Quantcast

Would you shoot this?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I was wondering how a hog that big stayed alive on a commercial hunting site- just not natural.

As far as hunting goes, I'm all for it, but from a biological/laziness perspective I'd rather eat chicking standing in it's own sterile piss than risk tapeworm, hookworm, ringworm or other parasites from diseased animals that wasted my afternoon chasing.

Can't the kid just play Xbox like everyone else?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
It's just the way of the American man. We hate what we can't conquer and kill what we don't understand...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Thanks for enlightening us all on what the "hunter mentality" is. Conservation today would not be possible without hunting as a form of population control. Is it any more or less fair than buying chicken or cow at the store?
funny we're the ones growing past our means but we kill everything else in the name of population contol...D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oops. Turns out the pig wasn't a ferocious wild boar after all. And the kid is a pretty horrible shot. And the hunt was canned.
Nothing like shooting domestic pigs in a barrel...er...a...private reserve. Too bad the pig didn't attempt to maul the kid like the
. 5 out 16 shots actually hit the pig...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nothing like shooting domestic pigs in a barrel...er...a...private reserve. Too bad the pig didn't attempt to maul the kid like the
. 5 out 16 shots actually hit the pig...
Not to many private reserves around here. And even if there were. I couldn't afford to go to them. Nature is free thank God. You either can get your own. Or you can't. Sorry if you tried and failed. I understand your resentment. I dislike losing too.... Lighten up lucy....

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Wow, that lion vid is really sad. Why do educated/wealthy people want to kill such neat animals- you can't say it's for the meat. I'm pro hunting w/respect to freedom and theory, but there aren't many hunters that I respect.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
totally off point, but this is awesome.

That just takes the safari hunter right out of me.

Apr 23, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Hey... I carve my own decoys for hunting geese... (but there are plenty of other reasons you would label me as a NutJob! ):twitch:

My reasons for not hunting game animals are... #1. Bek is a vegetarian (who eats chicken and turkey on occasion) so I would be the only one in my family that would eat it the meat, and I don't like to waste. #2... I am a pretty damn good shot with a rifle, so I don't deer hunt because around here with the number of dear around it isn't that much of a hunt as it is a shooting gallery... hence the reason I hunted with a bow with no sights... IF I COULDN'T MAKE THE KILL SHOT (or what I thought would be the kill shot) I WOULDN'T SHOOT!

#3... NO I wouldn't have shot the pig because I am allergic to pork! and if I can't eat it why should I kill it?
Nice decoys....... Honker jalapeno salami mmmmm mmmm mmmm... the kids love it !!!!!!!!

For all you who hate "harvesting game" go ahead and eat up that KFC ..... like stated above those chickens get .80 sq ft to live in and lay 400 eggs then after that its a 8 piece or better yet "parts".

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Getting an adrenaline rush from killing an animal during a hunt is something that is programmed genetically. The hunt is part of it too, dont discount that. In ancient times, it would've been a huge advantage to LOVE killing, as it wouldve meant more food on the table (or in the cave I guess) and more healthy offspring, and further continuation of ones genes. Now, that might not jive with urban san francisco, but if all of a sudden the grocery store had no groceries....what would happen to you?
you'd probably go to the next one - because as far as i'm aware we no longer live in caves (they didn't have internet connections) making that arguement a little pointless

So why are we poking fun at a kid because he is fat? Jealous of his tenacity and skill? Yep - I think the fat boy may have caused some of you to question the size of your testicles...
I'm not even sure what can be said to a comment that stupid.

Right I'm off to hunt Haggis with some RPGs - my stones must be HUGE! :twitch:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So a fat kid shot a pig, in the south. His (redneck) family is proud. What's everyone got their panties in a wad about? It's business as usual. They ate the damned thing. I hope it tasted good.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, I guess I'd better not let my pet deer run around the rifle range anymore. Some jackhole might get the wrong idea.

Apr 19, 2007
This is the only country in the world where people go hunting on full bellies.

By the way a .50 caliber pistol is relatively weak, even compared to a .50 cal muzzle loader. I hunt some, and shoot alot. Any handgun is going to be pitiful from a power factor stand point. Ethics should have dictated that the animal be harvested cleanly, and not a three hour torture feast, with bad shot placement and so many missed shots. If the kid couldn't shoot the pistol accurately he should have never been allowed to shoot at the animal.

Canned hunts are no different than going to the freezer and getting the meat, with the exception of shooting it. You shoot it, they clean, prep and package the meat for you, you cook it. It costs you about $1500 to get the meat this way. I would rather go to the store.

When I kill an animal I shoot, clean, bone and freeze/vaccum seal the meat myself. My family eats it.

For the record wild boar is lean, and delicious. That hog is farm raised and will be like store bought sausage.

Apr 23, 2006
Eugene Oregon
This is the only country in the world where people go hunting on full bellies.

By the way a .50 caliber pistol is relatively weak, even compared to a .50 cal muzzle loader. I hunt some, and shoot alot. Any handgun is going to be pitiful from a power factor stand point. Ethics should have dictated that the animal be harvested cleanly, and not a three hour torture feast, with bad shot placement and so many missed shots. If the kid couldn't shoot the pistol accurately he should have never been allowed to shoot at the animal.

Canned hunts are no different than going to the freezer and getting the meat, with the exception of shooting it. You shoot it, they clean, prep and package the meat for you, you cook it. It costs you about $1500 to get the meat this way. I would rather go to the store.

When I kill an animal I shoot, clean, bone and freeze/vaccum seal the meat myself. My family eats it.

For the record wild boar is lean, and delicious. That hog is farm raised and will be like store bought sausage.
Nice post for be'in your first one.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Maybe its just me. But I don't know anyone that hunts for a thrill kill. I must be lucky because all the hunters I know (or would have anything to do with) eat what they kill.

Who actually hunts with a pistol. Come on. Just silly.....

I would very much like to try boar. I am kind of confused as to what is boar as compared to feral pig?? Free range pig?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
funny we're the ones growing past our means but we kill everything else in the name of population contol...D
There are more whitetail deer in the US today than there were when Columbus arrived. Now, alot of that is to do with the elimination of predators and those that compete with the whitetail for resources, but that doesnt eliminate us from the responsibility of keeping their numbers in check. If we didnt kill them, automobiles, disease or starvation would.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Maybe its just me. But I don't know anyone that hunts for a thrill kill. I must be lucky because all the hunters I know (or would have anything to do with) eat what they kill.

Who actually hunts with a pistol. Come on. Just silly.....

I would very much like to try boar. I am kind of confused as to what is boar as compared to feral pig?? Free range pig?
A boar is just a wild pig. A feral pig is a formerly domesticated pig, or the descendent of one gone wild. Domesticated pigs came from wild boars.
Also, peope hunt with pistols for the same reason some people use bows instead of rifles or fly rods instead of spinning rods, or for that matter, singlespeeds instead of geared bikes. That is, to make sport of something that's become a little too easy or mundane.

Apr 19, 2007
This is only partially correct.

Wild or Russian boar are very different than the feral pigs or the domesticated kind. Wild meat is very lean to the point that it won't make much grease when it is fried. We add regular meat or oil to ours. My brother goes on a hunt every year so we eat Russian Boar often. It has a sharper, earthier taste, and doesn't soak through paper towels due to the grease.

The domesticated kind have been bred for a higher fat content to up the weight when they go to market to sell. They get minimal exercise and have a bland taste as a rule.

Farm hogs did come from their wild ancestors, but a feral hampshire pig is as close to a russian boar as a poodle is to a wolf in yellowstone.

Pistol hunting has it's place, but it should be done ethically. Shooting an animal repeatedly and not killing it clean is not ethical, and it's not very sporting. However, that goes for archery, riflery, and other forms of hunting too. Acquire the ability to shoot accurately under stress with your chosen implement, or stay home. Half-a$$ hunters with poor aim and four wheelers give us all a bad name.