Quantcast

wtb: packable camera tripod

~mud~

Chimp
May 6, 2006
upstate NY
Looking for suggestions on a small, light packable tripod for my digital. I would expect a 6-18" version would suffice... mostly for getting level stable angles. I already have a large pricey unit for non-mtb so cheap works, too.

~mud

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
good luck man. Let me tell ya from experience though, tripod or no... setting up the cam, starting the timer, running back to the bike, and getting into a good position for the pic is a lot harder than it seems.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have 2 ultrapods that I use for remote flashes. Both are excellent and will work great for small compact digis. They cost about $15 from bhphoto.com depending on the model (there is a few).

~mud~

Chimp
May 6, 2006
upstate NY
jacksonpt said:
.. setting up the cam, starting the timer, running back to the bike, and getting into a good position for the pic is a lot harder than it seems.
I really don't bother much with that... unless someone cares to see pics of arms & legs flailing. I've always had better photo results when setting up properly, and the photo opportunity ratio climbs exponentially while on the trail.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ That is good advice!

I am looking for a small light tripod that collapsess to about 15" to fit inside my dakine pack for filming with a mini DV. I don't want to spend a lot, although I want it to be somewhat sturdy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
Welcome to the :monkey:... Just don't take anything you read here seriously :D

And take all advise with a grain of salt. An HUGE grain of salt.