Votes: 21 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 68.7%

• Total voters

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I was just at my docs office, and we were talking about knee braces, and how usually its contact sports that use them. He decided to get me one and see how it goes.........

Do you consider DH a contact sport?

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
only in that it is a VERY physical and grueling sport, we where pads, compete etc. etc. so I say yes, but not in the player to player contact form....

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
It's a contact sport of you bail and hit a tree, rock, or the ground and may suffer serious injury as a consequence. What other sports do you have to wear a full face helmet and pads for? Are they full contact?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I wouldn't consider it a contact sport since I think the terminology implies that it requires physical contact against opposing players.

Also if you search "define:Contact Sport" in google. The definition is a sport that necessarily involves body contact between opposing players.

Anyway, does it matter?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
motomike said:
MX racers wear knee braces.
There's a lot more going on with mx races with 40 or so guys on heavy machines pinning it right next to you on your heavy machine. But I know plenty of guys that wear moto braces riding DH. It's definitely not a bad idea.

Contact usually means contact with other people so no...... I don't think DH is any more a "contact" sport than skateboarding.

Roller derby........THAT'S a contact sport.:)

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
^^^ true. I've been hurt just as bad racing DH as I have racing MX. Contact sport or not, it's not a bad idea to wear braces IMO.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
stoney98 said:
Contact sport. You ever try passing someone who won't let you by?
Of course. But I just ring my little bunny bell and say "pardon kind sir/madam, I do so wish to pin it yet am currently impeded by your presence" and then wait patiently to pass all the while yielding to uphill traffic, equestrians, hikers and making sure to ride it and not slide it.
stoney98 said:
DH son
stoney98 said:
you+ground=contact
I've never actually crashed riding DH before so I can't comment.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jabuttri said:
No, because if everything goes according to plan there is no contact. In all other contact sports it is not a negitive thing.

Thats what I was thinking, but.......... its kind of inevitable. I don't think ANY DHer can say they have never fallen. It just takes that one time......... thats why we wear all these pads, right?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I really don't like the phrase "contact sport". So, DH isn't a contact sport, therefore you don't have to wear a kneebrace? That's crap. If you're knee is bad then you should do whatever needs to be done to prevent further injury, cause you WILL crash in DH, and then everything you hit is "contact".

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think that doc is getting hung up on trying to make DH fit a category that doesn't really apply. "Contact Sport" usually means contact with other people, things like tackles and body checks that are an accepted and expected part of the game. In DH we gear up just in case we make contact but we hope it doesn't happen. At least most of us. What he seems to be missing is that you don't need contact with other people to make a brace a good idea.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
OGRipper said:
I think that doc is getting hung up on trying to make DH fit a category that doesn't really apply. "Contact Sport" usually means contact with other people, things like tackles and body checks that are an accepted and expected part of the game. In DH we gear up just in case we make contact but we hope it doesn't happen. At least most of us. What he seems to be missing is that you don't need contact with other people to make a brace a good idea.
thank you. I couldn't figure out how to say it right.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Contact sport to me means you make contact with another human while playing the sport.

Im with Dexter on this.

4x=YES
DH=NO

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i grew up playing contact sports like hockey and lacrosse so i dont consider dh or 4x to be a contact sport. i believe a contact sport is a sport where hitting is common and encouraged, in downhilling you crash but you arent contacting someone else and in 4x usually its more of a crash after someone cuts you off or you cut someone off, i havent seen any t-bonings or hip checks in all of the 4x races ive seen so thats my take on it.
stoney98 said:
Contact sport. You ever try passing someone who won't let you by? 4x? you+ground=contact
Frisbee -> not a contact sport
from your logic there, ultimate frisbee is a contact sport. full layouts usually end up with the person hitting the ground, hard.