Quantcast

WTF do i put in my application?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
Since its summer and me being the responcable grown-up that i am, i decided to go on the job hunt.... my question is what kind of things do i put on my applications?
-work refrences? i havent had any other jobs
-hours available? its summer ill work all the hours i can.
-Position and sallary desired? once again ill take what i can get.
also what kind of things stand out to employers? anything special?

btw- im applying to papa murphys pizza and baskin robins right now, but more this weekend

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
If you have no previous job experience, and you're a student, put your GPA in there.

If you're just applying for food service related work, don't bother.

If you plan on applying for white collar type work, and you're a student, use extra-curricular activities in conjunction with your GPA as something to add in your application.

*back when I was young, I worked at hardee's, I thought it sucked. I quit in a day. I ended up getting a job at a local golf course. The job entailed driving and washing the golf carts; had slightly more than minimum wage[back in 1994 economy] + tips. There are other jobs for teens other than mundane work for food service, just look for them. But, whatever floats your boat.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
you can get a job if you know where to look. i'm 18, i work for the state of california as a student intern. i have a cubicle, state cell phone, ability to drive state cars, i schedule and run a brand spanking new auditorium. and go on business trips liek san fransisco in 2 weeks where we interview important people, like the state controller. beats mc donalds doesn't it?

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
dirtjumpP.1 said:
Since its summer and me being the responcable grown-up that i am, i decided to go on the job hunt.... my question is what kind of things do i put on my applications?

btw- im applying to papa murphys pizza and baskin robins right now, but more this weekend
You should talk to your all of your LBS and even the ones that aren't so local....though success for this is higher earlier in the year, more often then not you will find some rad shop owner who wants to take a yungun up under his wing and show him the way of bicycle mechanics...fun job, good pay(most of the time), and hell, you're around bikes all the time...only downfall is if you're a racer, it's tough to get weekends off.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dirtjumpP.1 said:

-work refrences? Don't sweat it if it's your first job. Maybe put a teacher as a ref that you know will say that you are responsible and dependable.
-hours available? Put that you are available any hours. Or that you are Flexable
-Position and sallary desired? "Negotiable"
also what kind of things stand out to employers? anything special? For food service and your first job be honest and personable. Show them your GPA or something else that makes you look responsible.

I once worked at Subway. The boss said he hired me because I had a nice smile and was friendly. Minimum wage employers know that you won't be sticking around and just want someone they can trust to serve the pizza with a smile and not rip them off. Tell them that you are a fast learner and work well with others and that you value punctuality. Sounds cheesy but it works.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dirtjumpP.1 said:
sounds good.... i have to get a food handler permit right? how hard is that to get
depends on the area. When I worked at subway I was 17 and in L.A. county... no food handler card. I worked at a KFC when I was 16 in San Diego county and I had to have one. As the prospective employer, they'll know.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i alreadly get sweet hook ups for pedros cousins, so i dont need to drop any names.
*end of napolean dynamite quotes and refrences*

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
When/if you get an interview, SMILE SMILE SMILE! I just got hired @ in-n-out. One of the hardest fast food places to get a job at, with or without experience ($9 an hour STARTING beotch!).

Put ALL of the extracurricular activities you're in. I had like 5-6 school clubs I was in, and a BUNCH of other stuff. Good luck, jobs are bitches to get.