Quantcast

Wtf Does That Mean?!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I work with freaking retards. In the last few minutes I have heard the phrases: "We're just covering our bases" and "It's like watching soup boil".

:mumble:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hate "It is what it is", meaning there is no interpretation to whatever incident which was discussed.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
stinkyboy said:
I work with freaking retards. In the last few minutes I have heard the phrases:
"We're just covering our bases" it's like CYA ..Cover yer a$$"
and
It's like watching soup boil".takes a long time"

:mumble:
there 'syour upper to mid management translations for you

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
MunkeeHucker said:
there 'syour upper to mid management translations for you
"A watched pot doesn't boil' is an actual saying, but how it turned into soup boiling is the result of a moron's brain processing words.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah I suppose "covering our bases" is a bit of a stretch. But from a baseball perspective it sort of makes sense, the infield needs to cover all the bases. At least that was how I saw it. Maybe I would fit in well on your management team.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used, "that is outside our scope right now" outside of work twice on Sunday. It mademe feel dirty and had to take a shower.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've heard "covering our bases" quite a lot, not just from idiot management either - it's a common saying. Makes fine sense.

The second one is stupid, though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
binary visions said:
I've heard "covering our bases" quite a lot, not just from idiot management either - it's a common saying. Makes fine sense.

The second one is stupid, though.
Don't be stupid.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I suppose the "covering our bases" statement could qualify the speaker as a moron in your office just because the person who said it probably doesn't know a damn thing about baseball.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Echo said:
I suppose the "covering our bases" statement could qualify the speaker as a moron in your office just because the person who said it probably doesn't know a damn thing about baseball.
Nope, just NASCAR...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Eschew Obfuscation... look it up!" :thumb:
Eschew Obfuscation is a common humorous saying of English teachers and professors when lecturing about proper writing techniques. The two words literally mean "avoid unclarity" or "shun confusion". The two words are indeed real, but the irony comes from their uncommon (non-vulgar) usage in the English language.

My new favorite saying!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
Eschew Obfuscation is a common humorous saying of English teachers and professors when lecturing about proper writing techniques. The two words literally mean "avoid unclarity" or "shun confusion". The two words are indeed real, but the irony comes from their uncommon (non-vulgar) usage in the English language.

My new favorite saying!
Uh, yeah. I kinda already knew what the words meant. But thank you for the explaination.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"Covering our bases" is corporate-speak for "Covering our asses by lining up someone else to take the blame when we do not follow through"

"Watching soup boil" means you are being a lazy ass doing the minimum required to insure job security.

People are assholes.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
OGRipper said:
Make sure to use finger quotes every time you repeat those phrases. I love it when my co-workers do that. :mumble:
Hi, I'm Mr. Foley. I would like to talk about "Office Politics" today and there will be "some impropriety" during this lecture. Now, if anyone is "offended" by "spanking the monkey" please leave now. There's no reason to "take a long walk off a short pier" or to "jump to conclusions". I just merely would like to state that "there's no bridge too far" and that "a good bangin'" will cure most anything. Now a lot of people think that "walking around naked" is "offensive", but there's "no right or wrong answer". When "there's a pink elephant" in the room, don't "pay any attention" to it. Life is better "when you're on top of the world". Wanting is a wonderful thing, but "sh*t in one hand and want in the other, see which one fills up first". Thank you, "that is all".....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Misquotes from Dilbert.com

"It's so cold I'm getting goose nipples!"

"I'm as full of vinegar as a Christmas turkey."

"You can stop kicking this dead whale down the beach and find another hobby horse to beat to death."

"One man's trash is another man's garbage."

"I think I was speaking to Tom, and if it wasn't Tom I'm sure it was someone else."

"Check the pulse on the temperature."

"He's making a mole hill out of an issue."

"Don't look at me in that tone of voice!"

"I home school three children and am expecting a forth!"

"This is the worst headache I've ever had in the history of my head."

"Imitation is the sincerest form of mockery."

"The squeaky wheel gets the worm."

"You're not the smartest peanut in the turd."

"I'd give an arm to be ambidextrous!"

splat

Nam I am
We had one manger in a Meeting said , just remember . add on teaspoon of sewage to a gallon of wine , and you get 1 gallon sewage, but add 1 teaspoon of wine to a gallon of sewage and the same thing happends , you get one gallon of sewage. while it may be true , it left us all looking at each other , asking WTF did this have to do with our meeting.

Who else plays Buzzword bingo in meetings ?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
At least none of you have a boss that prints most of e-mail she sends people and hands all the recipients a hard copy...

Her way of "taking this offline" I suppose.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
splat said:
Who else plays Buzzword bingo in meetings ?
Most definitely. But have you ever played cubicle bingo? First, you need to be unfortunate enough to have particularly rude/obnoxious/asshole cube neighbors in your area. So make up the grid with all the rude/obnoxious/asshole things they do, and then start playing! (My cube neighbors at my last job sucked big time!!!)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
splat said:
We had one manger in a Meeting said , just remember . add on teaspoon of sewage to a gallon of wine , and you get 1 gallon sewage, but add 1 teaspoon of wine to a gallon of sewage and the same thing happends , you get one gallon of sewage. while it may be true , it left us all looking at each other , asking WTF did this have to do with our meeting.
I think it means don't go to that guy's house for wine tasting.