Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
As some of you know Im looking for my first MTB, and I was trying to decide between AM and DH.

Well today I tried out a friend's friend's DH bike, AND WOW. That was the most fun Ive had since I raced motocross.

I now want a DH bike.

So I had to make another thread to help decide what DH bike to get now.

My main questions are:

Are they Reliable?
Will a large be big enough for a 6'3 me?
Would you recommend one?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Haha yeah.

Its just that the Blindsides are sold out all over and most places arent getting their next shipments until September.

Alright, thats good to hear.
Guess what?
Trek, Giant and Specialized are all sold out of 2010 bikes too. No BS, my shop carries all three brands.

Are DH bikes reliable?
You can reliably count on a regularly ridden DH bike to need a lot of maintenance. Derailers and hangers take a beating, wheels too, and they mow through tires and brake pads. Suspension also needs regular maint. as well. Anyone who rides DH regularly is a good wrench or pays a good wrench.

A large in any of those brands will fit you fine. DH fit leans on the compact side I know some 6'+ folks who still prefer mediums.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
Hmm, thats no good. I dont know what Ill do it theyre all sold out, I might go crazy.

Also, I plan on getting some decent tools and learning all the proper maintenance.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
You're looking at getting one of those 3 bikes for your FIRST mtn bike? I remember when a Specialized Hardrock was my first MTB! :rofl: But for real, please reconsider. Owning a DH bike as your only bike is a bad idea, especially seeing that you live in Utah. You have epic mountains to explore (aka ride UP and THEN ride down). Think about something like a Nomad or an SX Trail instead of a full on DH rig. Just my opinion.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
You're looking at getting one of those 3 bikes for your FIRST mtn bike? I remember when a Specialized Hardrock was my first MTB! :rofl: But for real, please reconsider. Owning a DH bike as your only bike is a bad idea, especially seeing that you live in Utah. You have epic mountains to explore (aka ride UP and THEN ride down). Think about something like a Nomad or an SX Trail instead of a full on DH rig. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I guess a bike that could pedal well would be better. But I really want at least 7" of travel in the rear.

I guess another option would be back to my original plan of a SC Bullit. It may not pedal as well as the Nomad, but Im sure it would be alright. and its only $1200 for the frame so that would leave $3000 for some good components.

Did you talk to transition I'm fairly sure they are about to get a load of new blindsides. Just from looking at the blog.
No, I talked to DropNZone and they wont get any more until September and thats where I wanted to order from.

Ill look into other places though because the Blindside does seem likea sick bike and it would be ~$4100 with a BoXXer Team.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
If you're even considering pedaling it and trail riding with it, I wouldn't get a dh bike. Maybe a Trek Scratch or Giant Faith with a Fox 180... it would still be a pita on some trail stuff but very capable on the way down. Honestly tho, I have a Session 88 and would have a hard time giving it up it's such a great bike. I'd prolly try to get it down to 35 lbs and just suffer with it if I didn't have my trail bike.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
This guy is totally on to it. Personnally I have a FR bike that is my do it all bike. I brought it when I didn't know heaps about big travel MTB's. I was really lucky that the shop pointed me in the right direction. It is an '08 IH 7pt with upgrades and I love it :) . The main mods are a lighter wheel set, lighter forks and cranks - 16.8kg ( 37lb )now .From what I've read I really think a FR rig would be a good option for you.

HTH

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Did you call Urban Downfall and Skyline to see if they had anything in stock? I know Dropinzone is a good shop, it's it's very nice to have a local dealer to go back to if you have any issues. Unless you're doing exclusively lift served and shuttles, you'll have a hell of a time in the Wasatch with a big bike as your only ride. The Covert is insane, it's a fantastic compromise if you have to pedal at all. Blindside will make a great lift bike, but even if you get the new one, you're probably looking at a bike you don't want to ride uphill for an hour. I know I mentioned the ASR7 in another area, but have you gone to Go Ride yet?

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Yeah, I guess a bike that could pedal well would be better. But I really want at least 7" of travel in the rear.
Let me say for the majority of riding you will probably do, you won't need more than 6" of travel. As a first bike, find something that can do literally EVERYTHING. And look used before new, you can find some really dialed bikes in the classifieds here that would probably save you over a grand. There are even 3 SX trails in the first two pages. Spend less, see if you really enjoy the sport, then use the money you save to upgrade what you need or even buy yourself a second bike! :thumb:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Seriously dude...buy this:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-15096/

Save a couple grand, develop skills, buy a new DH bike next year. Full-on DH rigs aren't ideal for Utah as your only bike, at least with the current state of lift-served XC singletrack. Most rides with good DH require some climbing, excluding Bruce's, and DV is hacked all to hell this year - and the good rides don't really require a full-on race bike (or can be a huge detriment, see: Moose). An aggressive, long-travel, DH-leaning AM bike (or "mini-DH", slopestyle, whatever) will see a lot more use than a strict DH bike.

Not only that, but I know in past threads you were talking about getting more fit - riding nothing but DH won't really improve your physiological fitness like climbing up hills will.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

Save a couple grand, develop skills, buy a new DH bike next year. Full-on DH rigs aren't ideal for Utah as your only bike, at least with the current state of lift-served XC singletrack. Most rides with good DH require some climbing, excluding Bruce's, and DV is hacked all to hell this year - and the good rides don't really require a full-on race bike (or can be a huge detriment, see: Moose). An aggressive, long-travel, DH-leaning AM bike (or "mini-DH", slopestyle, whatever) will see a lot more use than a strict DH bike.

Not only that, but I know in past threads you were talking about getting more fit - riding nothing but DH won't really improve your physiological fitness like climbing up hills will.
Sounds like pretty good advice.

You'll be able to hit plenty of terrain on it, and get to know what kind of riding you prefer. If anything, it'll make you a better rider before you leap right onto a "big" bike.

Of course, it isn't brand new, so you won't be able to just dump it off at the shop for quick free tune ups, but it looks like the spec it comes with would be worth it.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
Yeah, I guess Ive decided against a purebred DH bike, but Im kinda looking back at my original bike, but upping the ante.

I know its a single pivot, and not the easiest to pedal, but Im kinda looking at the SC Bullit again.

I could get the frame with a Vivid 5.1 for $1400, and then get these components:

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Yeah, I guess Ive decided against a purebred DH bike, but Im kinda looking back at my original bike, but upping the ante.
I know its a single pivot, and not the easiest to pedal, but Im kinda looking at the SC Bullit again.I could get the frame with a Vivid 5.1 for $1400, and then get these components:
That would be a pretty decent build on a pretty decent frame, the SX trail that Blue posted would be more bike for less money though. Seriously, buy used.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

I'm with Blue. I ride just one bike. I have a Kona Coilair that i ride at "I" street once in a while, then at Deer Valley and Sundance here and there for DH, and during the week for XC. I had a full on DH bike before, but i sold it because the DH scene in Utah is a little behind the times compared to some of the other states. I went to DV yesterday and actually missed it though. Pretty bumpy here and there. But seriously, I don't get as much time to ride DH as I'd like to, so i just have an AM bike for everything. I just pull the gravity dropper off when i go to ride some DH and i switch to my DH wheels and tires.
You can get away with a good AM bike around here, especially if you aren't trying to be faster than the local pros. Utah definitely has tons of fast riders pro and non.

Oh yeah, there are a ton of nice bikes that would work on KSL. There was a nice Cannondale MX that someone has on there for a really good deal. Couple of ROcky MOuntains and a few Ellsworths in Large that are really good deals.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't see that '08 SX Trail being as good on downhills/drops/big jumps as a Bullit. I have a DHX Air on my Bullit and flip the ProPedal lever for long climbs and it is firm and efficient. I do long climb/descent heavy XC rides on one.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I agree, get something that is versatile.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't see that '08 SX Trail being as good on downhills/drops/big jumps as a Bullit. I have a DHX Air on my Bullit and flip the ProPedal lever for long climbs and it is firm and efficient. I do long climb/descent heavy XC rides on one.
Why? The SX Trail is lower, slacker, longer, and has only 10mm less travel. Aside from the 135mm rear end, I'd say you've got no idea what you're talking about and just whoring a bike you own.

That said, it seems junior's hell-bent on dumping a wad of cash on a fancy new bike. Whatever, keeps the bike industry rolling.

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
I went through the same dilemma. 5 years ago i got into mountain biking because i had no time for motocross. I bought a Specialized bighit. It was a great bike, but after 6 months thought about getting something light and went with an Enduro 2005 model. After 6 months on that i decided 130mm was not enough. I should have stuck with my bighit and upped the travel. So parted out both bikes and got the newer version enduro. That is a great bike. After 1 1/2 years I obtained a shock from an sx trail and made it into a mini dh rig with a totem up front. I pounded that frame and loved it. Had to replace the chainstays after 2.5 years. In April I bought the Transition TR450. I have my totem up front, a dual ring Saint crank and climb 98% of the time. I live in SoCal so we have great trails to ride all year. It sucks to climb a dh rig but to me it is worth it and great training for exercise. The lesson is if you like bombing trails and like dh just do it right the first time and save yourself time and $$$. But the SX trail is a worthy gravity bike. I will be posting a review of my Transition TR450 with pics soon.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
Yeah, I really want a DH bike, but Im not sure if it's the wisest choice

Im really liking the idea of the Bullit with Totem and Vivid + good components, but it still wont be the best peddling bike.

The Blindside still is on the back of my mind though.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
I really dont want to buy used. I know I could get a better deal probably, but Ive just never been a fan of buying used.

Do you guys thin the Bullit would pedal better than a DH bike?
Because theres no real point in getting it if it wont pedal better than a Demo 8

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If you're looking for an AM bike, nothing is going to pedal like an XC racer. It'll just be good for everything, but not excellent at anything.

If it were me, I'd still look at used stuff. Some people get into the sport and buy something spendy without even researching it. They figure "oh, i want to hit jumps and stuff and things." But when they get their DH bike and find out that it really WILL NOT go up hills worth a sh!t, they end up selling it for cheap as hell so they can get something that WILL go up hills. Happens in Utah all the time. If you buy used, you could probably find two bikes with low mileage on them for the price of a brand new bike you're looking at. You don't want to be another one of those people that gets something expensive without really knowing what they want, do you?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I really dont want to buy used. I know I could get a better deal probably, but Ive just never been a fan of buying used.

Do you guys thin the Bullit would pedal better than a DH bike?
Because theres no real point in getting it if it wont pedal better than a Demo 8
If you're stuck on the Bullit and buying brand new, the Yeti AS-R 7 has very similar geo/suspension design, and it looks like you can pick up one up locally complete with a comparable part spec as your Bullit from Go-Ride. Buying local complete is definitely a huge perk if you're paying full retail for a bike, IMO.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you're stuck on the Bullit and buying brand new, the Yeti AS-R 7 has very similar geo/suspension design, and it looks like you can pick up one up locally complete with a comparable part spec as your Bullit from Go-Ride. Buying local complete is definitely a huge perk if you're paying full retail for a bike, IMO.
This is true. I bought a bike (new) near where I used to work. Now I work elsewhere, and now I wish I'd bought closer to where I live. Dropping the bike off for a quick wheel truing, or brake bleed, whatever is often free at the shop where you buy the bike.

Otherwise, if you do buy new from somewhere nearby, you don't get the tuning perks of new, nor the "deal" of buying used.

I guess you'll be happy either way, so just go out and get one already!@

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
The Yeti 7 is actually the bike I really really want, but it has a warranty weight of 250lbs(which scares me), and Ive heard that 160mm forks arent the best for bigger guys. So I want to get a 180mm for for it, so Id have to do a build and Im not sure if Id fit into my budget.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
has the canfield brother´s can-diggle been mentioned yet? if not it might be worth a look, and if i´m not mistaken chris had some luckys for grabs a month ago.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Get the SX. I don't think I've ever met anyone who owned one and didn't like it. It's a tough bike that can do anything. Definitely a perfect first rig that you will ride for years to come.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I think that a great option for you would be the Banshee Spitfire.
It is a 7in (ish) bike that will pedal very well and can also be DH'd.

I have a Ironhorse 7pt (almost the same exact bike) and it ROCKS. I have a totem up front (190mm) and 7in of travel in back... Can ride almost ANY DH trail on it and also pedal up almost anything. I may be a bit slower on the climbs than my 5in travel buddies, but heck.. I can still make it up and that is all that counts.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
Okay, so Im back to the Scythe kinda. I realized that I could do a really good build for ~$4500 and get 10% off.

So Id get the Scythe in large.

And:

But I also might go with the Rune or Covert because they would be better pedalers that could handle some mild dh.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Dude, you've changed bike set ups like fifteen times since you've joined the forum. You don't want a Boxxer on a bike that you plan on riding all mountain on. You've never ridden a mtn bike before, so anything is going to work. Just buy a used bike and shred it.