Quantcast

WOW - Did I get lucky

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I had a lunch ride yesterday, so my bike was on the car. Drove home from work just like any other day, but was pretty absorbed in some stuff and wasn't thinking about much else. (anyone see where this is going?) :help: So, I pulled into the driveway and right into the garage. :eek: F*F*F*F* The rack popped off the car and put a small dent on the top of the car and tried to rip off the trim above one door. The bike survived ! ! ! ! ! I looked over all the welds and the fork/dropouts were fine. I threw the front wheel on and rode it around a bit and it seemed fine. The tray the bike was on didn't bend either. I have not put the rack back on the car, so I'll find out tonight if I messed something up there but a visual inspection didn't show me anything. WHEW!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
robdamanii said:
This is one of the only reasons that I don't want a roof mount.

Although that damn bike rack does obscure my rearward vision and that bugs me.
That is why I take the wheels off and put my bike in the back seat of my car. Granted it only works for one person, but its awesome.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
johnbryanpeters said:
How often do you imagine this happens in a year? Must be hundreds or thousands of times.
Most likely. So far this is only the second time that I've done it in 7 years of having my roof rack. The last time it was my trials bike and it goes into the garage on top of my car without any problems. :thumb:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Morryjg said:
I had a lunch ride yesterday, so my bike was on the car. Drove home from work just like any other day, but was pretty absorbed in some stuff and wasn't thinking about much else. (anyone see where this is going?) :help: So, I pulled into the driveway and right into the garage. :eek: F*F*F*F* The rack popped off the car and put a small dent on the top of the car and tried to rip off the trim above one door. The bike survived ! ! ! ! ! I looked over all the welds and the fork/dropouts were fine. I threw the front wheel on and rode it around a bit and it seemed fine. The tray the bike was on didn't bend either. I have not put the rack back on the car, so I'll find out tonight if I messed something up there but a visual inspection didn't show me anything. WHEW!
I did the exact same thing last year except my bike was hanging from the carport by the seat. Not a scratch on the bike.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There are to many cars in front of the garage for my car ever to make it in there. Besides that and the interior of a Corrado strewn about, a fridge, washer, two motorcycle projects(brothers), crap I haven't unpacked, crap my brother and his wife haven't unpacked, an engine or two, a couple of spare dashes,....

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
when i was coming home from rafting in maine last week down I95 north of Augusta, we see this dude running across two lanes of highway! WTF??
as we get to him, he is retrieving his entire rack which somehow flew off his car and landed in the median. there were two bikes and a kayak on it which all looked to be in one piece. how this did not cause a 15 car pileup is beyond me.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Wumpus said:
I did the exact same thing last year except my bike was hanging from the carport by the seat. Not a scratch on the bike.
Hopefully, you got pictures of that. That's hilarious!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Every time MBC and I get home from an MTB ride, she says "Don't pull into the garage!" It annoys me, but the one day she does not say that, I will undoubtedly pull into the garage. :D

Glad to hear your bike/car/rack survived that, Morry!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
luken8r said:
when i was coming home from rafting in maine last week down I95 north of Augusta, we see this dude running across two lanes of highway! WTF??
as we get to him, he is retrieving his entire rack which somehow flew off his car and landed in the median. there were two bikes and a kayak on it which all looked to be in one piece. how this did not cause a 15 car pileup is beyond me.
:stupid:

He's lucky he isn't dead with the speed a lot of people are driving on I95 in Maine these days.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I Are Baboon said:
Every time MBC and I get home from an MTB ride, she says "Don't pull into the garage!" It annoys me, but the one day she does not say that, I will undoubtedly pull into the garage. :D

Glad to hear your bike/car/rack survived that, Morry!
If you got a DH bike you wouldnt' have to worry. ;)

:stupid:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
People park in their garages? Why? I thought garages were for storing lawnmowers and stuff and keeping other junk that doesn't belong inside the house. Not cars.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
robdamanii said:

thats why i never got a roof rack either. as far as the rear rack blocking your view.... you just need to drive faster than everyone and then you will never have to look behind you

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
luken8r said:

My look road bike flew off the bike rack on the interstate like a feather. Never found it. Maybe it would have stayed if it was steel :nuts:

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
If your garage door was of the automatic clicker type, I would get in the habit of taking the remote clicker off of the visor as part of the bike loading routine.

"Bike on, check. Garage door opener moved to an inaccessible place inside the car, check. Game on!"

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:

yeah and with a rear rack I worry more about the people parking behind me than myself ripping my own rack off.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
robdamanii said:
I really like the idea of the roof rack, and since I don't yet have a garage, I think I'd be safe. Perhaps I'll just build my garage around the bike rack when I actually build it.
:thumb: I would love to have a tall garage door that would allow me to do that. Of course, I drive a Honda Civic so it wouldn't have to be THAT tall anyway.

vtcyclist

Chimp
Feb 5, 2004
Planet Vermont
We should all drive 13mpg Ford Econoline Vans. The bikes and wheels and gear and food and...well you get the idea, fit inside and can be locked. It is out of the weather etc. The Van is just big, bulky and irresponsible as far as gas mileage.

I lost a front wheel off my roof rack last month. I-89 though New Hampshire. I must have neglected (euphimism for "forgot") to tighten the skewer. Anyhow, I heard this soft thump as the wheel rolled across the trunk and looked into my rear view mirror to see the wheel hit the road, bounce high, bounce again and again, then roll for quite a long distance. As the wheel slowed from 80 mph to a stop it rolled toward the guard rail and leaned itself up against the rail. Nothing touched the ground except the tire. The tire/wheel were unscathed. Good karma pays off again, eh?