Quantcast

Wow, this is cool, I just rigged a dual monitor on my computer :)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
This should make video editing a bit easier :D

Its cool, I can have RM on one screen, and Winamp on another. Or my paper for class on one screen, and my research on the other. I'm diggin it :thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mtnbkr4235 said:
How'd you get that setp? I'd like to do the same thing.

I used Windows XP's dual monitor feature.

All you need is two video cards, and Bill Gates does the rest. Somthing that actually works right :)

It helps to have a good friend who is a Computer Science Grad student that has random video cards lying around :thumb:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
do the video cards have to be of similar quality and such? I have an extra comp sitting around and coul use the monitor and video card from it but its fairly old at about Windows 98 but I have Xp on my current machine.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
or use one monitor, set resolution as high as possible, and wear some glasses

You certainly get my vote for originality.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
mtnbkr4235 said:
do the video cards have to be of similar quality and such? I have an extra comp sitting around and coul use the monitor and video card from it but its fairly old at about Windows 98 but I have Xp on my current machine.
It should work, just make sure one of the video cards is PCI.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yep, it will work with any video card configuration, and will also work in Windows 2000. On my comp, I have an AGP card and a PCI card. It'll work fine I tell ya :)

Really big stinkin monitors are expensive! Free monitors and video cards are...... well.... FREE!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
as for the window 2000 person you should because, NT, 2000, and XP share much of the same source code. the different operating system really just have different applications

2000 = server application
NT = network application
XP = end user application (this is most of us)

the systems will do each others job but each one is optimized for one task

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mtnbkr4235 said:
Where do you put the 2nd video card? Also where do you plug in the second monitor?

And how does it know which monitor your mouse is moving in? lol
a free PCI slot, power strip, you can set up the monitors logically, so that you can move the mouse from one screen to the next by going "off of the screen", off of the edge between the two

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mtnbkr4235 said:
Where do you put the 2nd video card? Also where do you plug in the second monitor?

And how does it know which monitor your mouse is moving in? lol
you put the second video card in a PCI slot, and then plug the second monitor into it :)

You put the two monitors next to each other, and then the mouse moves between them. When you move the mouse off the right side of the first monitor, it comes in on the left side of the second monitor.

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Most of todays newer video cards come with dual monitor support and connections built in, so you do not need two video cards.
Most dual monitor setups today have a single card.

Of course with new PCI Express MOBOS and cards out now, this is all changing. You can still do the above, but now people are bridging two video cards together for performance. 2x 256MB cards bridged = 512MB card.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
greenreese said:
Could you run a whole fleet of monitors. Like four in a box configuration?

-dAn
should be no problem, there are commercial outfits that will sell you 3-monitors-wide turnkey setups so it's definitely possible. with dual-head cards like my radeon 9000 you can get lots of monitors hooked up easily.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Toshi said:
should be no problem, there are commercial outfits that will sell you 3-monitors-wide turnkey setups so it's definitely possible. with dual-head cards like my radeon 9000 you can get lots of monitors hooked up easily.

Cool. I might have to try and put two of them together.

-dAn

Ive run up to 3 monitors on a windows system... with NT the cards had to be the same but since 2000 youve been able to mix and match. Dual head cards make things much simpler but you may lose some performance since the one card has to carry the load of both monitors.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
greenreese said:
Could you run a whole fleet of monitors. Like four in a box configuration?

-dAn
Theoretically, however many PCI slots you have plus however many AGP slots you have, you could have that many monitors. Say, on my computer, I have 6 PCI slots, and one AGP slot. So I could theoretically have 7 monitors, unless, I got some dual cards, and then could have up to 14 :eek: I have no idea why you would want 14 monitors, but, I guess it could be done.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
BigMike said:
Theoretically, however many PCI slots you have plus however many AGP slots you have, you could have that many monitors. Say, on my computer, I have 6 PCI slots, and one AGP slot. So I could theoretically have 7 monitors, unless, I got some dual cards, and then could have up to 14 :eek: I have no idea why you would want 14 monitors, but, I guess it could be done.
According to Windows you can have up to 10 monitors, not sure how you'd do that. I looked at the XP Help/Support thing on my PC and it said that I have to plug the video adapter into the video slot on the PCI card? Whats this adapter thing?

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
So would you be able to have this setup? A chair in the middle mounted to the ground with no wheels, with a computer under it. Then a circle of monitors around you that lets the mouse go all the way around and not stop at the last one? The keyboard and mouse would be wireless and on rails so you could spin in your chair and hold the mouse at the same time? I know one of you monkeys wants to do this.....

-dan

Attachments

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
greenreese said:
So would you be able to have this setup? A chair in the middle mounted to the ground with no wheels, with a computer under it. Then a circle of monitors around you that lets the mouse go all the way around and not stop at the last one? The keyboard and mouse would be wireless and on rails so you could spin in your chair and hold the mouse at the same time? I know one of you monkeys wants to do this.....

-dan

Yes, Yes I do!

I'm now starting a "BigMike's circular computer desk with lots of monitors" fund. PM me if you would like to contribute :D

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
while we are on this subject, I have an IBM T30 laptop running XP. Can I run the laptop's monitor and another monitor at the sametime in the configuration you guys are using?

So far I have only been able to do it so that the screen shows up on both monitors but they are the same view, I want the side by side view where you can have 2 different applications one each monitor.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been running dual 19" flat pannels for a while now, but recently I figured out how to rotate them and run them vertically - now I can have 4 app running and viewable at the same time. Makes multitasking waaaaay easier.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jmvar said:
while we are on this subject, I have an IBM T30 laptop running XP. Can I run the laptop's monitor and another monitor at the sametime in the configuration you guys are using?

So far I have only been able to do it so that the screen shows up on both monitors but they are the same view, I want the side by side view where you can have 2 different applications one each monitor.

Yes.

Go to the Display properties control panel. Click the "Settings" tab. There should be two blue boxes, one with a "1" in it, and one with a "2" in it. One is your laptop screen, and one is your monitor. If you dont know which is which, click on the "identify" button. Once you get that figured out, click the one that is the external monitor, and click the option "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." click apply, and you should only see your desktop background on the external monitor. Then you should be able to drag your mouse off the side of the screen and VIOLA!

(If that doesnt work, I dunno....I'd have to see it)