Quantcast

Wrist brace for riding - recommendations?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a lingering weird injury to my wrist that just isn't going away. I've tried PT and I have a neoprene wrist supporter, but it's not enough. Anybody have a fav wrist brace that allows them to ride well but not feel pain afterwards? I see the super bionic brances and there are cheaper ones like TLD/shockdoctor.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I was quite happy with the TLD.
In the beginning or on really bad days i just added a layer of tape to my wrist for extra stability. Got me through a season of riding and the TLD brace is relatively comfortable. You can also crank it down real tight if you need to. Just be aware that they run really damn small in size because the thumb hole is rather small compared to the rest of the brace.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I broke a wrist a couple years back and recovery was very slow. I needed a brace that would be close to unnoticeable while riding but still provide support and the confidence to know I would survive a crash without dire consequences.
The allsport dynamics brace was the only one I could find that met these needs. It is expensive. It got me back on the bike and worked exceedingly well for me in my situation.
Worth consideration in my opinion.
http://motocrosswristbrace.com/index.php/shop/

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
can you provide some more details on the injury itself? when i got back into climbing a few years back i was having issues with my hands/wrists/forearms and after some googling i discovered i has having muscle imbalances. it was an easy fix once i realized the root cause.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Nearly broke the end off of my radius at the wrist with a vertical fissure as well. I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been with my pt after the cast came off. I had some lingering flexibility and soreness issues.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can you provide some more details on the injury itself? when i got back into climbing a few years back i was having issues with my hands/wrists/forearms and after some googling i discovered i has having muscle imbalances. it was an easy fix once i realized the root cause.
while I love the internet, I'm going to go with what my orthopedic surgeon told me I have, rather than self diagnosis. She said it's a sprain or partial tear on the ulnar side of the wrist. I'm not certain of the tendon that is the original cause of the pain, but it usually occurred when my wrist was flexed 90* or I tried to flex it and apply pressure. I believe that injury caused me to strain a tendon on the top of my wrist by compensating for it. Either way, protecting and supporting the wrist while riding will allow it to heal and not cause further injury, though at this point I should probably go back in for an MRI to make sure it's not a more significant injury. I just don't have time...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
while I love the internet, I'm going to go with what my orthopedic surgeon told me I have, rather than self diagnosis. She said it's a sprain or partial tear on the ulnar side of the wrist. I'm not certain of the tendon that is the original cause of the pain, but it usually occurred when my wrist was flexed 90* or I tried to flex it and apply pressure. I believe that injury caused me to strain a tendon on the top of my wrist by compensating for it. Either way, protecting and supporting the wrist while riding will allow it to heal and not cause further injury, though at this point I should probably go back in for an MRI to make sure it's not a more significant injury. I just don't have time...
What, are you afraid of the diagnosis Dr Internet would make?

Brace sounds like a good idea, but you probably need to be seen and get some recommendations for treatment / strength training.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Years ago I broke my radius in a couple places. After all was healed I tried riding with a brace but couldn't stand it as they were not designed for any real activity. I ended up using a wrist wrap which gave enough support, then found an old pair of fox gloves that had wrist wraps built-in.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Wrist injuries suck. I used some braces from 661 many years ago which looked a lot like the TLD/shock doctor. I found them odd, but at least I could ride.

I also found that the fat ass grips from Ergon worked almost as well as the brace. The GP1's, I believe.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm going to go with what my orthopedic surgeon told me I have
Was that based on an original MRI?
Do you mean you think there's a second newer injury apart from that?

My take on this stuff is always get the scan (and another if needed), it reduces the number of muppets making guesses about what they can't see. If you're doing all this other stuff (PT, internet research) I'm sure you can find a couple hours somewhere to at least know for sure what you're dealing with - especially if it's not improving with time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I didn't have an MRI originally done, as the doctor I saw flexed my wrist in a certain position, put pressure on a specific joint, and said "I think you have a minor tear and tendonitis as a result. You should do PT and a cortisone shot if it doesn't improve." So I did PT and when the tendinitis cleared, but still had pain, I did a cortisone shot. It seemed to improve but I was hauling some brush the other day and then went for a ride, and it seems to have gotten worse. My train of thought is that riding exacerbates the problem, so a proper brace will reduce the strain that it causes. If the current pain doesn't go away, I'll go back to the doctor for an MRI or xray and see if there's something else going on. Either way, I'm going to need a brace to support the healing process and allow me to continue to ride, so I'd love suggestions. Even if it's a wicked expensive robot brace, I can probably get insurance to pay for it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I was dealing with a non-healing wrist injury after one unplanned dismount. It would not heal for months so I got the TLD brace. Two weeks later, the pain was gone. A month later, it would not come back if I rode without the brace. I know your situation is likely different but even those inexpensive fuckers help.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Due to reoccuring problems with my wrist, which according to my doctor are simply weak to hyperextension, i´m in the market for a comfortable brace. I know i have a bad habit of overflexing my wrist during dh riding and my current TLD brace greatly enhances my riding ability and comfort. It is however rather unpleasant to wear for an extended period of time due to the extremely small thumb loop cutting off circulation around my thumb.
As i currently can get my hands on a Mobius X8 wrist brace for a discounted price i was looking for anyone with experience with one of those to share their experiences. I´m mainly looking for something that really locks my wrist in place with as little up and down movement as possible, while ideally still allowing for some lateral movement.
The Mobius looks promising, i´m just not sure if it is the right choice for me. So if anyone has experience with them, i´d greatly appreciate any information on how you liked them or if you feel they would provide what i´m looking for.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I just tape up like I'm fighting again...

Just find the position your hand will be and tape it on a similar position to allow bend...wrist braces I'm sure they work for most I just tape and strap up nowadays even for lifting...I avuluded and broke my left wrist in a strength competition on a clean...been giving me crap since so I tape up...

Just a thought....I tried a neoprene brace and I had a sharp pain in butt of hand felt like I was being stabbed on certain moves...went to tape.

I will say I hope it gets better wrist pain can be a real pain in the @$$...hope you find a brace and it irons itself out...

GOOD LUCK!!!

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Another vote for Allsport Dynamics. I had a break requiring surgery and used that brace for about 6 months to a year after recovery, depending on the activity. You can even get prescriptions on them if you work with a doctor and use their form online.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
to follow up,
I ended up with the TLD brace:

I found it to be supportive and comfortable even for all day riding. I think I would regularly remove the hand side strap on the uplift to return circulation, as it wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world. I used it for occasional trail rides, but the more I rode, the better my wrist felt, and eventually the issue has largely gone away. It's been about 3 years since I started this thread, so good news for me. Like many things, weight training and regular use combined with good rest was the ticket.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Due to reoccuring problems with my wrist, which according to my doctor are simply weak to hyperextension, i´m in the market for a comfortable brace. I know i have a bad habit of overflexing my wrist during dh riding and my current TLD brace greatly enhances my riding ability and comfort. It is however rather unpleasant to wear for an extended period of time due to the extremely small thumb loop cutting off circulation around my thumb.
As i currently can get my hands on a Mobius X8 wrist brace for a discounted price i was looking for anyone with experience with one of those to share their experiences. I´m mainly looking for something that really locks my wrist in place with as little up and down movement as possible, while ideally still allowing for some lateral movement.
The Mobius looks promising, i´m just not sure if it is the right choice for me. So if anyone has experience with them, i´d greatly appreciate any information on how you liked them or if you feel they would provide what i´m looking for.
I broke my scaphoid over the winter, and after it healed, I started riding with the Mobius brace per recommendation from the doc. It effectively limits hyperextension, and I really don’t even notice it while riding. You can adjust how much it restricts your wrist. The restriction is in both up/down and laterally, but it does have more restriction up/down.

Last edited: