Quantcast

Wow… I felt great!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Have not posted a Ride Report in a while, so I figured it’s about time I do (even if the ride was mellow). First ride with my new camera, nothing fancy – just a little pocket sized Casio.

I had to replace my other camera after I dropped it while trying to take a picture of a wood duck in the backyard while talking on the phone and opening a door quickly yet quietly (as to not scare away said duck).

I got one shot through the glass before I dropped the camera…

Oh well… onto biking!

First off, I replaced my beloved Soul Cycle Titan Frame with… a new one! Why? Because they were blowing out the ’06 and I heard that they were lighter than my ’04. So I built it up with some new parts and some old parts (see custom title), and I was able to drop 5lbs.

I can probably still drop some more… but realistically I beat on my rides so that would be foolish.

So off we go – got an early start. It was VERY cold out; we even saw some frost (that comment is for splat).

The ride starts with a super steep section of fire road, but then mellows out… just after the steep I stopped and took off my jacket since I had warmed up. Darkstar and –BB- were close behind me.

These two usually kick my butt. –BB- I can keep within visual distance when he has his MKIII (when he brings the 7point7 we are usually about even), but Darkstar usually has time for a nap before I get to the top!

So this surprised me… I actually caught them and passed them. In fact I had enough time to stop and take more pictures.

Then it was onto a side trail for some fun stuff. First a little drop/ roller. DS and I took the right side of the picture (you can see our tire tracks). –BB- looked at it, and took the left.

Damn, missed... I'm not used to the timing on the new camrea yet.

Then it’s onto the tight steep chutes:

DS smoked us on those, I wrecked higher up and –BB- got a flat.

At the bottom is a fallen tree that has created a nice natural drop. This picture makes it look bigger than it is… which is why I posted it.

After that it’s time to climb back up, and as I said – I was feeling great and actually was able to beat those two to the top… by a decent margin too!

From here it was time to drop back down to the road, just a nice quick Saturday morning ride…

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Nice seat post extension ;) How do you like climbing with that titan? I notice you have a significantly longer stem than I do. I bet that helps. Mine does pretty well if I drop the travel in the fork but I still end up doing a lot of wheelies.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Hey Slugman, what area is that? It looks like it would make for a fun cruise over that way some weekend. I've yet to get over to SoCal for any riding (unmotorized).
I'm in Orange County - there are a TON of fun trails around here...

Nice seat post extension ;) How do you like climbing with that titan? I notice you have a significantly longer stem than I do. I bet that helps. Mine does pretty well if I drop the travel in the fork but I still end up doing a lot of wheelies.
I'm not that great of a climber, I kinda do it for the downhills... but since there is a TON of climbing to do out here I've tried to reach a compramise. For me and my abilities, it's the perfect bike.

Yeah that post is typically at the limit for climbing... and I drop it almost all the way back down for the descent.

I used to have a much shorter stem on my '04 and had to be careful while climbing on the steep sections. With the longer stem it's much more stable; I've even made a few short climbs with the fork in the long travel position. It took some getting used to on the downs/technical stuff, but I really like it.

The '04:

The '06

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Hey, Now we have the same frame again! I'm slowly building mine up since I can't use it yet.

BTW Boomer, I was upset that FOX killed you off on Prison Break!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cool report! I have some riding buddies who almost always kick my butt, but every now and then I'll have a good day and leave 'em in the dust. Always feels great!

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
When did you get a hardtail ?
In theory I've been riding a hardtail since I tore my ACL(of course that was only for about a half dozen rides or so.) It was my old '95 GT Ricochet, the one I rode last(first) time I was at Whitehall with you. I don't want to be on a boingy bike while I'm rehabbing the knee and the GT is just too XC and I feel like I'll flip over the front. So Slugman told me about Soul Cycles blowin out their Titans so I bought one. Since I built the bullit with all brandy new parts, I still have some pretty good components from on my old Iron Horse that will find their way to the titan.

Now I just need to find the motivation to strip the IH and build the Titan.

Plus now I can tell the Silver Turtle, "I did that on my hardtail!"

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Medium, and on top of that it's a 2001 which I believe is different from your 1999, unless you're thinking of another frame.

What, no comments on my previous post, Haywire?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Medium, and on top of that it's a 2001 which I believe is different from your 1999, unless you're thinking of another frame.

What, no comments on my previous post, Haywire?
Hmmmm...... can't be THAT different. I'll email ya later on this week.

I don't watch that show... but it still made me chuckle.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Nice shots...looks a bit like the Ladder route. A couple buddies and I will be starting at Peter's and will probably hit Chutes afterwards.