Quantcast

WTF Happened to Reno???

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So I was out with Crapacity today looking for somewhere to go throw ourselves into the great gravity abiss today in Reno, and low and behold everywhere I used to ride has been bulldozed in the name of development.

Seriously California, we love you as tourists, but stop moving here. Running out of land...

I want to put together a "concern" if you will of fellow like minded, less lycra wearing, gravity pursuing, friends of stupidity on dirt. Let me know who is in, I want to build a couple new secret DH trails and a dirt jump within the reno limits.

Tat

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Werd. I went back, and low and behold, All of our crap was bulldozed.

Reno's too crowded. Verdi's pretty badass though

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Man, it makes me sad and digusted. I am the son of a builder, and I have to hide my face in shame for it.

Let me see what can be done before the snow comes.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
dfinn said:
it's not going to be long until it's a really ugly place.
Its not ugly now? Those developments around Reno are the fugliest i have ever seen by a long shot. It's like the old Soviet Union.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wonder if we can get Yeltzin on a DH bike? Or Gorby on a dirt jumper. That'd I'd pay to see.

I am in the works on something for Reno to make it somewhere to come ride that you'd acutally want to go to. Think of it as Bootleg with a chair lift, and MGD.

For the time being, anyone want to help build some DJ's?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BeerDemon said:
Its not ugly now? Those developments around Reno are the fugliest i have ever seen by a long shot. It's like the old Soviet Union.

Which developments (area?) are we talking about?

But yea, reno is getting pretty bad.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
BeerDemon said:
It's either my 1st or 2nd most disliked city out of all the ones I've ever been too. I hate that I have to drive down there every day, but it's worth it for where I get to live. It's very ugly now, but it's getting worse on a daily basis.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
One of the worst sections of new "development" is the entirety of NW Reno. I went to school at McQueen, and back in the day it was great up there. Wide open tracks of land, places I could go drive my truck, or in the warm afternoons of fall and spring I could jump on my bike after 5th period was over, ride for a couple hours, come back, bang my girlfriend du jour in the back of my Suburban, and go home happy.

Now places I used to go to shoot my guns where I needed 4 wheel drive and big tires to get to I can now drive up the paved road and look at the swing set where my targets used to rest.

One of the best trails in reno for the XC types was one named the "Northgate Loop." That was gone about five years ago with the promise of a reconstruction of the trail by the home builder. That was five years back, the access points now have homes over them, the old hill you used to ride up has been leveled and homes are there now, and every access point into the mountains has been blocked. Not only does this suck, but I think via a constructive easement, this is also against the law and our rights. But, in Reno, who cares about rights if we can get just one more asshole from the east Bay to move in with his millions of dollars. Hell, he can go work at walmart and live off the interest his home sale from California is netting him. It makes me want to puke, or worse yet join ELF.

This used to be my home, but now its just some strip mall and tract home truck stop in the middle of the desert.

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
While I can not argue with how ugly and sad all of the development is, You guys have a very jaded view. I have lived in 5 different cities in the last three years, and I can say without a doubt that Reno is the best by a large factor. In Cincinnati I had to drive 3.5 hours to get to any type of downhill run, and that had an optimistic 400 feet of vert. In Columbus (2nd best) it rained so much that I got to ride the dirt jumps next to my appartment 3 times the entire summer. In Indianapolis, There was a completely flat 6 mile loop with the technical challenge of the bike lane on McCarran and lovely views of the gravel plant, and Lexington... Lexington is not even fit to be called Reno's grundle. Reno is definately not a model city, but I will gladly take the dirt for the proximity to skiing and riding, Plus the people I've met here are pretty cool.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
If you are gonna compare it to cities in the midwest and refer mostly to the riding nearby then I agree, it's almost always going to win.

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
It's much more than just the riding, but that is the common thread here. I could rant for pages...

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
you need to spend some time in a place that has great riding and you will sing a different tune. Move to the suburbs of Vancouver BC and then try defend Reno.

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
I am sure that there are better places out there, I'm just not convinced that Reno is the hole it is made out to be. Not taking riding into account, I have still enjoyed living here so far.

Who wouldn't want to live in Vancouver? If you can find me a job there, I'll pack tonight.

I am not trying to 'sell' anyone on this town, I just know first hand that there are *much* worse places to live.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
smedford said:
you need to spend some time in a place that has great riding and you will sing a different tune. Move to the suburbs of Vancouver BC and then try defend Reno.
Yeah I used to think that.

Then I saw some of the riding right around vancouver.

I'll take the tahoe/reno area quite happily.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Here's what happened .
The invasion of the Nor Cal people .
Too many new homes.
Those ****s that come into my community and destroy trails like Northgate or the ****ing Keystone canyon can pound sand, we try to do good things around here but everyime something good gets built they follow up by tearing it down.
But with all that said the more people to petition and protest the "cityization of Reno" the better off we all shall be .
*****Note if you don't like comming to Reno then don't it's no skin off our backs" ****** Besides all of the expansion hoopla Reno ****ing rules great places to still ride and Ripping riders so to everyone who dosen't like Reno "Thanks", to the ones who do its a great place to visit but wait until all the idiots who don't belong here move before you decide on living here and the the same is to be said about Tahoe that place is awesome except for the people who come in and **** everything up (i.e the bear incident ).
In closing go ride your ****ing bikes.........
"SAW"

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
You think you have a lot of people moving to your area? You think that you are losing places to ride? Come out to So Cal and I'll show you what it means to be overcrowded with out of towners moving here and having no place to ride.

I know what you mean though. It really sucks when the town you love turns into something you don't.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Don't get me wrong, I know Reno has some heavy hitters and some good places to ride, but damn if it doesn't make me sad to see many of the trails and spots I cut my teeth at as a young pup going under the blade of the grater in the name of almighty progress.

Its too bad that the state, and the community in general, does not recognize the importance of "alternaive" sports. Could you imagine them giving us land to work with gratis? I can't either, but its a nice thought.

What's even worse is when you're bombing down Keystone, go over the top of that up and down rock garden section by the burnt out car, and you come bouncing down on top of a family of five, complete with stroller, going up the back side of that. That sucks, and it'll land you with some busted ribs.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Anyone jumping Friday or Sunday? Furthermore, anyone want to do Cow Canyon with Linds and I on Saturday?