Quantcast

WTB Dual Duty questions...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by HGR Frucci
Anybody running these? Are they welded? Thanks in advance...
A friend of mine rides them. He has some kind of sponsorship with them though. They are definitely light but he usually ends up building about 5-10 a summer though. He destroys them regularly........using 15/14 double butted spokes. He argues that they can be bent back but I'm scared of them.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
That's what I anticipated...

I'm battling with the whole weight vs. durability issue. I had some 521's on order with Cambria and that deal got all hosed up, so I'm looking for an alternative. Since I'm not aware of any other strong/light rim other than the 521, I'm looking for a balance between width/weight/strength now.

Options include:

*Mag 30's (strong/durable, but really heavy)
*HED 45As (super wide and about 125g lighter than Mag 30's)
*WTB Laser Disc DH's (probably the best option, but the most expensive for me)

At one point, I was planning on running Singletracks, but haven't had the best of luck with them.

We'll see what happens.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's what I anticipated...

I'm battling with the whole weight vs. durability issue. I had some 521's on order with Cambria and that deal got all hosed up, so I'm looking for an alternative. Since I'm not aware of any other strong/light rim other than the 521, I'm looking for a balance between width/weight/strength now.

Options include:

*Mag 30's (strong/durable, but really heavy)
*HED 45As (super wide and about 125g lighter than Mag 30's)
*WTB Laser Disc DH's (probably the best option, but the most expensive for me)

At one point, I was planning on running Singletracks, but haven't had the best of luck with them.

We'll see what happens.
I can't comment on the other two but the 521s are much more durable than the Mag 30s. They seem to crack at the nipple eyelets pretty consistently.

Cambria is not the only place to get mavics. The 521s are worth looking for.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Originally posted by kidwoo
A friend of mine rides them. He has some kind of sponsorship with them though. They are definitely light but he usually ends up building about 5-10 a summer though. He destroys them regularly........using 15/14 double butted spokes. He argues that they can be bent back but I'm scared of them.
Hey the only reason Karl builds up so many is because of the endless supply he has. I only need to build up a new rear more than once a year... only because I ride Northstar. I think they work great.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by dhtahoe
Hey the only reason Karl builds up so many is because of the endless supply he has. I only need to build up a new rear more than once a year... only because I ride Northstar. I think they work great.
Yeah but what do you weigh these days.....98 or something?

Seriously though, haven't you heard Karl debate the merits of his bendable rims before? I haven't been riding DH since the dawn of the wheel like you guys, but I've never even put a 521 or 321 out of comission (yet).

He also builds them because he needs them. You've seen his post race roundness before. And he has an endless supply because he knows he's going to need it......not verse visa.

I also build my wheels with straight gauge spokes so that the rims shouldn't have a chance to bend so far that they stay that way........something else I was sure to mention.

They still scare me.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I ended up picking up 4 Laser Disc DH's today. At 625g and 36mm wide, they made more sense for me...got a good deal at Cambria. Check them out in "Hot Deals" for $59...

That's $15 cheaper than most other places.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I ended up picking up 4 Laser Disc DH's today. At 625g and 36mm wide, they made more sense for me...got a good deal at Cambria. Check them out in "Hot Deals" for $59...

That's $15 cheaper than most other places.
4? Aw come on, anything more than 2 is just asking for it.;)