death metal t-shirt and cut-offs).

As for the mountain biker vs roadie issue. Most of the guys and a number of girls I've met on the road ride mountain bikes as well. A lot of the older crowd doesn't and they can be very "old school" when it comes to riding...basically they come off as assholes. Ignore them. Otherwise someone may give you crap for riding knobbies, but for the most part it is just part of the general sh*t talking that goes on with any group of cyclists.

But I figure most of this will be ignored as I am obviously a roadie. It's ok, I'll still wave and say hi if I see you on the trail or riding on the street.

The Ito

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ito said:
Never called any of you dumbasses, but if you want some explainations I'll do my best.

First thing is first, figure out what type of ride the group is doing. From the sounds of it most of you want a group ride that goes at a mellow pace and has regroups so that no one gets left behind. That's fine, you should be able to find one. Go on the club's website and look at the description for each of the rides. If you want a hammer-fest that will get you fast then look for the fast rides with the top guys. There are usually plenty of options so don't get stuck in one ride. Also, in a large group on a fast ride don't expect everyone to slow down because you are hurting. If you blow your wad early on and start to fall back try to find someone' wheel to hook onto, but if you get dropped just realize what you did wrong and learn to correct that mistake next time.

Next complaint I saw a lot of in here, roadies not talking to you or remaining aloof. I had this happen the first ride I went on. Showed up early for the second ride and started talking to people. I ended up making a friend and the guy was more than happy to show me the ropes of group riding(oh and I don't have shaved legs or a full racing kit or a $4000 bike, I just started talking). I've been on four group rides with the club now and I seem to meet more people each time, it's because I try to be a nice guy and don't attempt to clash with everyone I meet(you wouldn't show up on the Whistler Chairlift without pads and a helmet, don't show up to a road ride with a death metal t-shirt and cut-offs).

As for the mountain biker vs roadie issue. Most of the guys and a number of girls I've met on the road ride mountain bikes as well. A lot of the older crowd doesn't and they can be very "old school" when it comes to riding...basically they come off as assholes. Ignore them. Otherwise someone may give you crap for riding knobbies, but for the most part it is just part of the general sh*t talking that goes on with any group of cyclists.

But I figure most of this will be ignored as I am obviously a roadie. It's ok, I'll still wave and say hi if I see you on the trail or riding on the street.

The Ito
I normally pick the faster pace rides they offer, and I expect to not be able to stay w/the front pack......but sometimes I manage to. Its nice when there is a sweeper on the ride, but if not oh well.
One thing I learned (really quickly) is the difficulty on catching the group once you drop back, even a little.

I go on these group road rides mostly for the exercise, plus they normally are fun regardless of talking or not talking w/others. But from my experience, roadies are just not as friendly as XC or DH riders, but thats ok, I am not there for social reasons.

I dont ever wear cotton, but I do wear baggy shorts - I like having pockets.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
douglas said:
I normally pick the faster pace rides they offer, and I expect to not be able to stay w/the front pack......but sometimes I manage to. Its nice when there is a sweeper on the ride, but if not oh well.
One thing I learned (really quickly) is the difficulty on catching the group once you drop back, even a little.

I go on these group road rides mostly for the exercise, plus they normally are fun regardless of talking or not talking w/others. But from my experience, roadies are just not as friendly as XC or DH riders, but thats ok, I am not there for social reasons.

I dont ever wear cotton, but I do wear baggy shorts - I like having pockets.
Catching the group after getting dropped does suck. If you know the route though you can often take a short cut and, if you hurry, find the group again.

Baggy shorts are fine, but look into a set of lycra shorts, your butt will thank you(no more bunching diaper feel, it's almost like riding naked!). And, in case you were wondering, your pockets are in the back of your jersey :p

The Ito

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
ito said:
...(you wouldn't show up on the Whistler Chairlift without pads and a helmet, don't show up to a road ride with a death metal t-shirt and cut-offs)....
:)
I'm as much of a road rider as I am a mtb'er. I even dress like a real roadie. I dislike group mtb rides as much as I dislike group road rides. I've been on both good and bad group rides of each type, but most times I prefer to ride solo or with 1-2 others. Personally, it's not always the issue of a group ride turning into a group race, I just like making my own decisions as to where, how fast and how long I ride.

Your explanation has some very good points and your patience with this topic is admirable :thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
You just let that crap go? I would have been embarrassed but pissed enough to show him WTF was up. I would have had to yell something back... like, "I was sick of riding my breaks, get your slow azzes up here and lead since you know the rout so danm well!".

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
As an amendment to what I said earlier, its the club riders that annoy me. On a group ride I know most if not all present. Very different situaiton. I may be a little more seneitive than others when it comes to issues like this b/c of my shop experience. Roadies would come in and rather talk to a s**ty mechanic who rode a road bike than a very good one who rode mountain. But the majority of people I dealt with were just out looking for good advice/service and that was it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree with the Ito that there are bad attitudes on both sides. I have come across some surprisingly closed minds on the mtb scene, but yeah as a general rule roadies are a bit more of a pain in the ARSE. :sneaky:

People should learn to leave the baggage at home and just ride. It's hilarious that you would take crap for taking some pulls. I mean unless you were pushing the pace beyond what the rest of the group wanted, they should welcome a new group member willing to work. That dude was probably about to get dropped, and the thought of a couple extra pedal strokes made him cry like a baby. I go through phases of enjoying group rides and just wanting to go on long rides by myself, there are pros and cons either way. Ah hell, I just like to ride, with or without other people! :p

ito

Oct 3, 2003
bigwheel said:
:)
I'm as much of a road rider as I am a mtb'er. I even dress like a real roadie. I dislike group mtb rides as much as I dislike group road rides. I've been on both good and bad group rides of each type, but most times I prefer to ride solo or with 1-2 others. Personally, it's not always the issue of a group ride turning into a group race, I just like making my own decisions as to where, how fast and how long I ride.

Your explanation has some very good points and your patience with this topic is admirable :thumb:
Solo rides or rides with one or two people are where it is at. I just like the group aspect as it allows me to push myself. I just don't like to see other people getting the wrong impression of a riding group because others are bashing it.

Anyhow, this is all under control...I think I'll go cause a ruckus in the freeride forum :sneaky:

The Ito