Quantcast

Wow

i rode TW on wednesday and did alot of jumping etc. and kept overshooting EVERYTHING!!!
after overshooting a few things on Split Rock (including the right side line over/ off the rock), and shuttling back to the top, i launched into the top rockgarden and landed my back wheel right on the tip of a good sized, pointed rock and heard a crack... i kept riding and the rest of the way down the trail and i heard some dragging/ crackling noise coming from my rear wheel.
it was dark, so i couldnt see if the tire was flat or what, but what i ended up finding out when i got home was that i had snapped my rear axle and cracked the outer part of the hub itself...

HOW THE HELL?!?!?

anyways, has anyone ever had this happen???, it was pretty gnarl when i saw the damage.

now i get to go spend $125 on my bike:banana: oh wait... :banghead:

the hub was getting old... but i never thought this would happen, it was an XTR. well, now that i think of it... it was an XTR.

overshooting was definitley because of speed, but i love my bike- Monster T and a Romic... the suspension can handle most overshoots, but as i found out- the components might not...
no rigid/road bike for me my friend:biggrin:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
the hub was getting old... but i never thought this would happen, it was an XTR. well, now that i think of it... it was an XTR.

overshooting was definitley because of speed, but i love my bike- Monster T and a Romic... the suspension can handle most overshoots, but as i found out- the components might not...
Ha. That's a Shimano hub for you...

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004

monsterT, dam must be a heavy bike, you don't see too many of those around anymore.

monsterT, dam must be a heavy bike, you don't see too many of those around anymore.
53 pounds with high gearing... its a friggin beast and with like 19 or 20 inches of BB height, it goes over anything...
its a b!tch to ride up anything whatsoever due to the weight and pedal bob up front... the romic is very sensitive to pedal bob and it feels like it depletes it in the rear.

its definitley a rig and i love it

once you get more into cornering you will start to understand the limitations of a 19" BB
ohohoh, i know PLENTY about my bikes limitations,
you guys are used to bikes with a very low center of gravity which to you feels very good, stable, and overall better around any corner... to me because i have adapted to a bike with an extremely high center of gravity, a bike with a low one just feels so foreign and i have a harder time trying to corner IT versus cornering my bike.
my riding style allows me to make a corner just as good as any guy on a different bike doing the same corner.

off-camber, berms, flat, and uphill corners do not affect me in any way on my bike. and i have seemed to prove that to anyone who rides with me and complains about MY bike even though theyre not the one riding it.