Quantcast

Would you drive 50 miles & pay $40 to ride @ a lift acessable bike park?

jonnybiff

Chimp
Oct 5, 2006
I am taking a survey, to show to the marketing deparents of the local mountians in southern California, this is an attempt to sway the powers that be into buildinga bike park. This survey will help to deteime if a market exist to justify such a large undertaking.

Do you want a bike park in so cal?

Is price a concern?

How far are you willing to drive to ride a sick bike park?

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Do you want a bike park in so cal?

hell yeah!!!

back when big bear was open, i drove 3 1/2 hours to ride there...i forget what the lift ticket cost was. $25?

and now, we drive 6 hours to ride mammoth every now and then.

i'd buy a season pass without a doubt if i only had to drive 50 miles.

i'm in SB...where is this hypothetical bike park to be located?

price is a bit of a concern. $40 seems a bit high, but if the park was nice and loaded, it would be worth it for sure.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
50 miles and $40.... make it $30 and you have a deal. I'd pay $40 if you had foam pit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I would easily drive greater than 50 miles, and would likely pay $40 to ride a bike park.

If said bike park showed a genuine interest in trail construction through a full time dedicated trail crew, progressive trail design, and a willingness to communicate with the riders in order to achieve a superior product...........I might even come back every weekend..........and post about it gushingly on the internet which would no doubt boost ticket sales. :)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I drive over 100miles on a sunday just to ride in different spots and do shuttles. It wouldn't be everyweek but at least once a month. I also travell to France every year to ride with lifts. Lift ticket for the week usually runs about $100. Accomodation and flights go on top of that. Propper trails and bike parks are a big tourism draw. You just have to look at all the bike parks popping up in ski resorts around Europe to see its profitable for the towns. Theres no point in having all those apartments, challets and hotels lying empty in the summer.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
My girl and I currently drive 285 miles one way and pay $39 a day for passes. We're usually down in Southern California quite a bit over then summer, and would def. go somewhere there if it were open.

Wasn't Baldy supposed to get some trails built for next year?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
mt snows 150, go there, plattys 200ish, diablos about 120. 50 miles is nothing. $40 could be a little steep if its not a real good park, try 30-35

jonnybiff

Chimp
Oct 5, 2006
The location is still undecided but some where in southern California. It really depends who wants to jump on board and build a park. This is to spark the interest of the owners and operators of our local ski/snowboard parks.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm sure everyone is with me when I say that the resources for legal SoCal DH is on the decline. If it means that the riders should jump in and help build, you should get a LOT of help. However, getting the $$ is a different story.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I was driving 2 hours and paying $20 to ride Big Bear...and it wasn't that great.........so....... Yes. Eddie Would go.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
hell yes - in my case it's over 200 miles each way just to get to the closest chairlift assisted resort (North Star).

50 miles I do on a regular basis just to hit killer XC trails...

Jan 18, 2006
Most of the traveling we do here on the East Coast is 50 plus mileage wise. The going price seems to be 40 to 45 bucks.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I made 3 10+ hour trips last summer for lift assisted Downhilling. I would **** a brick if I could drive an hour and have access to a ski lift with downhill trails.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
many nyc riders travel the 50 miles to ride diablo, some have season passes yet many dont. i travel a good 2 hours for plattekill, and even longer for whiteface and mount snow.... but 2 miles for diablo

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I would absolutely drive 50 miles for some good lift-serviced DH. I drive that far to race at Fontana without complaint.

Mc.Dub

Monkey
Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
Bromont is a good example of a hill close to a major metro area, Montreal (+/-55 minutes from downtown). It's an hour from where I live and it's almost a none issue to drive there for lift assited DH (or snowboarding) and there is a bike park. Rates are $37 on the weekend and $32 during the week. That's for 20+ trails and a bike park, but not a great one.

The thing is though, they sell season passes for $50 if you buy a ski pass early. and $99 if you buy your bike pass before the season starts (without a ski pass). Regular price is $129 I beleive. So $40 per ride doesn't seem like a bad price, but would you offer season passes, and at what price?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Yes, yes I would. I already drive to 400+ each way for $33 lift tickets every summer. I'd make thousands of weekend trips @ 50miles for $40. That's $40thousands of dollars!!!!!!!:imstupid:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I drive 5+ hours currently to go to Mammoth so hells yeah I'd drive up to big bear, Snow Summit etc to ride.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I drive 507 miles each way to Whistler ever year.... It ends up being about 33 bucks a day for lift tickets. But I would pay more if I had to.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Actually, I have lift access biking about that far away... for less money... but the place pretty much blows. I've been there ONCE.
So, I think a lot will depend on the QUALITY of the trails.