Quantcast

Wrench sizes

MA13_BK

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
I was wondering what wrench sizes are found on a bike. A pawn shop(I think its a pawn shop) is going out of business and I was thinking of snagging a few wrenches/tools. Also what other tools, besides allen keys, should I get.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
15 mm open ended wrench for pedals. Most everything else these days takes a special tool of some sort that I doubt a pawn shop will ever see.

A socket set or wrench set wouldn't hurt to have even if you don't need it for your bike chances are your car will.

Hunt carefully. Look for Craftsman brand, or snap-on that carry good warranties. Stay away from cheap Taiwanese / Chinese crap. You might think you're getting a good deal but you're really just buying garbage.

Have fun. I love pawnshops. Don't be afraid to haggle either. Profiting of other's misfortunes is probably bad karma, but hell a deal's a deal.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Park for bike specific tools. Craftsman if you don't make a living with your tools, Snap-on if you do. Snap-on will set you back a SERIOUS amount of cash, but you never have to buy the same tool twice unless you lose it. My buddy is a heavy truck mechanic and he has about $80,000 in tools.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
hex keys, screw drivers, adjustable crescent wrench, everything else is pretty much bike specific. For those tools, go with Park or Pedros whenever possbile.

Your hex keys are going to get a TON of use, so it's worth spending the money, IMO. I have a basic set of craftsman L-wrenches that are OK... but I miss my old t-handles. I'm holding out for these as I also really like the ball ends.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pedros stuff is every bit as quality as Park and some of it is cheaper so either brand will serve you well.

Jackson's pretty much got it - a nice set of hex keys are going to make your life a lot easier, and screw drivers are always necessary. I have two adjustable wrenches - a big one and a small one. Those can be supplanted by a full set of open end wrenches but I often grab for the adjustable wrench anyway so I don't have to figure out what size I need.

A set of diagonal cutters and needle nose pliers are both very useful tools. Please note, diagonal cutters are NOT used to cut cable housing, buy the cable housing cutter from Pedros - it'll be one of the best investments you ever make.

Some non-critical tools, but can be useful: If you can pick up a good hacksaw, that's useful for chopping seat posts and handle bars. A rubber mallet is a good tool to keep in the box. Nice sturdy, accurate metal ruler. Calipers can be useful but are not particularly necessary. Vice grips are good to have. A utility knife (box cutter) is important for any tool box.

Oh, and now that I'm thinking about it: a tool box. I bought a high quality Craftsman box that was on sale about 50% off, and it was one of the best things I've ever purchased.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Quo Fan is right..my friend's dad rebuilds engines and transmissions for all trucks and cars..and he has at least 100,000 in snap on tools..and my step mom's cousin has 10,000 in his garage..but quo fan is right..if you make a living off it, use your money and get the best..if not go inbetween, not mlike your life and more importantly, your families well being is at sake..when i ride dh resorts..i carry 2 tubes, a pump, pliers, 2 sets of allen keys(the lil tool piece made by park) chain breaker at times..a snipper..duct tape(A MUST, NO REALLY!) along wieth other random stuff..cell phone of course too.