Quantcast

Would you pay $1700 to ride a roller coaster?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Coasting to a white-knuckle world
Agence France Presse | 20 May

The idea of paying nearly 1,700 dollars to be catapulted up a vertical incline the height of a 45-story building at 130 miles per hour comes naturally to the likes of Jeremy Delong.

"Worth every cent," the 22-year-old naval serviceman from Ohio concluded as he disembarked from the maiden run Thursday of "Kingda Ka" -- the world's newest, tallest and fastest roller coaster.

Installed at the Six Flags Theme Park near Trenton, New Jersey, the monster ride uses a hydraulic launch system to slingshot riders horizontally from 0 to 205 kilometers (128 miles) per hour in 3.5 sickening seconds.

Fact Sheet: http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/pdf/kingdaka-factsheet.pdf

The momentum flings the 18-seater train into a 90 degree climb to a height of 139 meters (456 feet), followed by a vertical plunge through a three-quarter spiral and a final jaunt over a 39-meter (129-foot) high "camel hump."

With the entire ride lasting under a minute, the thrill cost Delong 33 dollars per second, after he bid 1,692 dollars on the Internet auction house eBay for the right to be on the first run.

"I was willing to pay up to 2,000 dollars if necessary," said Delong, a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts club, who has ridden 146 other coasters across the United States.

"The launch alone is phenomenal ... there's this incredible force, this pressure on your chest and then your eyes start streaming from the wind," he gushed to an increasingly appalled looking reporter from Japan.

"No, really .. it doesn't hurt," he added quickly. "It's one of the most exhilarating feelings ever."

Delong was joined in the front car by Jeff Skonieczny, 34, another coaster addict who bid 1,156 dollars for his seat and was quite candid about why.

"Bragging rights," he crowed. The general manager of an office supply store in Southbridge, Massachusetts, Skonieczny has no problems fitting his obsession into his work schedule.

"I can take time off when I want. I'm the manager," he said.

To put the velocity of Kingda Ka into perspective, a Ferrari 360 Modena takes one more second to accelerate to half the speed.

A fighter plane launched off an aircraft carrier gets to 150 mph in about two seconds, while a Top Fuel dragster car can reach 100 mph in less than one second.

While statistics like those exceed what Kingda Ka has to offer, they carry the significant side risk -- as the ride's project manager Jeff Glinter pointed out -- of almost certain death for the armchair layman.

"This ride is a way to provide an exceptional thrill, very safely, that you just couldn't get anywhere else," Glinter said.

"Basically, it's like an extreme sport for the masses," agreed Steve Urbanowicz, 46, a professional "coaster historian" and author of the devoted rider's bible, "The Roller Coaster Lover's Companion."

Kingda Ka's assumption of the world record coaster crown ends the two-year reign of the "Top Thrill Dragster" ride at Cedar Point, Ohio, which boasted a top speed of 193 kilometers (120 miles) per hour and a maximum height of 128 meters (420 feet).

According to Urbanowicz, who has ridden nearly 900 coasters worldwide, holding the title means an enormous boost for a theme park's popularity.

"Everybody takes notice," he said. "Another park could have 30 of the world's best coasters in terms of design, quality and experience, but if you have the tallest then you'll draw the bigger crowds."

While the hardened coaster pros enthused over such elements as Kingda Ka's "hang time" (the feeling of weightlesness as the train crests the top of the incline), there were some whose ashen faces betrayed more delicate constitutions.

"Horrifying. Everyone else was screaming happily. I think I managed one long, extended gurgle of panic," said Drew Parker, 35.

"They told me I would be able to see the Manhattan skyline from the top," Parker added. "I can't say I took the time to look."

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
Why anyone would go there when there's Cedar Point within a day's drive is beyond me...... :confused:

-S.S.-
did you read the article?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm....$1700 will get me how many season passes at Diablo and Plattekill? No thanks.

I've been to 6 flags in NJ like 5-6 times. I hate it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. I was just commenting on going to a theme park other than Cedar Point in general.... :p

-S.S.-
Personally I hate "theme" parks. There is a small one I go to in PA and thats about it. I hate crowds, I hate lines, I hate expensive food, I hate rude people, all the things they have at theme parks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
Personally I hate "theme" parks. There is a small one I go to in PA and thats about it. I hate crowds, I hate lines, I hate expensive food, I hate rude people, all the things they have at theme parks.
Take a trip to Cedar Point on a weekday. :thumb: Preferably before school lets out.

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
:stupid:

I hate fat kids, and they are everywhere today. Children should not have wrist and ankle creases past 18 months old.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
:stupid:

I hate fat kids, and they are everywhere today. Children should not have wrist and ankle creases past 18 months old.
Ya know what pisses me off more than fat kids, watching the parents feed them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. Stuffing their faces with corn dogs and funnel cakes.

Hold on.......

I :heart: funnel cakes. :drool:

-S.S.-
yeah I love funnel cakes! I aint the skinniest guy either but I'm f'ing glad my mom taught me how to eat and never let me have a nintendo.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
damn for $1700 I would have told him to buy a bike and a day pass at diablo.. or better yet rent one.. much cheaper

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
hooples3 said:
damn for $1700 I would have told him to buy a bike and a day pass at diablo.. or better yet rent one.. much cheaper
It does sound weird that someone would pay that much to be the first to ride a coaster but that's what the guy is into. Think about it, we get the same kind of reaction when people find out how much we pay for our bikes. To us it seems normal to pay a lot of money for a bike but most people think we are nuts.

If you have the money then go for it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Joe Pozer said:
It does sound weird that someone would pay that much to be the first to ride a coaster but that's what the guy is into. Think about it, we get the same kind of reaction when people find out how much we pay for our bikes. To us it seems normal to pay a lot of money for a bike but most people think we are nuts.
Well yeah, but his $1700 bought him 8 seconds. At least the bike should last a few years.

Unless you don't ride it like DH Girlie, then it should last indefinitely. :thumb:

-S.S.-

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
That looks cool and all, but i've always wanted to set up a zip-line in between the towers (746' high) of the Golden Gate Bridge...that's like 1.5 miles of zip-lining...swweeeeet

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
That would be one hell of a ride... I would deal with all the shortcomming of a theme park to take a couple runs on that.