Quantcast

WTF... Avid, Rockshox... SRAM?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
My lady just got my a pair of Codes for X-mas. Went to install them on my Boxxer WC... can't get the front caliper to mount right. The front brake came w/ a post mount and an IS mount. I'd assume since both Avid and Rockshox are SRAM subs, a pair of Avid brakes would come w/ a Boxxer mount? Was I wrong? Am I missing something? Or am I plain retarded and can't mount a brake? :imstupid::disgust1:
The caliper w/ the IS mount sits too close to the lowers so I can't get the rotor between the pads, and slightly too high so even if the rotor was lined w/ the pads they'd only contact about half the rotor. The post mount obviously won't work.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
How about a pic or two. Let's see what you're working with and how you're trying to mount it.
One shot is the gap between the adapter and the tabs when caliper is lined with the disc. One is how high the caliper will sit on the rotor if it would mount w/ the tabs. And the other is just the adapter.
There's no question on my current adapter, I know it's the wrong one. I was just thrown off and kind of disappointed I have to go buy a Boxxer specific adapter when the brake and the fork are from the same mother company. Seems redonkulas to me. :rant:

Edit... Oh, and I'm really bummed on the factory bleed on my rear brake. I can squeeze the lever down to my bar and still roll the bike back and forth. Not cool. So tomorrow before work I have to hit up my LBS for not only the Boxxer specific adapter, but an Avid bleed kit too.

Attachments

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I was just thrown off and kind of disappointed I have to go buy a Boxxer specific adapter when the brake and the fork are from the same mother company. Seems redonkulas to me. :rant:
I can understand the frustration, but you have to consider it from the perspective of the company too. Not every set of Codes they sell is going to be mounted to a Boxxer, a relatively small number probably. It costs them money to send the Boxxer specific adapter. If they can save a few cents per set by not including it, why wouldn't they.

Aman112

Chimp
Dec 28, 2006
You have to use avid brakes a bit before they stot doing what you described. I have a pair of juicy 5 and they did the exact same thing when i got them, but when i rode them a few times the feeling went away and they feel great

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
You have to use avid brakes a bit before they stot doing what you described. I have a pair of juicy 5 and they did the exact same thing when i got them, but when i rode them a few times the feeling went away and they feel great
What feeling? The feeling of riding with out a rear brake? It needs a bleed, plain and simple. I could be wrong though..... the pads may have yet to self adjust, but I pulled and pulled that lever over and over, nadda. Couldn't stop me... even going UP a hill.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I can understand the frustration, but you have to consider it from the perspective of the company too. Not every set of Codes they sell is going to be mounted to a Boxxer, a relatively small number probably. It costs them money to send the Boxxer specific adapter. If they can save a few cents per set by not including it, why wouldn't they.
Agreed, but either make the Boxxer mounts standard, or ship their own damn brakes with the specific adapter. Doesn't even Shimano include a Boxxer mount?

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
adjust the lever reach out, work the levers, ride around the block, adjust the levers back and then adjust the pad reach and that will prob. get you where you want them. 99% of the time the factory bleed is good. I felt the same before doing what I subscribed, and now they are perfect.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
My juicy five felt really bad when it came i just took out the rear wheel and squeezed the rear break a few times to move the pads in and was good to go.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well lets take a look at the boxxer history. its a really old fork line, i beleave the oldest and the longest running. when they first made the boxxer disc compatible there were not any standards available so they made one. it worked well, very well infact and that is the reason that they are still using it.

granted i don't think that is a good excuse for still using it. it should be a post mount for sure

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Get in your driveway and hose down your rotors.
Then hop on your bike, pull in both brakes and pedal around.
The noise will be horrible, but it will break in your brakes instantly.
A guy that rides for SRAM taught me this, and I swear it works.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
well lets take a look at the boxxer history. its a really old fork line, i beleave the oldest and the longest running. when they first made the boxxer disc compatible there were not any standards available so they made one. it worked well, very well infact and that is the reason that they are still using it.

granted i don't think that is a good excuse for still using it. it should be a post mount for sure
The Boxxer mount originates from when Rock Shox bought the rights to the AMP disc brake and sold it under their own name. The idea of the different mount was to enable you to use the same caliper on a DH bike with wider dropout spacing and larger rotor, as on an xc bike with standard dropout spacing and smaller rotor.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
The code doesn't come with the Boxxer adapter.

Why not reuse the adapter you had on there before :lighten:
Doesn't work, Shimano adapter. I'll goof with it some more but it didn't look promising when lining the holes up.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
The code doesn't come with the Boxxer adapter.

Why not reuse the adapter you had on there before :lighten:
Well wadda ya know... When I was grabbing my old Shimano adapter I used for the Saint/WC set up, I noticed another unused Shimano 203 adapter, this one much smaller. It looked right so I gave it a shot, and sure enough it fit. So I'm guessing what I'm now using is the normal Shimano IS mount for other forks, and what I was using for the old Saint/WC setup was the Shimano specific Boxxer adapter (if that exists). All I know at this point is I have 2 Shimano adapters that read 203 only, one works, the other don't. And I'm fine w/ that.:banana::banana:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Uh. it does work. Try harder :)

I've got one myself with a shimano adapter. Use the shimano adapter and the avid cps washers.
Uh, read my above post. It didn't. A different Shimano adapter did. I can take pics of the two if you still refuse to accept what I know is a fact..... :)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
You must've grabbed a regular IS/PM shimano adapter the first time and not a boxxer one.

Not sure. It works fine with a shimano boxxer adapter. glad it works now.

edit: take a picture if you want, but i'm 99.99999999% certain you'll be taking a picture of the shimano boxxer adapter.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
edit: take a picture if you want, but i'm 99.99999999% certain you'll be taking a picture of the shimano boxxer adapter.
Meh, it'd be useless. It works and that's what matters. Thanks for the help.
Now all I gotta do is trim the lines and re-bleed em...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
freddy use the saint adapter i gave you with the fork. same thing...

just call me next time. i can bleed your brakes sometime if you wish.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Uh, read my above post. It didn't. A different Shimano adapter did. I can take pics of the two if you still refuse to accept what I know is a fact..... :)
thats really really weird. i've just used that same saint adapter in the past for Codes. WEEIIIRRDDDD

edit. can i have your saints?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
freddy use the saint adapter i gave you with the fork. same thing...

just call me next time. i can bleed your brakes sometime if you wish.
That would rule. The in-laws are in town and I'm throttled at work lately but maybe late one night I can stop buy. I gotta trim these damn lines ASAP.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
thats really really weird. i've just used that same saint adapter in the past for Codes. WEEIIIRRDDDD

edit. can i have your saints?
I'm gonna use em on the DNA I'm bout to buy. 6in rotors though. Gonna be my MTX/DJ/do it all bike. Would be good for the night rides at UCSD.
PS, I just built a SS road bike and bought some lights. Road ride?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I'm gonna use em on the DNA I'm bout to buy. 6in rotors though. Gonna be my MTX/DJ/do it all bike. Would be good for the night rides at UCSD.
PS, I just built a SS road bike and bought some lights. Road ride?
i now own a 29er single speed. the DOC is gone. something new. pretty fun.
plus randomly found a more fun place to ride, right next to my house.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I was going to chime in a bit with, Have the LBS call up Sram for you, tell them you have new brakes that need bled, and they usually will have teh LBS take care of it and credit them for the repair, there CS is really great, Aside from certain one employee some of the monkeys here will remember. Either way loks like DHS has you set on the bleed, I have seen this a few times now with not only avid brakes, but hayes and shimano as well.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
i now own a 29er single speed. the DOC is gone. something new. pretty fun.
plus randomly found a more fun place to ride, right next to my house.
Nice. Well for now I'm only able to ride DH or road. But once I get the DNA together I'll be in business. I'll ring you up maybe tomorrow and see if I can make it over at night... sound good?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hey Ian, do you own a xc bike?

fred i'll have to find a light for you though. we don't have the demo's anymore