Quantcast

WTF is wrong with my dog?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
She has been very demanding lately. She will sit at our feet & start with the quiet bark, if we don't respond, she cranks it up & stops using her 'inside voice' & barks for real. She does this after dinner, after a walk, after pooping and now in the middle of the night.

She basically gets whatever the fuck she wants, we have a doggie door so she can poop or pee or dig whenever she wants to, she has unfettered access to our bedroom, which contains hers (a walk-in closet with doggie bed).
I don't get it, but last night she woke me up barking at me from my side of the bed. I got up to pee & was gonna check to see if she had water, the doggie door was open etc, & when I got done she was in her bed grooming.

So weird.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Could be sick, take to the vet.
Dogs can also reflect your mood. If y'all are stressed out or arguing she could be getting anxious in return. Whenever I get stressed out my dog turns into a royal pain in the ass.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
you are not the alpha to her.
Yeah. This. She is the leader of our pack, at least she thinks so.

@Westy yeah, this is what I was worried about...that she may be in pain or discomfort. At a recent vet visit they said her back tooth maybe fucked up. I think it is time to get it looked at for real.

She is eating lots still & doesnt seem in pain when i poke on her gums & jaw.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my MIL has a dog (lab mix) and it's the same situation. ie dog thinks she is the alpha and does whatever. However, we dog sit for her fairly frequently, but have none of the same issues because the pooch knows we are in charge.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my MIL has a dog (lab mix) and it's the same situation. ie dog thinks she is the alpha and does whatever. However, we dog sit for her fairly frequently, but have none of the same issues because the pooch knows we are in charge.
Rox is a lab mix. She does it to our house guests too. She stops when they pet her but starts back once they stop. They think it is cute.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The number one problem I see people doing with dogs that think they are in charge is feeding them human food. Never give your dog food that they can perceive as yours.

The friends I have who watch my dog clearly give him food. He never spent a second begging in his life until he spent time there. Every time I get him back it takes a day or two of re-adjustment. Funniest part is that he figured out this big doe-eyed so-sad look that makes my friends wife go "Aaawh", and he gets a treat. He done trained her good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The number one problem I see people doing with dogs that think they are in charge is feeding them human food. Never give your dog food that they can perceive as yours.

The friends I have who watch my dog clearly give him food. He never spent a second begging in his life until he spent time there. Every time I get him back it takes a day or two of re-adjustment. Funniest part is that he figured out this big doe-eyed so-sad look that makes my friends wife go "Aaawh", and he gets a treat. He done trained her good.
that's my MIL's problem. she lets the dog basically do cleanup duty. When we watch the dog, i will once in a while give her a piece of something i've cooked, but never at the table or in the kitchen, and infrequently enough that she recognizes it as a treat.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Another vote for vet. Doesn't sound like an alpha type behavior, but better safe than sorry in my book.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Many moons ago I was staying with a friend whose pug ate about 6 really strong pot cookies. That poor dog acted really strange for quite a while. Check yo' stash.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Many moons ago I was staying with a friend whose pug ate about 6 really strong pot cookies. That poor dog acted really strange for quite a while. Check yo' stash.
yeah, have a story about my huskie from lots of moons ago.

i am beginning to think i have created a monster. Dont tell La it is my fault.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch

You're just a regular Cesar Chavez, aren't you.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
yeah, have a story about my huskie from lots of moons ago.
My husky (who's no longer with us) was the worlds biggest dog pot head ever. She ate bags of weed, rolling machines, wooden pipes, cookies, brownies, you name it.

The vet once told me that pot was bad for dogs. Said it gives them seizures. My dog only had 1 seizure (it killed her) but she was 12.5 years old at that time and hadn't smoked or eaten pot in at least 7 or 8 years.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Ee think it may be an exercise issue...or lack of it.

We did 9 miles & 3k' with her recently & she was dead to the world for 3 days.
Since she wakes up La most of the time, she is gonna start taking her on more runs.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
General consensus at the hacienda....This bitch is spoiled & aint nothing wrong with her.
A total good news/bad news situation.
good news- she aint got a brain tumor...bad news- I am terrible dog owner.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Agreed. My dog does not get people food, period. Because of this, she never begs for the food I am eating. Once I open the cookie jar though, it's beggin' time!

Occasionally I'll stand on the dog's favorite bed and not let her on it. She'll stand there with her head down and tail tucked, and I won't move until she lies down somewhere else.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Glad the pooch isn't sick. Mine has decided (after getting lots of "treats" from the inlaws at Thanksgiving) that he doesn't like his food anymore. I am the mean alpha that won't cave. After a week of refusing to eat, dumping his food out of the bowl, etc. I won and didn't cave...he eats his own food again and I eat mine.