Quantcast

WSJ reviews <$20 aussie shiraz

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and the results weren't good...

they pretty much panned most of the 50 wines they tried, but had praise for these:

Hill of Content $16.00
K Climicky & Son $15.49
Lindeman's bin 50 $4.99 (not a typo)
Kilaknoon "Killerman's Run' $18.50
Penfolds "Koonunga Hill" $9.99
Deakin Estate $5.49
Thorn-Clarke "Terra Barossa" $12.99
Trevor Jones 'Boots' $13.50

would have liked to know if they tasted any Wolf Blass; i think their wines are excellent value.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks for posting this btw. i'm actually going to use the wsj's advice next time i resume my amateur (thankfully) alcoholism when back in seattle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
3 Blind Moose? Anyone tried it. Rather tasty and inexpensive! I get it at BJs Liquor store for $6.99 a bottle and saw it in a local store for $10.99 a bottle.
I laughed at the name and the label in the store just the other day. I have a weakness for trying bottles of wine just because I like the label/name. Sometimes it turns out well, other times.. not :twitch:

But if you say it's good, I'll definitely give it a shot since I probably would have anyway :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I laughed at the name and the label in the store just the other day. I have a weakness for trying bottles of wine just because I like the label/name. Sometimes it turns out well, other times.. not :twitch:

But if you say it's good, I'll definitely give it a shot since I probably would have anyway :)
the article did a make a note that every animal-derived wine name they tried wasn't so good. ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, the WSJ column is very different from Wine Spectator, Parker, Decanter, etc...

do a blind taste test between say, a Kay Brothers shiraz and 'Dead Yellow Roo' and tell me there's not a difference. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
actually, the WSJ column is very different from Wine Spectator, Parker, Decanter, etc...

do a blind taste test between say, a Kay Brothers shiraz and 'Dead Yellow Roo' and tell me there's not a difference. :D
I don't do blind tests.

I taste and say :thumb: or :plthumbsdown:

Even if it's :plthumbsdown: I'll usually drink it, just not buy any more of it.