Quantcast

Wow, this guy is trying REALLY hard to scam me ;)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I put in a REALLY lowball bid on a canon EOS 5D on Ebay on the off chance I won it, and the auction closed at over 3 times the price.

I just got this email:

Hi there,

I'm the owner of the item that you've recently bided on eBay through the eBay system, Item title : Canon EOS 5D 12.8 Megapixel ,Item number: 160014097041.If you are still interested in this item and want to buy it at the last bid price( US $815.00 ) that you've made on my auction please reply to this cezar_crow@yahoo.com

Thank you and i will wait your answer.
I knew he was scamming me, so I emailed him back:

I am very interested in this item. Please let me know if you still have it and will offer it to me for my last highest bid of $815.

Thank you!
I get another email from him, almost immediately:

Hello,

If you are interested in buying I need to know your full name and address and I will contact ebay and inform them about this transaction. As soon as I have this information I will start the official procedure and eBay will guide us through the rest of the transaction process. I assure you this is totally safe and we will be both covered if something happens (not my case). If you have other questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
To which I replied:

I do have one more question, why did you not contact me through ebay, and why do you need my full name and address?
And I thought that would be the end of it. Then I recieved an email that looked very professional from Ebay that was a second chance offer. It didn't show up in my Ebay messages either. I then decided to ignore it, but he sent this from a DIFFERENT email address:

Dear Sir,
I have begin this second chance offer because the winner of my auction didn't respond to my email. You can buy now the Item: Canon EOS 5D 12.8 Megapixel,Item number:( 160014097041 ) at your bid price (US $815.00). There are a lots of bidders who bid on the auction from fun and I hope you are serious and we can make a clear deal. Now for the start I will explain you some steps for finish this transaction.The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and policy regarding to this second chance offer-to start the official transaction . If you are interested i will wait your reply asap.
Thank you!
How should I mess with this guy? I'm gonna try to get him to send me his paypal address so I can report it, but I want to do somthing more :)

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
tell him that you'll buy the camera if he sends you a picture with him dressed in a full santa costume next to a page with his IP address and social security number written on it.

just to make sure he's not trying to scam you.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
be careful or You'll be labeled an ebay vigilante. not that it's a bad thing.

What I do is ask for a certain pic of the item. i.e. sideways with a left hand holding it. If they don't produce report them.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
ViciousDHer said:
be careful or You'll be labeled an ebay vigilante. not that it's a bad thing.

What I do is ask for a certain pic of the item. i.e. sideways with a left hand holding it. If they don't produce report them.

How do I report them if it's not through ebay?

He is what he sent me this morning (from the original email address)

Hello!

I start this SECOND CHANCE OFFER ,because the winning bidder in my auction fails
to buy the item !
In the unfortunate event if i have an Unpaid Item, i can send a Second
Chance Offer to any one of my non-winning bidders to try to complete my sale !
So if u are interested , the price is your bid price including shipping and u have to send me your details ( FULL NAME , FULL ADDRESS ) and I`ll start a secure transaction trough ebay , PROTECTED BY SquareTrade !
If you need item description , please go to my auction and look at full
description .
Also i can tell you that the item is in perfect conditions !

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
--Just play it safe and only buy using ebay and paypal. I have spent thousands of dollars on ebay without any big problems. Only buy from sellers with near perfect feedback.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
tell him you have a friend by him, and that he'll stop by and check it out..if he says okay, cry..

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
habitatxskate said:
tell him you have a friend by him, and that he'll stop by and check it out..if he says okay, cry..

I just emailed him back and asked him that.

The thing that gets me is that he keeps using different email addresses!

Here are the latest updates from a DIFFERENT email address

The deal will go strictly according to ebay's rules and policy regarding to this second chance offer- to start the official transaction, I need to know your full name, address and your ebay user name. I'll forward your details to a third party: eBay Square Trade, if it is all right they will contact you via email with all the instructions regarding payment! I have a lot of money in my Square Trade account for protection of my buyers so in the case that you are not satisfied with the item you will get a full refund . In the email from eBay Square Trade you'll see the protection that you have in this transaction. Thank you ,
To this I replied:

I see from the listing you are from Long Island, I have many friends and some family there. Can they stop by and check out the camera for me before I send you the money?

Thanks!