Quantcast

WTB Laserdisc DH Rims?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have been for about 2 months. My riding consists of park, erbun (lots of drops to flat up to 6'), & some DH. I am also a lite weight so they may hold up better for me than a big dude.

anyways.....they have been great. I have broken 5 nipples (not at once) & never did it get out of true. They have been great so far, no dents or dings & they feel solid. Not light...but you might not give a $hit about weight.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I have a WTB laserDisc DH (620g) laced to a Profile hub as a rear wheel and I like em. There's a small dent, because I was riding with a very low tire pressure in rocky terrain with drops (my fault not the rim). The wide 36mm profile is perfect for my 2.2 to 2.5 Michelins and it's a lot easier to change tires compared to my previous Atomic Trailpimps.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just built up my second set. I think I did the rear wheel in 45 min, and I wasn't rushing. Something about them makes them build smoothly. I have 3 years on the first set and they are still ridable. I do lots of DH riding and they have alot of vertical feet at whistler. The wheel set outlasted my super8. I'm not sure what that says about the wheels or the frame. I can't compare them to the 321 because I've never owned a set. However, I have been really happy with them, hence I bought another set.

Pros:
Easy to change tires. I'm not sure if the size is perfect or what but I never need big steel DH tire levers and older tires I can change with my bare hands.

Reasonable weight.

Welded seam. You can see were they machine the weld on the inside. Very clean.

Stainless, double wall eyelets. Strong and you don't have to worry about losing a spoke in the rim while lacing.

Thay are pricey and hard to find. I think they are almost twice the price of a 321. If you do go with them, you won't be disappointed.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Originally posted by buildyourown
Thay are pricey and hard to find. I think they are almost twice the price of a 321. If you do go with them, you won't be disappointed.
Really? I though they were a cheaper alternative...hmm.

I'm on my 3rd season on a set, and besides some dents, they're tip-top. I've banged them of many a rock at Snowshoe and have very little in the way of damage to show for it. Also, I don't think I've ever trued them as long as I've had them.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
New 321 does not equal old 321

Old 321 is now EX729, and they retail for $95.

New 321 is OEM, and it's more similar to the 521s of old. Not sure what they retail for.

WTB Laserdisc DH can be had for $85 at speedgoat and other places. Not sure of retail.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by dante
New 321 does not equal old 321

Old 321 is now EX729, and they retail for $95.

New 321 is OEM, and it's more similar to the 521s of old. Not sure what they retail for.

WTB Laserdisc DH can be had for $85 at speedgoat and other places. Not sure of retail.
Got it, my mistake on the price. I just remembered seeing a 321 for $40 and thought that was really cheap. I never have fully understood mavic's line-up.