Quantcast

WTF is an eCheck?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
So after I bought a pair of shades off of teh Ebay, and I went to pay, as usual, and I noticed that the payment is having to clear and such jazz. Its taking like four days to be exact. And it sucks.

What is weird is that I have had this paypal account for a while and it has been linked to my checking account. The payment has always been instant, and now the eCheck crap. How do I get rid of it short of getting a credit card?

J

JRB

I don't know, but it pisses me off. I guess I could read on Paypal and find out.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
e-cheque is just another secure way of paying. Honestly, I'm not sure the difference, but it's exactly like an electronic cheque.

Hrm....possibly an e-cheque could go to anyone with e-mail, not just a paypal account? I really am not sure.

J

JRB

chicodude said:
I tried to find an answer on that site, but alas, I am here.
Yeah - I searched and know what an eCheck is, but don't know when and why they do that on your bank account now. I need to read those 312 unopened emails tonight, and maybe I can find the answer. :think:

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
My wife works is an Internal Fraud Investigator for a bank. She has explained it to me.

Basically they are taking the info off your check, transmitting the numbers (routing, account....etc) and doing the whole transaction electronically. Rather than sending paper copies of checks back and forth. The institution that takes your paper check is then supposed to destroy it. In the case of paying for something online where there is no hard copy involved...the assumption is verification of funds. Since it is a lot easier to obtain things fraudently over the internet, they are slowing things down to make sure things are legit.

Advice...if you can, always pay over the net with a credit card. If someone gets your number and uses your card, you can dispute it with the credit card company and not be liable for charges that you did not make. If you use your checking account, you have no recourse...you are SOL. Especially if some dirt bag goes hog wild with your checking account and you have the crappy overdraft protection....you could not only end up out of money, but owing the bank a whole bunch too!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I use PayPal e-checks when I use the dough out of my secret savings account. What happens is PayPal takes the dough from your account and holds is like a store would hold your check to verify the funds are good. Then after about 3 days, they release the funds to the person you were paying.

It is the exact same process when making an "instant payment" through PayPal only the funds aren't backed by a credit card, so it takes a few days to validate the information.

J

JRB

jimmydean said:
I use PayPal e-checks when I use the dough out of my secret savings account. What happens is PayPal takes the dough from your account and holds is like a store would hold your check to verify the funds are good. Then after about 3 days, they release the funds to the person you were paying.

It is the exact same process when making an "instant payment" through PayPal only the funds aren't backed by a credit card, so it takes a few days to validate the information.
Well then - it can't be honest. You surely don't seem honest. :D